SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th July 2020, 12:03

Default Re: The Autism, Asperger's and ASD Thread

All good Dougella. Your welcome. You guys sound like a good bunch. I am sorry it is so hard for people to get assistance. Your are correct. I had to appeal more than once. Lot's of paper work, historical evidence and all that. I was already in the system for a long time where in the end both my wife and I had to educate ourselves on how to jump the hoops and source out advocacy and so on. It saddens my greatly to know how many dysfunctional people would never be able to navigate the complexity of applying for such funding. Invisible illness is a very hard task to sell.

I don't mean to go on again ... I could write a book on how the system enables so many of us to be worse than what we really need be, yet that is not to take away the legitimacy of anyone's identified dysfunction in this messed up world.

End of story; I completely agree with you and think it's very sad. I am grateful and do my best to be mindful of those similar to me who are unable to be helped. Building a case can be very exhausting and I sometimes wonder if I have become worse because of the extreme requirements and conditions they place on me. Again that is another story ... perhaps another thread starter.

Your 1000% on the money!
Old 8th July 2020, 12:12

Hi imperfect_perfectionist; - That's a tough one. Many of us don't know how lucky we are in other parts to the world. One of my family members is slowly coming around to opening up. The choice is between a psychotic illness with all the associated hard core drugs ... or an education in ASD and it's related traits.

Sadly she has struggled with a case of vanity thinking I and others like me are (edit word sorry - basically a very negative word that is demeaning). I was able to show her a few well known people on Ted Talks and the like ... I even explained that Elon Musk has various traits and so on. I was just trying to make a point was all. I think she is finally getting it. Being different and struggling at some things does not mean we are always dysfunctional ... learning how special we are is also an awesome discovery as well. Many labels get a bad rap. Personally I try very much not to identify with one thing.

I wish you and your family all the best regarding the challenges you all face.
Old 8th July 2020, 18:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^^ I'm not sure which is worse , genuine difficulties not being recognised or a failure to see beyond a person's difficulties to the strengths they have .
Old 17th July 2020, 08:13
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

The psychiatric management of autism in adults

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/improving-...-reports/cr228
Old 19th July 2020, 00:34

From the above link:

Through the implementation of the guidance and recommendations in this Report, real progress can be made in ensuring that people with autism who also have a psychiatric disorder get the treatment that they need. Too many people currently in this situation are having all of their symptoms attributed to autism solely.

In my family's case it is the opposite for both myself and is also for my daughter where PTSD blankets diagnosis for ASD where the latter condition is quite prevalent throughout my family.

The Psychiatric industry can make a lot of money through misdiagnosis. It's also more complacent to write off ASD traits for psychiatric conditions and thus more appointments and prescriptions. ASD in Adults is even more complex to DX for those who have PTSD, which makes the ending of that statement quite the reverse. Misdiagnosis of psychiatric disorders are generally the result with such cases. They do it and have done it so readily with my family which is a long complex historical case. Especially the serial packet variety of health care workers just starting out. Not discounting complacency with the experienced + agenda driven industrialization. I talk from personal experience covering decades having seen many in my family through all the assessments, Dxs, medications, sessions and so. This including extend family as well. I don't mind speaking out. I admit my bothers short demise written of as schizophrenia was undoubtedly drug induced (clinically & religiously induced as well), however his disregarded ADHD lead to the other labels that eventually took hold of his identity and ultimately his quick decent and demise. Similar context but same view for me. Again - more conditions more easily summarized and prescribed as text book solutions.

