SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2012, 10:53

Default Volunteering

I’ve decided that I want to start volunteering to help me become more confident and meet new people

I was just wondering if anyone on here had done volunteering, and if so what kind? (With animals, young children, charity shops etc.) Did it help you?

Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 13:08

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Volunteering

Hi c-jay

I volunteer with offenders, visiting them in prison and supporting them when they come out etc. Broadly speaking it has really helped to improve my SA- sometimes I've felt like I've thrown myself in at the deep end but I think it has helped me to face up to situations I've probably avoided in the past which is definitely a positive.
What kind of volunteering were you thinking of?
Old 21st August 2012, 13:38

Mood
Inspired

I do!

I started just after christmas in a charity shop which supports the local hospice. I made sure I wasn't out the front serving people, but instead at the back so I didn't get completely freaked out. Up until maybe 8 weeks ago I worked completely on my own (but it did get me out the house, so it was benefiting me in a small way.) But more recently i've been surrounded by others, maybe 5 or 6 other people helping me out which has made it a little more difficult, but i believe it'll benefit me further.

I love it, but it's such a struggle to make myself get up and get myself there. Once i'm there, i'm alright - still the usual SA kicking off in my head, but I make it work!

Go for it, you'll love it
Old 21st August 2012, 16:24

I've volunteered at two Oxfam shops (served customers on till as well as organised stock), stewarded at a couple of literature festivals and also did some research for an exhibition at my local library. Starting next week, I'll be a Paralympic volunteer. I wouldn't say it's helped my confidence dramatically but it's given me proof that I am able to do things. I think the best thing that came from it was just interacting and being around people, and it actually gave me a purpose.

Volunteering is great so go for it! There'll be an opportunity that suits you as there are loads of different roles you can do as a volunteer.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:02

I worked in a Barnardos when I was young for quite a while. Can't say how much it helped since I wasn't particularly anxious back then, but certainly forced me to interact and maybe those two things are linked. I'm hoping to start volunteering teaching kids to program soon which I'm looking forward to.

But volunteering's certainly a worthwhile thing to do. Working in a shop lets you deal with people regularly, but it's unlikely to ever be so busy that you're run off your feet and totally stressed. I'd expect other jobs to have similar benefits. You should definitely find something you're interested in and give it a go.

Also, Illuminate_Me that sounds like it must be pretty challenging. Kudos to you.
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:59

Mood
Happy

In the past I have volunteered with Crisis and the Quakers at Christmas Homeless Centres. I've also volunteered at a local homeless centre, being a second person to the member of staff and staying over-night.
I have just received the centre's newsletter and they are struggling to find volunteers at the weekend to cover the overnight shift. It's a mark of my continuing progress that I am going to offer to resume volunteering after a long break. It's not always easy in that you may not know the member of staff or any of the 10 residents that you're with, but it is very worthwhile and hence rewarding.
I hope having had 2 separate periods of doing this that this time I will be able to carry out the volunteering for a sustained period of time.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:19

Thanks for the encouraging stories everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate_Me
Hi c-jay

I volunteer with offenders, visiting them in prison and supporting them when they come out etc. Broadly speaking it has really helped to improve my SA- sometimes I've felt like I've thrown myself in at the deep end but I think it has helped me to face up to situations I've probably avoided in the past which is definitely a positive.
What kind of volunteering were you thinking of?
Wow Illuminate_Me if i was you i'd feel proud to be volunteering in that kind of atmosphere, especially with SA! Sometimes throwing yourself in at the deep end is the best thing to do because it doesn't give you time to over-think.

I haven't got a clue what kind of volunteering to do haha! Don't think i would work in a charity shop simply because i already work part-time in a supermarket. I went to a volunteer centre last year and they suggested things like receptionist/office work because the woman realised that i was quite shy but i want to do something that isn't like a proper job! I'm really into art so i might see if i can find something creative

I bet you are so excited to be volunteering for the Paralympics Memory! It will be AMAZING!!
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:35

Mood
Relaxed

Thanks number9 and c-jay I should probably add that my SA is better than it used to be, I'm not sure if I could have done it a few years ago, I think the good thing about it is that when I do feel a little bit nervous or anxious I can reassure myself that it's probably fairly normal

C-jay there are a few arts opportunities on my local volunteering site, perhaps it's the same near you? Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find it really rewarding
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-jay
I bet you are so excited to be volunteering for the Paralympics Memory! It will be AMAZING!!
I am! :D It will be amazing but well scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte87
Memory Well Done on being a Paralympic volunteer!
Thanks! :D
Old 19th September 2012, 16:16

Mood
Lonely

I was a gamesmaker there at the paralympics and I have to say it was amazing.
The uniform was an immediate conversation starter with other volunteers. For me once the awkwardness of talking to a stranger is over I'm fine. Problem is I don't usually even attempt to make conversation. The volunteering was like rehab for someone like me. Everyday you were put into new teams with a wide variety of ages and everyone was instantly comfortable to start a conversation.

