Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th March 2014, 10:32

Mood
Dreaming

Default Is Facebook Evil?

Is Facebook Evil?

Many people seem to think so.

I keep hearing them being referred to as 'sinister' and 'creepy' with 'unknown motives'. And many people get snobby about people who use it, believing they are selling their data to an evil corporation who will use that data for unethical means. People think their use of targeted advertising and the way they seek out more users shows that they have dark motives.

To me their 'unknown motive' seems clear: they want to make money. They provide a free service so they need to make money somehow. Targeted advertising and getting more users creates more money. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't really understand all the paranoia surrounding it. Be wary of what you put out there sure, but I don't believe Facebook's goal is to take over the world.

What do you think?
Old 27th March 2014, 10:44

Default Re: Is Facebook Evil?

I don't believe they, as a business, are evil. I don't think they have the users best interests at heart at all though. They seem to make it difficult to maintain privacy. The options are there but hard to find and get a grasp on. There is definitely a big brother overtone to it. I wouldn't entirely trust them to be honest. I think I'm actually being too kind to them.

My main problem is what Facebook does to people. They call it the social network but I'm not so sure. I've been at concerts, lost in the experience and watched people update their status. 'Having the time of my life! Radiohead are now playing creep' Jesus. All that checking in nonsense. People seem to be bit parts in their own lives and unable to live in the moment. I am fine with people uploading photos and comments of a great day they had recently........but while it's actually still happening? Fu*! right off with that. A constant search for validation of their own life. 'Look at me. I'm doing stuff. I'm having fun. I have a life' Constantly taking photos out of context whilst doing the most mundane things and uploading them. 'Say cheese and stick your tongue out, We're mad eh? Lolz. Look at us having a great time tidying the house'

I hate everything to do with how it's used and designed. Now, there are people that use it as a great tool. Most don't though.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:47

Mood
Bitching

a business wants to make money. simples
Old 27th March 2014, 10:51

Mood
Dreaming

^^ Yes I agree with that. Their default options are rubbish. So many people have open profiles and don't even realise. I see really private pictures and status comments sometimes from people I'm not friends with, they spring up on my newsfeed because a friend comments on it. The default should definitely be 'only friends can see my pictures/posts'.

And yes I find Facebook extremely annoying with the way people use it. I have to block most people because it's promoting this 'Look at me!!!!!' obsession we have going on at the moment. I wouldn't post a picture of my dinner or tell everyone I have a cold because I know people don't really need/want to know that. And also it shows you how racist/homophobic/sexist/nasty some of the 'nice' people you've met in real life really are!
But Facebook does have its uses and I feel it gives me more than I give it (especially as I use adblocker! ).
Old 27th March 2014, 11:37

^Yeah, lots of people are just not tech savvy enough to protect their privacy. Facebook's engine is just not user friendly. They keep changing things also.

I agree that you get a glimpse of people, that you thought you knew well, acting very differently. Maybe that place distorts their moral compass. I've seen jokes about the holocaust, 9/11, murders etc. It definitely gives you an insight into others who maybe feel more relaxed behind their laptop. Virtual alcohol for the masses.

I'm glad it's working for you Amber. It can be a good thing.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:37

Does this stem from the minecraft maker's decision?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...ok-buyout.html
Old 27th March 2014, 11:48

^Interesting.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:50

Mood
Dreaming

^^ Since the announcement I've been hearing these Facebook conspiracy theories everywhere. I really shouldn't read comments below news articles...

But yes I saw the comments from him too. It sounds like he just wants VR to be about games and nothing else. But I think VR has a lot of potential for games and for many other things. If it's to be successful and mainstream I think it's a good thing if they focus on things other than gaming too, something which Facebook is looking at.
Old 27th March 2014, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman
I don't believe they, as a business, are evil. I don't think they have the users best interests at heart at all though. They seem to make it difficult to maintain privacy. The options are there but hard to find and get a grasp on. There is definitely a big brother overtone to it. I wouldn't entirely trust them to be honest. I think I'm actually being too kind to them.

My main problem is what Facebook does to people. They call it the social network but I'm not so sure. I've been at concerts, lost in the experience and watched people update their status. 'Having the time of my life! Radiohead are now playing creep' Jesus. All that checking in nonsense. People seem to be bit parts in their own lives and unable to live in the moment. I am fine with people uploading photos and comments of a great day they had recently........but while it's actually still happening? Fu*! right off with that. A constant search for validation of their own life. 'Look at me. I'm doing stuff. I'm having fun. I have a life' Constantly taking photos out of context whilst doing the most mundane things and uploading them. 'Say cheese and stick your tongue out, We're mad eh? Lolz. Look at us having a great time tidying the house'

I hate everything to do with how it's used and designed. Now, there are people that use it as a great tool. Most don't though.
That must have been a long time ago, they haven't played Creep for ages

But yeah, I agree with the rest of what you've written, mindless status updates was one of the reasons I deactivated it, along with seeing how everyone's lives seemed to be so much better than mine.
Old 27th March 2014, 14:30

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman
I've been at concerts, lost in the experience and watched people update their status. 'Having the time of my life! Radiohead are now playing creep' Jesus. All that checking in nonsense. People seem to be bit parts in their own lives and unable to live in the moment. I am fine with people uploading photos and comments of a great day they had recently........but while it's actually still happening? Fu*! right off with that. A constant search for validation of their own life. 'Look at me. I'm doing stuff. I'm having fun. I have a life' Constantly taking photos out of context whilst doing the most mundane things and uploading them. 'Say cheese and stick your tongue out, We're mad eh? Lolz. Look at us having a great time tidying the house'

Old 27th March 2014, 17:38

Mood
Balanced

I don't have a fb account, I have had a look at some accounts form the post your fb on this forum and I don't understand it, my only other awareness of fb is from the Jeremy Kyle show, and that seems to be the route of false information and bullying, maybe my mind just isn't wired properly as I don't understand why people want to share such information with all and sundry.
Old 27th March 2014, 17:56

Mood
Tired

I wouldn't go as far as say Facebook are 'evil', but it seems scary that they have many peoples' private information in their hands, and there's no guarantee you can 'delete' yourself from Facebook.

With their purchase of Oculus VR, we could see virtual reality being used in social aspects, besides gaming, so that could prove interesting, yet scary.