SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th October 2005, 13:08

Default Hey everyone

I’m Andy from Ireland, I’m 17. I have had SA for about four years now, I have never diagnosed but I am 100% certain that I have it. The only person I have told is my Mum but she never seemed understand my problem.

SA affects my life in many different ways. My first symptoms of SA were when I was 13. I always used to feel nervous around certain people and try and avoid social contact with these people. After a year my symptoms started to develop, and I wasn’t able to do simple things like sit at a front desk at school in case people behind me were watching me, I also found it hard to ask questions in school in case I said something stupid. Over the next few years SA developed in many different ways such as, I found it hard to go into shops due to the fact that I thought everyone was watching me. Over those years I had times were I felt my SA was getting better and other times I felt it was getting worse.

At the moment I feel my SA is really developed and I am becoming more and more withdrawn from social situation which isn’t a good thing when your 17. I do have friends but I feel that I am losing them because I don’t ring them up and wait for them to ring me. Some friends get annoyed because I am always saying no to them when they ask me to go to a party or just to go out in general. I find it hard making new friends especially girl friends – I have never had a proper girl friend which is annoying because most of my friends have had a lot of girls in the past. The main symptoms I face day to day is sweating, shaking of the hands and generally getting confused in social situations. The only place I feel free from SA is being in my house on the computer or playing with my dog.

I really want to get my SA sorted out because I want to live my life to the full and be successful. Hopefully joining this forum will be the first step in getting my SA sorted out.

Cheers, Andy
Old 8th October 2005, 17:43
Shallah

Default Re: Hey everyone

Hi Andy welcome to SA-UK
Old 8th October 2005, 19:53

Welcome Andy!!

Dan
Old 8th October 2005, 23:23
Odworthy