SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th April 2017, 22:17

Mood
Cheerful

Default Need university help/advice?

hellooo
I went to uni last september but had to take a year out they said I can come back this september but i'm scared i'm going to quit if my anxiety gets too bad.
My main problem with the course is presentations I can't do them in front of the class i've spoke to my tutor and all she can do is lower the number of people in the class to about 10 which is still too much but I don't want to miss out on going to uni because of this.
Just wondered is there a way out of presentations?
Does anyone know of any extra help that I can get to make uni abit easier?
Old 19th April 2017, 22:54

Default Re: Need university help/advice?

I have to say that doing the presentation helped build everyones confidence, but if it's so bad that you are completely unable to do it then prehaps talk to the university counsellors about it. They are supposed to make reasnable adjustments for your disability.

Just make sure you know what your talking about.
Watch lectures and ted talks on youtube for inspiration.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:42

There is a great sticky thread at the top of the SA Room about public speaking, you should read it. A lot of the advice is to do with very thorough preparation, and practice. Have you got friends or relatives you could practise in front of?

Propranolol would help with the shakiness - if you go down that route I suggest you ask for slow release propranolol rather than the usual type, which in my experience makes you feel exhausted for a couple of hours and then wears off.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:06

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
There are lots presentation hacks. PowerPoint is your friend. People look at the slides and not you. Also you can make a handout for people to look at instead of looking at you.

I would write scripts and learn them off by heart. I'd take the script in with me and have blank lines inbetween parts, so I could look up, if I felt able to, during those parts and not lose where I was up to. Or sometimes I'd use cue cards with the script on them ans then I'd be less likely to lose where I was up to.

Most people will be sitting there cacking themselves as they await their dreaded turn.

I found talking to other people about the nerves helped because other people felt the same. That was reassuring in a way and made me feel like my feelings were normal.

Perhaps check if your uni has mental health support. They should do. Mine had a lady who would do all the negotiating on your behalf e.g. if you needed extended deadlines. I can't remember her job title.

My uni had a brilliant counselling service (I'm someone who had bad experiences of counselling) and they had workshops to support confidence. It might be worth emailing them to see what support they can offer you right now and when you return. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help and support you in preparing to go back to uni.

Please don't let the presentations be the reason why you don't go back. There are ways of getting through them. I always used to give myself a treat after. Someone once said to me, "This time next week it won't even matter to you." When it's done then it's done!
Thanks for your advice
If I do go back I will try the powerpoint and handouts might be easier if noones looking at me.
Last time I did a presentation I froze when I got up there and couldn't get my words out, I really don't want that to happen again so im hoping the more organised I am with cue cards and scripts the less likely it is that thats going to happen again.

I will definitely look into what mental health support they have,I know they have a counselling service so will ask about that,might be nice to talk to someone if it all gets too much.

I've been worrying about it for ages so its nice to know there is ways of getting through them
Old 20th April 2017, 12:29

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk90
I have to say that doing the presentation helped build everyones confidence, but if it's so bad that you are completely unable to do it then prehaps talk to the university counsellors about it. They are supposed to make reasnable adjustments for your disability.

Just make sure you know what your talking about.
Watch lectures and ted talks on youtube for inspiration.
Thanks for your advice
I think if the presentation went well It would build my confidence its just convincing myself I can do it in the first place that's the hard bit. I will have a word with the counsellors see what they can do to help

I have never heard of ted talks so i'll give them a watch.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:46

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelwyn
There is a great sticky thread at the top of the SA Room about public speaking, you should read it. A lot of the advice is to do with very thorough preparation, and practice. Have you got friends or relatives you could practise in front of?

Propranolol would help with the shakiness - if you go down that route I suggest you ask for slow release propranolol rather than the usual type, which in my experience makes you feel exhausted for a couple of hours and then wears off.
Thanks for letting me know i'll definitely have a read through that.
I don't shake much really its more I get up there and freeze and just forget everything I was going to say,hopefully thorough preparation and practicing in front of family will help this
Old 20th April 2017, 20:39

Mood
Bashful

I've been to a few different unis and every one has let me not do presentations and do an alternative assessment. But at my last two unis I gave them a go and did them though I did have intense anxiety because I need to conquer my fears. Even the doctor gave me diazepam to take before if I needed them but I never did.
Old 20th April 2017, 21:32

Mood
Mellow

jobcentre are telling me to pursue my music therapy to adults and kids dream. its a nice feeling that everyone is finally on board with the employment thing. it requires further study for at least two years - but like do i care - it might be the way to go. almost thought about doing maths o grade again to quieten down educationalists in autumn coming. its a thought.