I am not suggesting the point being made with the above statement does not have any merit. It's the ending of that statement where the hook sinks in. Given how often psychiatric disorders are created and diagnosed because of un-diagnosed ASD or ADHD or take your pick of and complex, lengthy hard working condition to DX. I can tell you when it comes to the stigma of mental health conditions Vs being understood from an ASD position (or any inherent one that the texts books can't so easily or quickly define) Identifying purely with a psychiatric condition is way more detrimental. The scope for being misunderstood and treated poorly makes this misdiagnosed individuals cannon fodder for the industry. (Talk about easily led)

If I had a dollar for every time I had one of my ASD traits or some other hard balled time consuming inappropriate and societal unaccepted attribute blamed on a psychiatric disorder, I would be as rich as Elon Musk. Since coming to understand ASD - both myself and daughter have had less so called psychiatric disorders. I now don't need meds and my daughter takes we less! Go figure. Had my Grandson not been picked up so early, I am positive he would be beaming on so kind of kiddy control drug.

So from my experience and perspective the last bit of that statement smells like agenda to me. There may be a point in it, but the scales and scope for exploitation ring bells for me. Adult ASD - Adult ADHD traits are far easier to dismiss making the added labels of whatever psychiatric disorder a complacent practice and in many cases more appropriate means for those looking to advance their own ... yadda yadda. The mental health sector is major business this day and age open to exploitation like all the rest. The commercialization of it sees many of these reports written in the same way corporations sell whatever. Sure I can be viewed as bias ... but I have nothing to gain unless; I am just bolstering my own ego? This take of mine more falls into the identity trap which is quite a concern to me. It's a concern I think many of us should see in it's own right, one that goes a little more deeply ... yet it is quite simple once you understand in your own way. Nothing beats personal experience. Thus it is very hard to educate those deeply entrenched with their identity (myself included) and just as plexed telling those freshly conditioned. So it is that I feel like I am talking to myself. I certainly mean no disrespect.

Alas ... Just my view point. Forgive me if it differs. Matters little if I am understood. I feel much better for having not let that slide.

Let's just blame my psychiatric disorder for the difference of opinion ... and for the way it's written we can blame my ASD

Just kidding. Alas my 2 cents.

Thanks for the hearing.
Old 19th July 2020, 13:14
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ Same situation.

Late 1973-see pdoc for 1st time
May 1975 - first hospitalisation
1992- Asperger's an official dx
May 2019- I get the Asperger's dx

It took moving, to be near my stepdaughter, and thus under a different mental health trust, to be taken seriously.

The previous trust's professionals paid next to no attention to my mentions of there being more going on than just serious/severe mental illness. Incompetence and myopia are not the kind of thing you need from professionals when it comes to doing as well as possible. It leads to inadequate, and poor,
help,support and treatment.
Old 1st August 2020, 19:30
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 18th September 2020, 16:46

Working in retail with autism
Old 18th September 2020, 19:32
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Removed.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:55

^ That’s too big a post
Old 18th September 2020, 21:43
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ If you don't like it you can always ask a mod to remove it
Old 18th September 2020, 21:54

Nah, that's petty. I don't post to please you. I post what's on my mind and always will as long as it's not offensive.
Old 19th September 2020, 00:26

Interesting ted talk if you want to watch

Old 26th October 2020, 21:31

Mood
Cynical

Old 11th November 2020, 12:47
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Do you find yourself sometimes repeating yourself? Not in a ' I forget i'd told that story before' kind of way, but repeating words and phrases. I'll find myself doing it sometimes. I can be aware I'm doing it at a certain level, but it's still uttered.

The thing is it's not something I do when I'm with people. Whether that means anything I don't know.
Old 11th November 2020, 13:54

Mood
Cynical

^ It could be a verbal/vocal stim?
Old 11th November 2020, 14:41
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ That's a good point.
Old 11th November 2020, 15:24

Mood
Cynical

^ Do you do much stimming that you're aware of?
Old 11th November 2020, 17:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'll rock sometimes when a little stressed.Have this habit of covering my ears and closing my eyes when it comes to certain TV/movie scenes.

https://www.healthline.com/health/au...ming#behaviors That indicates the repeating and rocking might be stimming.
Old 11th November 2020, 19:12

Mood
Cynical

^ Ah yes, I've heard of rocking as stimming before. I didn't know that repeating words or phrases could be stimming until very recently though, interesting.
Old 11th November 2020, 19:41

