SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th May 2008, 00:37

Default "Being a strong/weak person"

What does it mean?!

I have been told by various different people, all of whom say it with an air of undefeatable certainty, that I am either a "strong" or "weak" "person".

Yet they do not seem to know what they mean. Fiction and literature also talk about it, also with this irritating air that you cannot help it, you are either strong or weak.

It seems very Nietzchean really- that everyone is either a leader or a follower, and can do nothing to change it.

Can one make oneself "stronger", if you are already, or can one change from a "weak" to a "strong" person? Is it even a valid concept at all?

Many thanks
Old 7th May 2008, 00:47

Default Re: "Being a strong/weak person"

I reckon it depends purely on the situation. Obviously some people are stronger at some things and weaker at others, there are no exceptions. As s person, I think the notion of being strong or weak probably has somthing to do with willpower, yet your willpower can also vary in different situations. I think that the idea a person is born strong or weak in that sense is bollocks. Of course again it depends on what you mean by strong and weak. If theyre 10 minutes old and can benchpress a small car theyre probably strong in one sense... Anyway i think the general idea of a strong person (besides muscles) is willpower and how determined they are, whether they give up a lot or always keep fighting. I know that when it comes to social anxiety im a weak person, but when it comes to the things im good at im strong willed, and wont give up stuff I find hard. I dunno, Id say that average people are not strong or weak. Thats thinking in black and white terms.
Old 7th May 2008, 00:56

Those are two very vague terms, they could mean anything really, depending on cultural norms. In Britain it has been traditionally considered weak to show emotion, so "strong" people in this context would be expected not to show emotions, or get visibly upset. "Strong" could also mean assertive or even aggressive, someone who gets what they want from people, and takes no crap from anyone. I think you can become "stronger" mentally, but it is very much like getting stronger physically, it takes constant hard work and some people will always have a natural advantage over others.
Old 7th May 2008, 08:53

Mood
Inspired

I think the important thing is to not equate SA to weakness. Strength might be defined as bravery in dealing with what you fear . Sa gives you a false fear of people . but whether you are brave or not depends on how dangerous you THINK a situation is. Not on how dangerous it really is.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:37

Way to boost peoples ego who are ignorant/arrogent whatever.

Know lots of sa people who push through their fears while non sa people who probably run away and hide at any danger. Even if a sa person is hiding away it doesnt mean they weak but just againts a massive amount of problems in their head that make something much worse than it really is. Imo if they learn to overcome that without removing the fear but face it head on they are more brave than someone who doesnt have that fear.

Leadership particually is in general a personality trait but it can be learnt too as its also a way of thinking. Like you can learn confidence. Nothing to do with being strong or weak..! A artistic person isnt suddenly weak because he lacks leadership skills..! Thats rubbish.
Old 8th May 2008, 01:19

Mood
Tired

Theres always gonna be a perception. Based on psyical or how much somebody knows about you.

But is strong how much you can deal with while your living? or how long you can go on?
Closed Thread