SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd April 2018, 18:18

Default Does the doctor give u medication for SA

Hi everyone I really want to go to the doctor about this but don’t know if they will give medication or just tell me to go talk to a therapist about it my oldest daughter has SA as well and that’s all they done with her
Old 23rd April 2018, 20:52

Mood
Bored

Default Re: Does the doctor give u medication for SA

Yes - they can give medication to help with the general anxiety and thoughts - e.g. Sertraline, Citalopram, these are also anti-depressants, but can be used to treat anxiety.

There are also beta blockers, which help with physical symptoms like shaking - I was issued with Propranolol.

They may also refer you to a psychological wellbeing practitioner or refer you for CBT.
Old 26th April 2018, 09:32

After years of anxiety and latterly depression, I went to the doctor yesterday and was prescribed sertraline. As Custard cream above said, CBT is also being offered.
Old 26th April 2018, 13:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Yes, I have been given Citalopram in the past and now take Escitalopram. I also had a short course of Propananol in the past.

They may well refer you for CBT which seems to be the standard these days, if your lucky you might be able to access proper counselling. You don't have to take up the referrals though you can ask to just try out an anti depressant or beta blocker.
Old 27th April 2018, 13:10

Mood
Tired

my GP steered me away from medication and gave me a referral for counselling,
a lot of doctors don't always like or want to simply issue drugs for anxiety etc.
depending on your location, there can often be local mental health drop-in centres and therapy clinics etc too.

good luck, and welcome to the site
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:00

I know in my case being prescribed an antidepressant felt like something I needed to be on, even before the depression became serious problem in adulthood. They can certainly help with anxiety (I've been a lot more assertive since being on them) but it really depends on the individual.
Old 5th June 2018, 21:08

Mood
Sluggish

Yes I am on pregabalin for anxiety and mirtazapine for depression as I see a psychiatrist but I don't feel like they are working as well as they used to but i feel acupuncture and cbt really helped me loads in the past never really tried the counselling approach but I think il definitely try give it a go considering iv tried everything else I guess different things work for different people but there is loads of help out there it's just asking around I guess...