Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th April 2008, 22:12

Mood
Cool

Default Rep

Hello Mods/Admin

I just wondered if you lot have ever concidered including rep on this board?

I can see Paul1974s point of view about it becoming a popularity contest but at the same time i think it could do a lot to raise moral and if rep is restricted i would think we'd avoid too much popularity competing.

There's been quite a few times in the past when i've seen posts that are worthy of rep.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:38

Default Re: Rep

Another forum I'm on (same forum software) has a system that lets people express thanks for a post by having their names listed under said post; here it is described in more detail:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122944

I think that would be better than the rep system, as I recall that the rep system also has the ability to impart negative rep on other posters (which can be abused).
The only problem is, I think my alternative requires updating the entire forum to a new version.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:38
Mama Shaz

I personal wouldn't want to see it introduced here, I have seen it on other forums, as well as boosting a posters confidence it could also destroy somebody's else's, not something I would want to be a part of myself.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:44

To be honest I don't think it's a good idea for this forum.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:47

I would be 100% against such a thing, for every persons confidence boosted there could be someone whose is knocked, everybody can't be a winner. I don't think such a system has any place on a SA board.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:49

I dont think its a good idea. This place is to help people, not make it more intimidating. Hard enough for people who are desperate for help to even come to terms with their problems.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:50

Mood
Cool

I think you're over estimating the damage, i don't think anyone is going to be particually effected by a lack of rep.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:51
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthequiet
I would be 100% against such a thing, for every persons confidence boosted there could be someone whose is knocked, everybody can't be a winner. I don't think such a system has any place on a SA board.
I agree. I don't think it's a good idea at all - especially on a board such as this.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:53

Not a good idea here in my opinion. I know on bad days just having a post/point/opinion ignored or overlooked can make me feel devastated. And sometimes when I'm in a bad place (and I think others feel the same at times) it can seem fairly cliquely here, or like I'm an outsider. I think rep would just compound that issue.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
I think you're over estimating the damage, i don't think anyone is going to be particually effected by a lack of rep.
I think your under estimating it. I have experience with people who have left because of very miner conflicts... It would be intimidating and add tension. People are paranoid and already think everyone is friends with everyone besides them. A 'rep' would just increase this belief.

Just because it doesnt effect you. Doesnt mean it would effect others negatively. There is just no reason for such a thing on a forum like this.

Personally I would hate to be marked out in any way from others. Probably leave if I was forced with such a thing.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:08
Mama Shaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal

I don't think you are right there Pal, I am sure it would affect a whole lot of people on here, I really don't think it is right for this kind of forum, just reading through these posts tells me it would create problems for some of our users, So I'm afraid you won't convince me on having a rep system here.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:09

Really, really inappropriate idea. Sorry, Pal.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:20
Deepest Blue

I would also lean towards rather not having such a function available, however, if it were there it wouldn't bother me either but that's just my view and shouldn't be a given.

I do recognise (and applaud) Pal's intention and recommendation in trying to inject some positivity towards those members who contribute with a good post or thread but on the same token I think this is already recognised anyway without the system in place.

I think such a system would suite a forum that is of a technical nature or one that conducts reviews for the chosen topic, however, on a Mental Health forum I think there would be a lot of resentment because some people are better at expressing themselves in threads, but that doesn't mean they feel any less, people may just be either too shy to post or feel very anxious about posting in fear of what the response would be, even praise can sometimes become too overwhelming in a forum such as this. Things could become very sensitive and they are because peoples feelings are always high.

I hope this makes some sense, if not just ignore me ! :embarass:

Take Care
Danny.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:59

i don't think i could handle my posts being rep'd so i'm against it
Old 9th April 2008, 00:12

Mood
Musical

sorry but i don't think i could handle a rep system,

to me it would just send me into a worst feeling that i'm already in to be honest and why do we need one, suak is a supportive not one for being the top dog.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:09

I think it's a terrible idea, especially for a forum of this nature.

Whilst it can have some positive uses, it can turn into a backslapping, cliquey popularity contest. Negative rep also gets abused, and ultimately the whole thing just creates more work for the Mods to deal with.
Old 9th April 2008, 03:06

Please excuse my ignorance ... but what is 'rep'? :embarass:
Old 9th April 2008, 03:46
Deepest Blue

Reputation, or in this instance, a ranking is given (including feedback from users comments) on not only how much you've posted, but also what people think of you (from your posts) and how much you're "valued". It's a nice idea, but I don't think it would be quite appropriate here.
Old 9th April 2008, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Blue
Reputation, or in this instance, a ranking is given (including feedback from users comments) on not only how much you've posted, but also what people think of you (from your posts) and how much you're "valued". It's a nice idea, but I don't think it would be quite appropriate here.
Thanks, DB.

