SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th August 2010, 14:03

Default homophobia

My neigbour layed into a torrent of abuse at me last night saying she did not want gays living next door to her and she will have me put out (any thing is possible in Northern Ireland). We use to be quite friendly and even have a drink togather but i new she was a live wire. Her husband is a calm man but will not say anything to stop her verbal abuse. I have 2 options sell up and move or use the law against her and report to her the police. I have been going through a bad depression for the last few years and this does not help things. Its very scary when your abused like this am not sure what direction to take now. Any views would be aprreciated.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:31

Default Re: homophobia

This is what worries me if ever I move in with someone. I'm paranoid enough as it is even currently living with my parents!

I like to think that I'd keep myself to myself so as not to offend anyone but that's not good enough for some people.

Have you recently done anything in particular to turn your neighbour against you seeing as you say you used to have a drink together?
Old 10th August 2010, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
This is what worries me if ever I move in with someone. I'm paranoid enough as it is even currently living with my parents!

I like to think that I'd keep myself to myself so as not to offend anyone but that's not good enough for some people.

Have you recently done anything in particular to turn your neighbour against you seeing as you say you used to have a drink together?
we just kinda drifted apart she never has a good word to say about anybody and has a foul mouth. She seems to fall out with everyone. The strange thing is i have never told her am gay she is just making assumptions cause am not married.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:12

She can't have you "put out" for being gay. She must think she's living in Nazi Germany or something.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevets
She seems to fall out with everyone.
That just about says it all. She's the one with the real problem.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
She can't have you "put out" for being gay. She must think she's living in Nazi Germany or something.
He did say "anything is possible in Northern Ireland". I like to think it's not quite that extreme.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
I like to think it's not quite that extreme.
Yeah, I certainly hope not.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:31

wtf? did she say how she intended to have you 'put out'? by the law (obviously out of the question) or threatening other stuff?

how old is she?

sounds like she's just an arsehole, if she falls out with everyone she's probably always saying crazy empty shit like this and should be ignored.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:06

Many gaypeople in Northern Ireland have been intimdated out of their homes here, Northern Ireland has the masters of intimdation. I am having the estate agent round tomorrow.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:15
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Many gaypeople in Northern Ireland have been intimdated out of their homes here, Northern Ireland has the masters of intimdation. I am having the estate agent round tomorrow.
I'm really sorry to hear that. It's ashamed such bigotry still exists in the UK.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:29
Banned (at own request)

just ignore her. dont respond to it. like others have said she seems to have the problem as you said she is like it with everyone.

just ignore her unless it really gets out of hand then call the police. might be an idea to record any abuse you receive as evidence to present to the police .

homophobia isnt tolerated in this day and age . she needs to move with the times and get over it and concentrate on her own life
Old 10th August 2010, 17:17

I will see how things proceed, But am considering moving back to the uk into London where i did live for many years, really enjoyed the way Londoners dont talk to each other lol.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:41

Quote:
That's a terrible thing to feel like you might have to sell up and move because of one person's ignorance.
If you really believe these threats she's making though it might be a wise move. Sometimes getting the law involved doesn't help your immediate situation.

Hope something works out for you.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:46

Mood
Creative

Quote:
That's such a shame! If you ever wanted to move

Manchester would welcome you with arms outstretched
Old 10th August 2010, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
That's such a shame! If you ever wanted to move

Manchester would welcome you with arms outstretched
Old 10th August 2010, 18:08

That's just awful! And ridiculous. You shouldn't have to move just because she is 'offended'. Is she violent? Or just a loud mouth? I think she should be told that people can be whatever they want and live wherever they want and she can pack up and leave if it bothers her so much, she can't make you move to suit her, what does she think you're going to do? She needs to mind her own business and get on with her own life, and if she wants to tut she can do, but abuse and threats? Absurd.
I guess if it's getting you down though, moving to someplace else might be best. Though then she would win
Old 10th August 2010, 18:11

estate agent is coming at 10.30 am should have the board up for weekend.
I need to see my gp soon as my nerves are bad.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:42

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Yeah I'd heard mob rule often with paramilitary associations have quite an influence still in certain parts of NI. It's not just there it happens, in my town there is a bad estate where I went to view a house with my gf without knowing and while we waited for the estate agent to turn up about 30 chavs slowly appeared in an obvious attempt to intimidate us. The estate agent never showed. Later we heard that an Asian family had moved in and after 6 months had to move out after several arson attacks and a campaign of intimidation.

Sorry to hear you've been targeted. I'm assuming from your actions you're taking this threat seriously. Obviously you know what it's like around there better then any of us. Hope you can sort stuff out.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:53

If my depression was not so bad i may have been able to cope better.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:12

Mood
Blah

sadly being "put out" is a common threat people use in N.Ireland, sometimes it happens.. sometimes it doesn't. Its hard to know whether someone is serious or not. Most people who have a problem with that sort of thing don't let it go so moving may be your best option, although u shouldnt have to but I know what its like living with bad neighbours.

its all about who you know..

what area are you in jevets?
Old 14th August 2010, 21:35

Mood
Blah

Thats just a crappy situation for you and she sounds like a complete arse. I work in the field that deals with people who have been affected by this crap and I know the toll it can take. Its sad that its normally the person whose done nothing wrong that ends up moving.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniX
sadly being "put out" is a common threat people use in N.Ireland, sometimes it happens.. sometimes it doesn't. Its hard to know whether someone is serious or not. Most people who have a problem with that sort of thing don't let it go so moving may be your best option, although u shouldnt have to but I know what its like living with bad neighbours.

its all about who you know..

what area are you in jevets?
I am around the strangford area so not far from you really. I am just unlucky to be living beside a loon bin.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:49

Mood
Blah

I wouldn't have thought strangford was like that (I guess its not - its one person) but smaller towns have closer communities probably and don't like "change" or realising whats happening in the 21st century. I hate the people who listen to the news and hear something come up about same sex relationships and then they talk to the tv or people around them saying its not right etc.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniX
I wouldn't have thought strangford was like that (I guess its not - its one person) but smaller towns have closer communities probably and don't like "change" or realising whats happening in the 21st century. I hate the people who listen to the news and hear something come up about same sex relationships and then they talk to the tv or people around them saying its not right etc.
It is one person, I have decided to fight and not run whats the worst any person can do to you. I think Northern Ireland is changing big time, just a small group don't want to move on. I think most people with sa have a special insite into life.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:24

I really fear this, living next to people who hate gay people and make it obvious to me.
Closed Thread