SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st November 2005, 18:19

Default My Presentation.

I started and three lines into my presentation,I looked up and people were smiling at me and boy did I panic . I said 'I can't do it' and the teacher said 'you're doing good'. I wasn't doing good, but it is what I needed to hear. I had to sit there for about 30 seconds to recollect my self and carry on. Everyone was so supportive it's amazing.. Oh and that fear that everyone would be laughing at me, I looked at all these peoples faces and no they were not laughing at me at all..:embarass:
Old 21st November 2005, 18:27

Mood
Crappy

Default Re: My Presentation.

Congrats mysterious,
I know you were nervous about this ... just think next time it should be easier. Just as negative experiences can make SAers worse, positive experiences should make you better. I've never been at a presentation (after school) where anyone has been laughed at - and if they were smiling at you that can only be a good sign. It sounds like your tutor was very sympathetic to your situation ... they've probably seen the same thing a hundred times before and know you need encouragement. Work at it and you can beat this thing
Old 21st November 2005, 18:35

My tutor is a PhD student. So her being a student, makes her understanding right? Infact all our tutors are PhD students. I am more positive about next time for sure.
Old 21st November 2005, 18:54

Well Done Mysterious

I have to do a presentation and to say I am bricking it is an understatement. Yours is the kind of story that gives me hope that I can do it.

Claire
Old 21st November 2005, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireabell
Yours is the kind of story that gives me hope that I can do it.

Claire
Really? Noone has ever said that to me:embarass:
Old 21st November 2005, 19:22
Intro Guy

Well done! Public speaking is never easy.
Old 21st November 2005, 19:31

Well, it was infront of 8 people. Nevertheless, it's still an achievement for me:embarass:
Old 21st November 2005, 20:45

Mood
Musical

Well done

Speaking of presentations, I was meant to do one today but my teacher wasnt in. Shes off an awful lot .
Old 21st November 2005, 21:00

Wow, I couldn't in a million years even imagine doing a presentation in front of 2 people, let alone 8, I would be stuttering and passing out all over the place... well done !!
Old 21st November 2005, 21:08

Mood
Breezy

Mysterious, that IS an achievment. Congratulations. I have to give a presentation for part two of a job interview in front of only 5 people and I am packing it.
Old 21st November 2005, 21:29

Well done!

As someone who did the first presentation of his life last year at the grand old age of 42, I can fully understand how hard they can be.
Even the other (non-SA) people in my class dreaded doing theirs, so this highlights just how well you have done in spite of your SA, because you can bet your life even the non-SA fear these things too.

I think the smaller audience is often more intimidating than the larger one, so again, you did really well.

No one should laugh, because they know just how hard it is to get up there and say your piece. Hence the support you got.

Good for you.
Old 21st November 2005, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint
Well done

Speaking of presentations, I was meant to do one today but my teacher wasnt in. Shes off an awful lot .
Bad luck, I feel for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_diva
Wow, I couldn't in a million years even imagine doing a presentation in front of 2 people, let alone 8, I would be stuttering and passing out all over the place... well done !!
Scarlet, I couldn't do it infront of one person until today. And that too because I HAD to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshow
Mysterious, that IS an achievment. Congratulations. I have to give a presentation for part two of a job interview in front of only 5 people and I am packing it.
All the best! Please don't pack it, whats the worse that can happen? Atleast you won't be seeing these 5 people again ever unless you get the job right? You WILL pull through and if you don't there is something better out there waiting for you....
Old 21st November 2005, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerspace
Well done!

As someone who did the first presentation of his life last year at the grand old age of 42, I can fully understand how hard they can be.
Even the other (non-SA) people in my class dreaded doing theirs, so this highlights just how well you have done in spite of your SA, because you can bet your life even the non-SA fear these things too.

I think the smaller audience is often more intimidating than the larger one, so again, you did really well.

No one should laugh, because they know just how hard it is to get up there and say your piece. Hence the support you got.

Good for you.
Aww well done to you all the same. I dread to do it infront of 30 people, I hope I never have to do that.:embarass:
Old 22nd November 2005, 12:26
Shallah

Well done mysterious
Old 22nd November 2005, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz82
Well done mysterious
Thank you Shaz:D
Old 22nd November 2005, 17:38

8 people is very hard, you can see each eye on you. You feel in the spotlight and you did great to go through with it. This should help your confidence no end.
Its hard to realise that people wont laugh until you do it for real.
Old 22nd November 2005, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2003
8 people is very hard, you can see each eye on you. You feel in the spotlight and you did great to go through with it. This should help your confidence no end.
Its hard to realise that people wont laugh until you do it for real.
Totally agree!
Old 22nd November 2005, 18:25
Bak2Rehab

That's great Mysterious.I hated public speaking at School
Old 22nd November 2005, 19:17

Well done.

I had to do a talk last year for college, it was a nightmare, but you just have to get on with it.
Old 23rd November 2005, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bak2Rehab
That's great Mysterious.I hated public speaking at School
You're not alone. But to be honest, school was the worst place to do it. Kids can be immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_in_fife
Well done.