Yep, nice in principle, but pretty much guaranteed to open a rather ugly can of worms on a site such as this, I fear. Very much a double-edged sword.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:32

Mood
Cool

Well i still say if we restrict it to positive rep then it could be a good thing, but it seems i'm a tad out voted.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:59
Administrator

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAuL1974
... and ultimately the whole thing just creates more work for the Mods to deal with.
pAuL1974 FTW.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:01

Mood
Curious

Pal seems to have received plenty of 'negative rep' in this thread without the need for any special functions...

I don't think it's a big deal, myself. Neither for nor against.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:02

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miŠo
Pal seems to have received plenty of 'negative rep' in this thread without the need for any special functions...
Old 9th April 2008, 16:47
Deepest Blue

Quote:
Pal seems to have received plenty of 'negative rep' in this thread .
If you were joking, then .

If you were being serious, then I don't think Pal will be received in a negative way at all, I think it's been fair and to the point. There is nothing wrong with presenting an idea to help improve the forum, nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:01

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Blue
If you were joking, then .

If you were being serious, then I don't think Pal will be received in a negative way at all, I think it's been fair and to the point. There is nothing wrong with presenting an idea to help improve the forum, nothing wrong with that at all.
I can assure you my comment is in good humor.

However, it was also intended to highlight that you will receive feedback regardless of fancy functions that tell you how good you are..at...foruming. Regardless of the fact that rep functions are designed to help other people (not yourself), particularly newcomers, to assess a level of credibility in what they're being told by complete strangers, I think there's something of an over-reaction in the replies here.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:03

Mood
Cool

Quote:
I can assure you my comment is in good humor.

However, it was also intended to highlight that you will receive feedback regardless of fancy functions that tell you how good you are..at...foruming. Regardless of the fact that rep functions are designed to help other people (not yourself), particularly newcomers, to assess a level of credibility in what they're being told by complete strangers, I think there's something of an over-reaction in the replies here.
I had the same thought!!!
Old 9th April 2008, 18:10
Deepest Blue

Quote:
I think there's something of an over-reaction in the replies here.
I hope I've been fair in my own presentation.

I think it's a tough one to call because I can most certainly see the benefits and disadvantages with it, if it came down to a personal preference, then I would say it wouldn't bother me. Ultimately, the directors and creators of SAUK created SAUK in it's current form because I believe it met their "spec" and that also includes what would best fit for us all. Of course, there's always going to be better software, better tools, nicer looking templates, but it's not always about that, it's about fulfilling the visions of the creators initial plan and making it work successfully. I guess working in IT Management myself, my belief is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it", and SAUK runs perfectly as it is, the majority of people feel comfortable with the way things are, and that's what the directors of SAUK monitor. Improving something for the sake of it or because it looks nice or because someone had a brain wave to try something new out may backfire, we have to look at the long term plan. Introducing something new normally occurs when there's a serious change of direction, maybe the management have changed or the forum's popularity had fallen so much that something required changing, change never normally is instigated if things are working fine as they are as the implications of a change may unbalance things, and that's how people in charge normally look at things.
Old 9th April 2008, 18:23

Mood
Curious

Where's your sense of adventure?? I couldn't care less about reps and stuff, but if I came onto this forum tomorrow and it was full of new flashy lights and things that do stuff, I'd be over the moon! By the end of the week I'd likely be sick of it and want it changed back but you don't know if you don't try it.

If it ain't broken, you should mess about with it until it is broken, then fix it.
Old 9th April 2008, 18:26
Deepest Blue

Quote:

If it ain't broken, you should mess about with it until it is broken, then fix it.

Do SAUK have Beta testers coz I think miŠo wants a job !!
Old 9th April 2008, 18:51

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Where's your sense of adventure?? I couldn't care less about reps and stuff, but if I came onto this forum tomorrow and it was full of new flashy lights and things that do stuff, I'd be over the moon! By the end of the week I'd likely be sick of it and want it changed back but you don't know if you don't try it.
Exactly, it'd be fun and i reallty don't think it'd be as harmful as some are making out, not if we stick to positive rep only!!
Closed Thread