Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st March 2020, 09:50

Mood
Balanced

Default Potential interesting long term side effects of latest Corona pandemic

Been a lot of interesting unforseen developments as a result of how companies and government are tackling new approaches to things as a result of the Corona virus.

Government consider instituting a form of universal basic income.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9413046.html

Some prisoners released from prisons in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51947802

Theatre films being rushed to digital download services.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/new-movi...onic-bloodshot

Then there is the long term effect of outsourcing to China and international trade, immigration, travel, workers rights and the environment.

Clearer water, cleaner air: The environmental effects of coronavirus

https://www.france24.com/en/20200320...of-coronavirus
Old 21st March 2020, 12:19

Default Re: Potential interesting long term side effects of latest Corona pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
If one can work from home is a mandatory office as important as it seemed.
Old 21st March 2020, 13:06

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Potential interesting long term side effects of latest Corona pandemic

The roads are a bit quieter, which is good,
Other than that, it just feels like business as usual,

Self-isolating - check
Social distancing - check
Staying indoors - check
Washing hands often - check
Handling commonly used items with extra care not to spread germs - check
Pervading feeling of tension every day - check

It's gave me a plausible excuse now to avoid many opportunities for social engagements - result
Old 21st March 2020, 13:56

Mood
Alienated

^ indeed

Theres a few of them at work pulling their hair out

We cant go to the pub..theres no football on tv..were sitting around bored I CANT COPE WITH THISSS IM GOINGG MADDD

..My weekends are exactly the same, only now I don't have the guilt looming over me that I'm wasting my free time on my playstation..when theres not really much else I can do now even if I wanted to
Old 21st March 2020, 18:10

Very interesting, I didn't considered the long term side effects. And all it took was for one person to eat a mother f*cking bat.
Old 21st March 2020, 18:27

^ has anyone checked on Ozzy Osborne?
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
^ has anyone checked on Ozzy Osborne?
'Patient Zero' perhaps?
Old 22nd March 2020, 23:15

Two predictions: an increase in both relationship breakdowns and mental illness. Right now, families are pulling together. Indeed, it is making relationships stronger, as people let go of petty grievances, support one another, realise what really matters, etc. But it won’t last. Unless there are some effective antiviral drugs, or more efficient ways of testing (both possible), this is going to turn into a grind. The kids are off school for the next three weeks. They may even be off for months. But their parents can’t let them out to mix with groups of friends, nor can they dump them on the grandparents. Then there is the massive economic hit, which means loss of career, small businesses folding up, stress, worry, etc. Pubs are closed, and so are cafes and shops, so people have nowhere to let off steam. Think how hard it is to sustain a marriage at the best of times! Now add in the following:

- Kids under your feet all day (bored, arguing with their siblings, etc)
- Money worries
- Loss of a career or job you loved
- The little business you built up collapsing
- Having to work from home with your husband or wife, so you never get a break from them
- Constant fear of getting ill, or of your mum or dad getting ill
- The weather changing to miserable, wet gloom

Put all those things together and you have a recipe for disaster, especially if the marriage is going through a bad patch anyway. It all depends how long this lasts. People can cope with a crisis. In fact, they often rise to it. It’s the long grind that gets them. Even being ultra optimistic, it’s hard to see much changing in the next few weeks.

After a few weeks of this, you will see an upsurge in

- Anxiety
- Domestic violence
- Suicide
- Alcoholism
- Self-harm
- Relationship breakdown
- Drug use (especially abuse of prescription drugs)

But if this goes on for months, I shudder to think.
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:13

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm really lucky that me and my partner spend a lot of time around the house together already, so this having to stay at home thing doesn't make things much different for us. But we don't literally spend all our time next to eachother in the same room, in fact we spend a lot of time in seperate rooms doing our own thing. I couldn't stand being around someone all the time!
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
^I think that's a really good point. I would imagine it will be possible in the future (if isolation hits the 3 week mark) to map social spikes in relation to marital breakdown, mental illness and pregnancy. Lots of free time for boredom ****ing, but also to realise in the absence of the usual release valves that one's partner is insufferable - as so many partners invariably are.

If I had a girlfriend, I couldn't think of anything more terrible than being around her all day. So many people will be secretly fearful of what is to come - being stuck indoors with their nagging and annoying partner and their irritating kids.
Obviously we have no idea how this will pan out. I suspect a drug will be developed that massively reduces the effect of the virus on the body, and I suspect it will appear sooner than predicted. If, however, no solution is found and we have to practise a kind of semi-lockdown for months, working from home and only going outside to exercise or buy food, then how can there not be an upsurge in addiction, alcoholism, depression, divorce and domestic violence!? To make it even worse we now live in ridiculously tiny houses. Most families only survive because the members have so much time apart. I have read several posts and articles in which people talk about their partner ****ing them off after just a couple of days working from home. Throw bored kids into that mix, and make it last for months Nightmare.

I doubt it will take three weeks for problems to arise. It would be interesting to see whether the emergency services notice a spike in call outs to domestic arguments/violence in the next five days. I guess it’s just inevitable. All next week, up and down the country, you will have couples working from home, with kids under their feet (who can’t hang out with their friends or spend the day with grandparents) AND the constant stress of the virus itself, plus fears of a looming recession. The next few days are going to be one hell of a strain. But if that situation goes on for two, three, four weeks. It’s just unsustainable.
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I'm really lucky that me and my partner spend a lot of time around the house together already, so this having to stay at home thing doesn't make things much different for us. But we don't literally spend all our time next to eachother in the same room, in fact we spend a lot of time in seperate rooms doing our own thing. I couldn't stand being around someone all the time!
It will be kids who tip people over the edge. In the coming days, couples are going to be in a unique situation. It is unusual for schools to close, but it is even MORE unusual to tell the parents they can’t use childminders or grandparents to look after them. Even worse, the children can’t go and spend the day playing with their friends. Instead, the kids are going to be there, 24/7, bored and bickering with their siblings. Then one partner, who is now working from home, will yell at the other partner to keep them quiet as he, or she, needs to concentrate, which will lead to rows between the couple. It’s going to be a nightmare.
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:55

Mood
Cynical

^ I think you're right, having kids at home with make things a lot more difficult.
Old 23rd March 2020, 06:16

Depressing thoughts at 5am:
"At least 300,000 premature deaths, and $90 billion in direct healthcare costs are caused by obesity and sedentary lifestyle per year in the US alone" (Wikipedia)
Aren't we now basically forcing/encouraging everyone to do exactly that? It can't end well.
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:24

Quote:
^ I'm really lucky that me and my partner spend a lot of time around the house together already, so this having to stay at home thing doesn't make things much different for us.
We're in a similar situation.
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:29

Quote:
Same here.
Although my husband mostly works from home we spend a lot of our time in separate rooms. I would probably drive him insane if it wasn't this way
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:42

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm guessing it's probably more difficult for people who are used to being apart for atleast 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Or maybe for some people it's nice to have more time together for a while, it probably depends