SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th July 2018, 20:59

Mood
Lonely

Default Self-soothing methods.

I’ve been working on using distraction methods and coping strategies for when I’m feeling really low, or having SH thoughts.

Does anyone else do this? What sort of ideas do you use?

Old 16th July 2018, 09:56

Default Re: Self-soothing methods.

When I worked in a DBT unit. I helped a few clients put together a ***8216;self soothing***8217; box, It should be individually tailored to you and what you find helpful to a degree but I always felt it important to include items with a tactile nature , Hand creams and moisturisers, a comforting item of clothing ( a big hoodie , a hat ,fluffy sweater e.tc) some people had sweets that you can combine with mindfulness skills by placing the sweet in your mouths and just trying to focus on the mouth feel and taste . I had a couple of clients who found crochet incredibly helpful.
Personally when I have been in a pattern of self harm it was always a kind of ritualistic process so I found having all my items in a box I could reach for in a crises was helpful in replacing that aspect in a more positive sense.
Old 24th July 2018, 04:07

Mood
Lonely

I completely forgot I posted this, but I did read the replies at the time and want to say Thank you for replying guys. I feel really inadequate to write a good enough response for some reason, I’ve been a bit brain dead recently. I hope you understand and it doesn’t look like I’m deliberately ignoring you.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:16

Long meditation tracks help me. 15 - 30 minutes of chilled out sounds helps me re-focus and take my mind to a different place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwaVOttz1ws