SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th February 2020, 18:59

Default Starting with small interactions

Whether you want to be more social, make new friends, find the love of your life, I found that focusing on small moments, situations, when you want to express yourself is key. Life happens now and is it now that one must be self-aware and take action. I made this video about talking in the bus after work

Old 16th February 2020, 19:23

Default Re: Starting with small interactions

Great tip - stare at people's phone screens when on public transport and comment on what they're looking at. Works every time.
Old 19th February 2020, 07:39

I think the video is a good example of how you can have a pleasant interaction and it can ease everyones social awkwardness.

But its also a good example of the other thread mentioning introversion and extroversion. Its very contrived but I think its how a lot of people do behave in their small talk and interactions.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Great tip - stare at people's phone screens when on public transport and comment on what they're looking at. Works every time.
I doubt he cares as long as people click on the video to generate some ad revenue. So I'm not doing it, but yes it sounds like a particularly silly idea.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:47

One day turtlehead will look at some random person's phone and they'll be on this forum writing a scathing critique of his latest video.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:49

^ we can but hope.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:46

Mood
Cynical

If someone was trying to look at my phone screen I would turn it away from them and probably try to move away too! But maybe I'm just unfriendly.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:52

^ I don't see that as unfriendly, I think that's a normal and very understandable reaction - also, if I were to look at someone else's 'phone screen, I'd expect at least verbal abuse and even a punch in the face.
Old 19th February 2020, 18:53

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
If someone was trying to look at my phone screen I would turn it away from them and probably try to move away too! But maybe I'm just unfriendly.
Oh dear I'm agreeing with you again...I'd totally not be OK with that from a stranger. If someone just said "what you reading?" however, I'd be fine with that.
Old 19th February 2020, 19:20

Saw the thread title and thought this would be a positive thread about how it's good to start off making small steps, and how it's helpful to start off by exposing yourself to smaller challenges in the hope that you'll gain the confidence to gradually move onto bigger ones.

That would probably make for a much less entertaining video though.

Good luck with the videos though. You're like a sort of Jeremy Beadle for the TikTok generation.
Old 22nd February 2020, 00:29

ok so to clarify the lady was actually reading a newspaper but I could not find a good image so I used one from a phone article. In any case, when you are in the bus at rush hour and people are everywhere, you do not need to look at what people are doing, you just see it because of the concentration of people in a small place. You never saw someone book, newspaper or phone at rush hour?

Also Alpha if that makes you feel better they are no ads on my videos so there is that

Finally, it's everyone personal choice to focus on the positive or negative. There is always both in everything, now you can chose to assume people worst intentions or best intentions. The only difference will be the quality of your life, not the life of the people you judge.

Also I am not sure what the debate is since its obvious by looking at the video that I had a very pleasant interaction with this person, jus trying to inspire people to connect with one another
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleneck
Also Alpha if that makes you feel better they are no ads on my videos so there is that
When somebody is spamming a forum with their own videos it's reasonable to suspect they might have an ulterior motive. I don't think you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart or you wouldn't be posting only your own videos. Perhaps you're doing it for an ego boost, online personality building or some such thing, perhaps you hope to earn money from ad revenue when (or if) your videos get more popular. But whatever it is at least cut the nonsense and be honest.
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleneck
There will be ads the second you get the minimum amount of subscribers though