SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th May 2010, 19:58

Mood
Mellow

Default "Bigging" yourself up (bragging)

Does anyone struggle to do this with associated fears that people will perceive you as an attention seeker and so on? Are you comfortable being open with something you are proud of or take pride in?

Is it a healthy thing to do with in moderation to "big" yourself up now and then?
Old 15th May 2010, 20:34

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: "Bigging" yourself up (bragging)

If I ever do brag then I usually see it as a joke (Even if I feel a reason to brag) and make sure I put it across that way. I'm bad at taking compliments though, for some reason I hesitate to burst out laughing in exaggerated joy because somebody actually endorses something about me.
Old 15th May 2010, 20:55
Banned (at own request)

i think if its warrented i dont class it as bragging. not in a bad smug way. i do brag but not in a fake way if that makes sense. like i play guitar but dont brag cos i'm shite so i cant brag .

does that make sense . i dunno if you got it flaunt it kinda thing
Old 15th May 2010, 21:07

Mood
Breezy

This is bit of a touchy subject for me. I don't think I brag but I'm sure I get accused of it now and then. I think I tend to be matter of fact about my capabilities but I'm sure some people just take that as conceited arrogance but maybe I'm biased, who knows?

It doesn't seem very socially acceptable (especially in Britain) to be honest about your abilities but my dad always brought me up as a no bullshit type of person which is quite a southern chinese trait. When I was younger I tended to be much more up front but now days I don't mention stuff unless someone brings something up that's related or asks me directly about a subject. And that's due to a fear of being judged as arrogant. Then I see someone else talking freely about their achievements and enviously think 'Why can't I do that without being called arrogant?' I'm sure it's just how I come across unfortunately
Old 16th May 2010, 13:55

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
This is bit of a touchy subject for me. I don't think I brag but I'm sure I get accused of it now and then. I think I tend to be matter of fact about my capabilities but I'm sure some people just take that as conceited arrogance but maybe I'm biased, who knows?

It doesn't seem very socially acceptable (especially in Britain) to be honest about your abilities but my dad always brought me up as a no bullshit type of person which is quite a southern chinese trait. When I was younger I tended to be much more up front but now days I don't mention stuff unless someone brings something up that's related or asks me directly about a subject. And that's due to a fear of being judged as arrogant. Then I see someone else talking freely about their achievements and enviously think 'Why can't I do that without being called arrogant?' I'm sure it's just how I come across unfortunately
I understand where you are coming from totally, a lot of it comes down to parenting and how you were brought up I feel as you said. For myself, having low-self esteem especially in my childhood I always feel guilty and question my needs when I want to tell someone about what I have done that I feel proud of or happy with but most things I want to tell people I feel are superficial and pointless really, so I think why should I need to seek affirmations and compliments from people to boost my confidence and fragile ego plus I really dislike being the centre of attention and focus.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:46

I feel so bad and negative about myself that I would find it extremely difficult to brag.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:49

I don't like to brag, but, I'm the best at everything! :rolleyes:
Old 16th May 2010, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitGirl
I'm not impressed by silly things like money , flash cars etc
At last someone who thinks the same as me!
Old 17th May 2010, 07:51

^ I relate.
Bragging is quite a negative thing but just being truthful saying things you've done shouldn't really be perceived as bragging by others. I think it is all about how it's done. Some people will think someone who has been on a nice holiday and is eager to tell people about it is bragging for instance when generally the person just has had a lovely time and wants to tell someone about it. If the person says things to make you feel small whilst constantly going on about how wonderful they are then I think that comes across as bragging and negative. It's good to have self-esteem and awareness of our achievements as long as we also have the same attitude towards others.
Closed Thread