I tend to sing a bit when I'm stressed.
Old 21st November 2020, 01:13

I’m watching this video on eye contact and autism. I think I probably do the 2:55 without knowing as I was always told to look people in the eye. People always react like I’m staring at them. I think the result is that I have maybe became more afraid of looking people in the eye. But then as well I maybe subconsciously have the flat effect when anxious so come across even more socially awkward without meaning to.

https://youtu.be/DWMuQ7MODvk
Old 29th November 2020, 20:00
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Investigating the overlaps in autism and personality disorder diagnoses in women

Quote:
Dr Kirsten Barnicot, Division of Health Services Research and Management, and collaborators at the University of Oxford and University College London have been awarded £80,000 by the mental health research fund, Words that Carry On (WTCO).

The funding will support a new project which will examine why autism can be missed or misdiagnosed in women. People with a female gender identity and people assigned female gender at birth, but identifying differently, will be included in the research. The aim of the project is to deliver practical guidance for clinicians and mental health service-users to help minimise the stress and trauma that can accompany inaccurate diagnoses.

WTCO was set up in 2018 by the family and friends of Lindsay Riddoch, who took her own life after a long struggle with mental health problems. WTCO worked with the research charity, The McPin Foundation, to raise the funds for the award.

The award requires that researchers use the expertise of individuals with lived experience, of autism and/or the difficulties associated with the diagnosis of personality disorder, and that the work produces useful knowledge that can be implemented to improve people’s lives.
https://www.city.ac.uk/news/2020/nov...iagnoses-women
Old 16th December 2020, 18:25

Do autistic YouTubers who look approachable at first glance really have it easier?

Old 4th January 2021, 22:21

I've waited two and a half plus years after a referral from the NHS and heard nothing.
Old 5th January 2021, 02:28

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
Hi Percy

I had the assessment in mid-November over video link. It was with a nurse, who was very understanding and nice, I was pleasantly surprised! (I'd been dreading it because some MH assessments I've had previously have been crap in that respect.) Basically he told me that autism looked highly likely, and that he'd start writing his report straight away, but that he had to confirm it with the psychiatrist who would make the formal diagnosis. I haven't heard anything since and am getting a bit worried

Part of the reason I came back here was to ask - how long after the assessment itself did everyone wait to receive a diagnosis in writing?

I've been thinking of emailing them to enquire but it's difficult, I don't want to bother them.
Well i had an assessment with a psychiatrist who told me straight away that i was on the spectrum. I didn't have to wait.

You could chase them up and see what the delay is.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:01
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Autism and social anxiety: qualitative research shows how we can help

Quote:
Autism spectrum conditions (ASC) affect at least 1% of the population (Brugha et al., 2011) with symptoms including social communication difficulties, obsessive interests, repetitive behaviours, and increased or reduced perception of sensory input (American Psychiatric Association [APA], 2013). These neurodevelopmental differences lie on a spectrum spanning from subtle to severe which means many, especially girls who tend to mask symptoms, and will receive a late diagnosis (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence [NICE], 2012). This in turn can have an impact on mental health as the individual struggles to fit into a neurotypical world maladjusted to their needs, but without understanding the reasons why.
https://www.nationalelfservice.net/l...social-anxiety
Old 13th January 2021, 20:40

I was reading one researcher who thinks there are actually different impairments that are currently classified under the umbrella of ASD. Cannot give source, cannot find source.
Old 15th January 2021, 17:18
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
I have a diagnosis

This bit was particularly interesting:

It's good you got your diagnosis.I hope it can be accompanied with help and support to make your life better.

You have been given a more thorough explanation of things than I was. There was no mention of DSM 5 and severity with mine. All I know is that I was classical autism level for social communication &Asperger's level for social interaction.
Old 15th January 2021, 19:57

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: The Autism and Asperger's Thread

Congrats on the diagnosis tubbs, hopefully this'll make things easier.