SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 26th April 2008, 15:07

Default Workout

How much do you work out or exercise. I prefer to call it a workout as that sounds more energizing while 'exercise' sounds boring and tiring to me. There might be other names people call it. The word exercise makes me groan while a workout is very satisfying. Even if its basically the same meaning I consider a workout to be more intense and stimulating than general excercise. A workout makes me want to do it each day or to stick to my plan while exercise in my mind consist of the same boring repetitive movements. I usually consider it with people who are trying to lose weight with less intense movements. "Would you consider sex to be the same repetitive movements (exercise) or a intense dynamic movement that leaves you wanting more." (workout) On the otherhand I think certain people will consider a 'workout' to mean lifting weights constantly. That aint really true either. Either way I will try not be biased to my view and accept its what people usually consider such things. At the end of the day they basically mean the same thing. Its interesting to know if you consider your workout/exercise as a chore or as a joy though.

Anyway I wont talk about myself. Its already difficult enough not to appear biased in this post. Im more interested in what others do. Do you lift weights or do you use bodyweight. Do you do pullups aswell as pushups. Do you have a realistic goal/plan/routine for such workouts. A long term plan, a weekly commitment to the same routine, a dynamic set planned out that pushes yourself weekly with new movements to keep you interested. A smart plan to push yourself to your next highest protential or do you simply enjoy going for a run every couple of days. (Which is good for tackling depression.) Focusing on a particular goal like losing weight. To gain strengh in a particular sport/hobby such as endurance running. How much time do you spend on workouts. When and how much time do you spend on recovering.

Do you find it boring or fun. Does it change or continue to remain within the same general movements. Do you go to a gym and use those fancy excercise machines (Or own one) or use complicated sets carefully designed to workout different muscle groups to push yourself.

Do you exercise at all or sit around all the time. (Excusing disabled people who can perhaps do other exercises to stay healthy.) Do you or dont you have the time to excercise. Have you attempted to exercise but given up when it became too tough. Have you become less depressed when you started to take better care of your body. Did you make you feel happier about yourself. How long have you been been doing it for.

This isnt so much a discussion about how one should workout but rather what people actively do' do on a daily/weekly basis. What are your goals and plans etc. I think I know the kind of answers I might hear and im interested in hearing them. Just explain in your own words what it is you do and want to achieve.

If you barely exercise how do you imagine yourself starting such things. What would you do. What type of exercise interests you enough to keep you motivated. How would you approach it. What steps would you take to ensure you stayed motivated. Would you start with or without a long term plan for yourself. Do you think you could stay motivated enough without such a plan.

This is purely about what people do or would realistically like to do fitness wise. Sa is something that makes people depressed and demotivated. Excercise can be a great way of tackling depression and building confidence etc. Workouts within a short period of time are enjoyable and can leave someone feeling brilliant throughout the day.
Old 26th April 2008, 15:28

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: Workout

I take a supervised circuit class every weekday, I started off over a year ago on exercise on prescription.
Old 26th April 2008, 17:24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßazza
How much do you work out or exercise. I prefer to call it a workout as that sounds more energizing while 'exercise' sounds boring and tiring to me. There might be other names people call it. The word exercise makes me groan while a workout is very satisfying. Even if its basically the same meaning I consider a workout to be more intense and stimulating than general excercise. A workout makes me want to do it each day or to stick to my plan while exercise in my mind consist of the same boring repetitive movements. I usually consider it with people who are trying to lose weight with less intense movements. "Would you consider sex to be the same repetitive movements (exercise) or a intense dynamic movement that leaves you wanting more." (workout) On the otherhand I think certain people will consider a 'workout' to mean lifting weights constantly. That aint really true either. Either way I will try not be biased to my view and accept its what people usually consider such things. At the end of the day they basically mean the same thing. Its interesting to know if you consider your workout/exercise as a chore or as a joy though.

Anyway I wont talk about myself. Its already difficult enough not to appear biased in this post. Im more interested in what others do. Do you lift weights or do you use bodyweight. Do you do pullups aswell as pushups. Do you have a realistic goal/plan/routine for such workouts. A long term plan, a weekly commitment to the same routine, a dynamic set planned out that pushes yourself weekly with new movements to keep you interested. A smart plan to push yourself to your next highest protential or do you simply enjoy going for a run every couple of days. (Which is good for tackling depression.) Focusing on a particular goal like losing weight. To gain strengh in a particular sport/hobby such as endurance running. How much time do you spend on workouts. When and how much time do you spend on recovering.

Do you find it boring or fun. Does it change or continue to remain within the same general movements. Do you go to a gym and use those fancy excercise machines (Or own one) or use complicated sets carefully designed to workout different muscle groups to push yourself.

Do you exercise at all or sit around all the time. (Excusing disabled people who can perhaps do other exercises to stay healthy.) Do you or dont you have the time to excercise. Have you attempted to exercise but given up when it became too tough. Have you become less depressed when you started to take better care of your body. Did you make you feel happier about yourself. How long have you been been doing it for.

This isnt so much a discussion about how one should workout but rather what people actively do' do on a daily/weekly basis. What are your goals and plans etc. I think I know the kind of answers I might hear and im interested in hearing them. Just explain in your own words what it is you do and want to achieve.