Now its over and I seem to be back where I started, I just need to find an atmosphere similar to that where you can just approach someone and start talking without fear.
Old 19th September 2012, 17:03

Mood
Balanced

I volunteered at a local primary school as part of my recovery plus working in the teaching profession is something i've always wanted to do. It took a bit of time to get into it with my SA but I was helped by there being some very understanding members of staff who helped me to deal with my anxiety and improve my confidence in the classroom. One of them has been like a mentor to me and I credit her alot for helping me to get too where I am at present.

Being a volunteer has also allowed me to go on now to become a qualified Teaching Assistant and I currently work for an agency and go to different schools to cover staff who are absent from school for whatever reason sickness, courses etc.

So I would definitely recommend volunteering!
Old 27th September 2012, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSlope
I was a gamesmaker there at the paralympics and I have to say it was amazing.
The uniform was an immediate conversation starter with other volunteers. For me once the awkwardness of talking to a stranger is over I'm fine. Problem is I don't usually even attempt to make conversation. The volunteering was like rehab for someone like me. Everyday you were put into new teams with a wide variety of ages and everyone was instantly comfortable to start a conversation.

Now its over and I seem to be back where I started, I just need to find an atmosphere similar to that where you can just approach someone and start talking without fear.
Same! Glad you had a good time at the Paralympics as well. What were you doing there? I still felt uncomfortable starting conversation with other volunteers (they were all friendly though, I met some great people) but approaching spectators was fine. I'm in the same predicament as you too - back to square one essentially.
Old 27th September 2012, 12:29

I don't see the point tbh.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:05

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory
Same! Glad you had a good time at the Paralympics as well. What were you doing there? I still felt uncomfortable starting conversation with other volunteers (they were all friendly though, I met some great people) but approaching spectators was fine. I'm in the same predicament as you too - back to square one essentially.
I was based at the stadium. I found that for the first few days gamesmakers were starting conversations with me. So after that I was doing the same subconsciously.

The biggest thing I discovered was that volunteers in general are easy to talk to nice people. The paid security people for instance whilst mostly pleasant were not easy to talk to and some weren't so nice. For me the paid security better represented what everyday people are like, not easy to communicate with.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:05

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless
In volunteering?
Old 27th September 2012, 13:29

Quote:
I was based at the stadium. I found that for the first few days gamesmakers were starting conversations with me. So after that I was doing the same subconsciously.

The biggest thing I discovered was that volunteers in general are easy to talk to nice people. The paid security people for instance whilst mostly pleasant were not easy to talk to and some weren't so nice. For me the paid security better represented what everyday people are like, not easy to communicate with.
Cool! I was based outside the stadium a couple of times. In general, the volunteers were easy to get along with and talked to you, joked with you etc. I only had one bad experience when this volunteer (from a different team) made a big deal out of my shyness and was like 'why are you so shy' and then ended up shouting out to the crowds to say hi to me and stuff (literally, he was going 'this is blah blah from <where I'm from> she's shy so say hi!' It was so awful and humiliating. ;/

But on the whole, volunteers are really nice people who don't push you to do things you don't want to do or anything.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:34

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory
Cool! I was based outside the stadium a couple of times. In general, the volunteers were easy to get along with and talked to you, joked with you etc. I only had one bad experience when this volunteer (from a different team) made a big deal out of my shyness and was like 'why are you so shy' and then ended up shouting out to the crowds to say hi to me and stuff (literally, he was going 'this is blah blah from <where I'm from> she's shy so say hi!' It was so awful and humiliating. ;/

But on the whole, volunteers are really nice people who don't push you to do things you don't want to do or anything.
Do you mean the common domain?

That bad experience says it all about SA really. We cant understand how their so confident in social situations, where as they don't understand us either.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:41

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless
Well, in my case its the only way to get the experience necessary to even get a entry level job in the industry i'm interested in. But other than that, its just really fun I get to do all the fun stuff without the responsiblity of deadlines, i'd keep doing it forever if i could.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:43

Quote:
Do you mean the common domain?

That bad experience says it all about SA really. We cant understand how their so confident in social situations, where as they don't understand us either.
Yeah, exactly. And yeah, common domain.