SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th February 2017, 14:22

Default Remember me? Probably not!

Hi!
I just decided to pop in here and was amazed I remembered my username and password (on the third attempt). The forum told me I last visited 6 years ago and suggested I post on a thread that was closed 3 years ago!

I have fond memories of SAUK, but eventually decided, after several years on it, that I was reading the same stuff over and over. In 2004, I wrote a book about SA, but had no luck finding a publisher. Things have changed, though, and it looks as though it will be published, so I'm working on editing it and bringing it up to date. I can't give you any more details yet.

Just wondered if anyone here remembers me, though I doubt it.

And wherever you are, keep up the good work. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 26th February 2017, 15:13

Default Re: Remember me? Probably not!

I joined in forum several years ago so i would not know your username, thank you for sharing your news. I would be interested in your book maybe i could buy it when its published

What changed for you?
Old 26th February 2017, 20:06

Ooh, it's nice to be remembered

What changed for me? I often think nothing changed, but when I look back I realise I was in a different place. I suppose the biggest change for me came when I began to be open about having SA. It led to some interesting conversations and I've been surprised and pleased that so many people "get it" when I open up (mostly in writing, because talking is still hard).

Also, I've learned to be less hard on myself. I think therapists tend to concentrate on reducing anxiety and think a significant reduction must lead to desired results. But learning behaviours I should have learned decades ago is much harder for me. So I've accepted I'll probably never be the person I was meant to be and that's OK.

I'll announce here when the book is published. Thanks for the interest.
Old 26th February 2017, 21:16

Mood
Insomnious

I remember you. You were the guy with the Vauxhall corsa and the big eyebrows. How's spanky doing? I haven't heard from him in a while and I know you two were close. Have you mastered mandarin yet?
Old 26th February 2017, 21:41

I remember you Glad to hear the book's working out well, that must feel great after so many years.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:04

Thanks all!

Sorry, Fluorescent Grey, I think you've got the wrong person there.

The book is mostly to give an insight into SA. I do relate it to my experiences and also experiences of others who are quoted (anonymously and with permission) in it. I include my personal advice, but that's not the main feature.

Yes, Muggins. I come from the UK, but don't live there now.