SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th November 2016, 10:45

Mood
Worried

Default Re: Amazingly brave things you've done that blow the pants of non-SA people

^^^ you did it though!! Wow!

I'm going to Spain for a month on my own next month. If I don't freak out and run away!
Old 7th November 2016, 10:52

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: Amazingly brave things you've done that blow the pants of non-SA people

I've been to Italy, Belgium and Sweden on my own

You enjoy it in a different way..feels more like an adventure than a holiday!
Old 7th November 2016, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose
^ wow that's a brave thing to do! Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
^^I second that, that's very challenging Northern Natterer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieLu
^^^ you did it though!! Wow!

I'm going to Spain for a month on my own next month. If I don't freak out and run away!
Thank you all. Good luck AnnieLu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Treatment
I've been to Italy, Belgium and Sweden on my own

You enjoy it in a different way..feels more like an adventure than a holiday!
Well done Silent Treatment!
Old 9th November 2016, 15:11

I signed up to a counselling skills course a few months ago, and I'm still attending despite often feeling I'm way outside of my comfort zone (like, a few zillion light years outside of it). It rolls a few of my worst fears into one - having to pair up with people I don't know and talk about myself for 5 minutes straight (not really being given specific questions to answer or topics to address) whilst being observed by another person, having to hand in a journal where I try to be self-reflective but not enough to let on that I'm actually a total fruit loop, and sitting in a class for 3 hours at a time, in a circle, petrified about having to speak.

Not sure if this is brave or just crazy!
Old 9th November 2016, 15:42
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

^ It's brave Xithium
Hope you keep at it
Old 9th November 2016, 19:15

First time I spoke at a conference was by far the most terrifying thing I've ever done, traumatic. Also taught courses to up to 150 undergrads - walking into that lecture theatre was tough. And moved to France recently, bit mental...
Old 9th November 2016, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
^ It's brave Xithium
Hope you keep at it
Thank you! I've felt like throwing in the towel multiple times, but come away after each class feeling glad that I'm challenging myself. I managed to talk for 10 minutes straight during the latest session, which is really anxiety-provoking for me when the person listening isn't allowed to ask any questions to ease the tension. But... I survived. Because of the intensity, it's making social situations outside of the class feel less scary, I think, so that's a definite positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mils
First time I spoke at a conference was by far the most terrifying thing I've ever done, traumatic. Also taught courses to up to 150 undergrads - walking into that lecture theatre was tough. And moved to France recently, bit mental...
Wow, well done!