I had to do a talk last year for college, it was a nightmare, but you just have to get on with it.
Yep, you do But the best thing is when it's over! For me 1 down 3 to go...
Old 23rd November 2005, 11:27

Mood
Tired

excellent, well done! the great thing about this story is that you actually managed to carry on. it's easy in that situation to let it spiral out of control.

i semi-volunteered to do a presentation for my last job at a training day, there were about 25 of us. we were in groups and one of us had to present back to everyone what we had learnt. we wrote bullet points but couldnt read the handwriting, blah. i always start off well, and then start looking up..its weird because noone laughs, infact they seemed to be hanging off my every word. but in a way my mind expects them to laugh, but nothing, and that scares me. its scary when things go right, because i dont know how to handle it, even though negative moments are horrible, i've had experience of them but when its positive i dont know what to do!
Old 23rd November 2005, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibracobra
excellent, well done! the great thing about this story is that you actually managed to carry on. it's easy in that situation to let it spiral out of control.

i semi-volunteered to do a presentation for my last job at a training day, there were about 25 of us. we were in groups and one of us had to present back to everyone what we had learnt. we wrote bullet points but couldnt read the handwriting, blah. i always start off well, and then start looking up..its weird because noone laughs, infact they seemed to be hanging off my every word. but in a way my mind expects them to laugh, but nothing, and that scares me. its scary when things go right, because i dont know how to handle it, even though negative moments are horrible, i've had experience of them but when its positive i dont know what to do!
I see where you are coming from. I am not sure about your situation, whether you were ever bullied or not. But I was, and after so many years of being criticised endlessly, it has become extremely difficult to take in praise. Is that praise for real? Are they really sneakily laughing behind that grin? And I was extremely glad I carried on, it took a lot for me to do that. So when you said it scares you because in your mind you expect them to laugh and they don’t, I really do understand where you are coming from. Don’t you feel like there is something wrong and you feel like you know what they are thinking and what they are thinking is negative things about you?
Old 23rd November 2005, 12:49

Mood
Tired

yeah that happens, i always think they're thining 'what an idiot', in a way i think i want them to do it because it's all i know. yeah i was bullied throughout school and 6th form, the clincher being that it was my 'friends' that a hung out with. it's even weirder that i still hang around with a couple of them, but they've changed, however when they all get back together it happens again. so yeah throughout school normal was being criticised, it's horrible thinking of it that way, but i believed completely at that time that i was sub-human, and wasnt worthy. i still think i project those vibes onto people, because it's all i'm used to.

it's so weird how i dont like being so anxious but i'm tollerant with it, a comfort zone of being uncomfortable.

everyone has that public speaking phobia in different forms though i think, it's the pressure of having so many eyes on you, but if only there was a little bit more self esteem it would probably be an enjoyable experience having all that attention.

sometimes i think that's what it all boils down to : i've never been given much attention, so when it happens i just freeze in disbelief :D
Old 23rd November 2005, 13:17

Wow that was amazing! - It's amazing how we learn to understand how we are feeling. I never knew what was happening to me before I found out about SA. The more I understand the more I learn to come to terms with it. It doesn't get harder and harder anymore, it only can get easier. And I had friends too but I stopped hanging out with them after Year 9. They only made me more misrable and I was more happy on my own in the end. I believed every critism I got and I was young so I was bound to believe it. I still feel I'm growing up in the wrong world because I live in a world of my own, but now I don't see anything wrong with that only it makes me so isolated.
Old 25th November 2005, 20:40

Mood
Balanced

Well done! You have given me a bit more confidence because i have a presenation on tuesday at college!! Keep u the good work!!!!!
Old 26th November 2005, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious
I started and three lines into my presentation,I looked up and people were smiling at me and boy did I panic . I said 'I can't do it' and the teacher said 'you're doing good'. I wasn't doing good, but it is what I needed to hear. I had to sit there for about 30 seconds to recollect my self and carry on. Everyone was so supportive it's amazing.. Oh and that fear that everyone would be laughing at me, I looked at all these peoples faces and no they were not laughing at me at all..:embarass:
Congrats mysterious, I did the same not long ago in front of 9 spectators. It was terrifying esp since everyone knew I had been avoiding doing any presentations in uni up until that point. A few weeks later I did 3 mini presentations in front of a class of primary school kids. I wasn't nervous until I noticed their teacher [an adult basically] was listening. Yikes!

I hope this gets easier with time...
Old 26th November 2005, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesmartin
Well done! You have given me a bit more confidence because i have a presenation on tuesday at college!! Keep u the good work!!!!!
Wish you all the very best and you know you can do it!
I have another presentation coming up on 12th December and I am absolutely terrified because this time I am not doing it alone but with another girl who I don't think really likes me .:embarass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
Congrats mysterious, I did the same not long ago in front of 9 spectators. It was terrifying esp since everyone knew I had been avoiding doing any presentations in uni up until that point. A few weeks later I did 3 mini presentations in front of a class of primary school kids. I wasn't nervous until I noticed their teacher [an adult basically] was listening. Yikes!

I hope this gets easier with time...
Kids! Well too many kids terrifiy me so you did very very well yourself
Old 26th November 2005, 22:27

Well done!
Giving presentations are still a nightmare for me and no doubt with anyone, but we all survive.

I don’t suppose you fancy standing in for me this Monday? I will be leading a delegation at a national seminar on Substance Misuse, Drug and Alcohol Dependency A Theoretical Approach to Working with Difficult Clients……….No!

Old 27th November 2005, 15:37

ewww @ presentations

last presentation i made, i was looking at the presentation screen the whole time and only made eye contact 0.99% of the whole time, the lecturer didnt like that hehe.
Old 27th November 2005, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by legin
Well done!
Giving presentations are still a nightmare for me and no doubt with anyone, but we all survive.

I don’t suppose you fancy standing in for me this Monday? I will be leading a delegation at a national seminar on Substance Misuse, Drug and Alcohol Dependency A Theoretical Approach to Working with Difficult Clients……….No!

Do I have to answer that:embarass: Well all the best of luck to you for Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by well_guy
ewww @ presentations

last presentation i made, i was looking at the presentation screen the whole time and only made eye contact 0.99% of the whole time, the lecturer didnt like that hehe.
Well I looked up and paniced so in the end ended up reading the whole thing from paper with my head down:embarass:
Closed Thread