SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th October 2005, 10:56

Default Mental Health Assessment

I asked to be referred for CBT and I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the Community Mental Health Team at the local hospital.

It is for an assessment, one on one I am ok with, this is with two doctors.

What exactly happens, I have a vision of being told sorry we cant help you as dont seem bad enough. I do plan on writing how I feel down but fear that when they see I am at college and doing a work placement it will alter how they will judge me with regards to SA.

Any advice?

Claire

Last edited by Claireabell; 30th October 2005 at 15:28.
Old 30th October 2005, 16:59

Default Re: Mental Health Assessment

Quote:
What exactly happens, I have a vision of being told sorry we cant help you as dont seem bad enough.
I very much doubt that will happen. On the contrary, if you're almost healthy to start off with, then it means it's easier for them to cure you, which will make the hospital look better in the stats they return to the Department of Health - which means, more money for them. That said, I believe that the UK health system isn't anywhere near as bad as the US for cherry-picking the easiest patients to deal with.

The main purpose of the assessment is to plan your treatment - so it's important you try to say everything that's relevant to your illness. By all means write things down, though it's best to have just a few short bullet points, rather than reams and reams of text.

However, they will probably ask you a set of standard questions, to make sure they don't miss anything important - including how much support you get from your friends and relatives, if any, and how hopeless, despondent or suicidal you feel. They might ask you to clarify or expand on some of your answers - but they're unlikely to ask you specific questions about things which may have happened to you in the past.

If you don't get on well with the people at college or work placement - then say it. They won't think you're a bad person for not trying.

Hope that helps, keep us informed, thanks.
Old 30th October 2005, 20:40

Hi Claire,

Hope it goes well for you. You have to be honest and assertive in this sort of thing i think. Do not get flanneled off, if you think the cpn dont realise the effect sa has on your life, you got to stand firm. The only way I have ever made progress is to actually stick to my guns and not get fobbed off.

Sorry, this probs aint been helpful. Your a fab person mate and u more than deserve the help you think you need to be the person you want to be.

(Positive vibes)
Old 30th October 2005, 21:18

Hi Claire!

My advice for the assessment is just to be honest. Explain how your anxiety affects you and awnser their questions as honestly as you can. My cpn told me that they already bear in mind that you have gone to the trouble to be referred and to turn up to the asessment so they are in no doubts that you are in distress and feel that you need help. They are there to help you so if you are able to tell them, if you are too anxious to then find the strength to tell them that too.
Good luck...x
Old 1st November 2005, 11:02

I had my assessment and basically because I attend a weekly SA Group in Bristol and we do CBT I was told there was nothing they could offer me that I was not already getting. I was honest with them, even cried, I did get some questions answered from meeting with them but they also said I am doing everything I can do for myself.

Thanks for your advice

Claire

Last edited by Claireabell; 1st November 2005 at 13:38.
Closed Thread