If you barely exercise how do you imagine yourself starting such things. What would you do. What type of exercise interests you enough to keep you motivated. How would you approach it. What steps would you take to ensure you stayed motivated. Would you start with or without a long term plan for yourself. Do you think you could stay motivated enough without such a plan.

This is purely about what people do or would realistically like to do fitness wise. Sa is something that makes people depressed and demotivated. Excercise can be a great way of tackling depression and building confidence etc. Workouts within a short period of time are enjoyable and can leave someone feeling brilliant throughout the day.
my workouts change throughout the year cos when the football season is underway i do different workouts and more of them. during the season i do complex training , anerobic endurance, interval, 5 aside, 11 aside

during the off season i do body for life.

complex training is a combination of weights and plyometrics. plyometrics are exercises like jumping off and onto boxes as fast as u can. u do say 10 reps with a weight immediately followed by a plyometrics exercise. anerobic endurance is like shuttle runs. u set up 5 cones 10 metres apart and u sprint to the 1st cone and back , second cone and back , 3rd cone etc... rest for 30 secs then repeat the whole process again (unbeleiveably hard). my interval training is just running round a footy pitch in a certain way. u jog 3 sides & sprint one side then jog 2 sides & sprint 2, then jog 1 sprint 3 , then sprint 4, rest for 2 mins and repeat.

during the season my schedule will look like this:

mon - (night) - 45mins complex training

tue - (morning) - 45mins anerobic endurance, (night) footy training

wed (night) - 45 mins complex training

thurs - (morning) 45 mins interval, (night) footy training 5 a side

fri - (night) - 45 mins complex training

sat - 11 a side footy match

sun - rest

im currently doing body for life cos my footy season is over . body for life consist of weight training, cardio and diet. u only have to workout for 3 hours and 15 mins a week but the workouts are very intense and produce miraculous results. u do 20 mins cardio 3 times a week (first thing in the morning on an empty stomach) and u do 45 mins weight training 3 times a week. my shedule looks like this :

mon, wed, fri night - weights

tue, thurs, sat morning - cardio

sun - rest

the body for life book is called ''body for life by bill phillips''.
Old 26th April 2008, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL
I take a supervised circuit class every weekday, I started off over a year ago on exercise on prescription.
Hmm thats interesting and you get it completely free? How does that work exactly.

I mean.. I just do stuff at home but I have read alot but heh I wouldnt mind someone encouraging me if it free lol.

I have thought about a personal trainer to instruct me on where I am going wrong and how to improve etc. Bit pricy though! Did you get this because of some physical reason? Dont need to reveal nothing though.
Old 26th April 2008, 17:57

Mood
Curious

My soul dies if I don't do anything strenuous. My blood stops flowing and I begin to wilt.

I feel like that today.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInTheCorner
We organize football meets every week or two. Check the meets section.
Lol I hate football sorry. And im crap at it. *Feels intimidated that david posted under, knowing he wants to be some kinda football superstar hehe*

My interests are moving towards combat sports. (In the future for fun and a healthy body.) I have recentlyish moved from marathon running to training all the strengh types. Its hard work training for things my body isnt used to.. compared to what it used to be good at and felt confident with!

Nowadays I dont do much running at all unless its sprint related or jogging if I cant handle a sprint. Only maybe a quick jog once a week to tackle againts depression. I dont tend to need it though.. Give it 6 months and I should be adapted and capable. Or dead.

David I havnt written an actrual reply to you yet and will do later. I need to go eat now.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:16

Mood
Tired

Just started with Wii Fit, see how that goes. Its fun, thats for sure! Im aiming to do 30 minutes a day, concentrating on balance as mine is apparently very poor.

Like lots of folk I struggle with a 10 hour workday, I work (on average) one out of three saturdays and I live alone so do all my own housework. I tend to go through periods of trying to exercise then entering a stressful or physically demanding time at work and so I stop.

What I want out of it is to feel a little better and less guilty about eating things I know I shouldnt.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi©o
My soul dies if I don't do anything strenuous. My blood stops flowing and I begin to wilt.

I feel like that today.
Same.

And it makes me hungry after. Kinda.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:30

Mood
Mellow

Well, I paid for a gym membership in September and haven't used it much .....went to a muay thai kickboxing class with my sis 3 times (i was standing in for her friend but now i don't have anyone to go with)

I learned to skip (ie with a skipping rope) recently so i do that.

Ideally, I'd like to go to the gym regularly and learn to do some cool skipping tricks...........and find someone to go with me to kickboxing.

Exercise definitely lifts my spirits but I get SA in classes etc cos I feel stupid

I know that regularity is the most important thing but I'm quite lazy and unmotivated recently.

Kudos to everyone who does something regularly.

Sorry for rambling
Old 26th April 2008, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mckenna
my workouts change throughout the year cos when the football season is underway i do different workouts and more of them. during the season i do complex training , anerobic endurance, interval, 5 aside, 11 aside

during the off season i do body for life.

complex training is a combination of weights and plyometrics. plyometrics are exercises like jumping off and onto boxes as fast as u can. u do say 10 reps with a weight immediately followed by a plyometrics exercise. anerobic endurance is like shuttle runs. u set up 5 cones 10 metres apart and u sprint to the 1st cone and back , second cone and back , 3rd cone etc... rest for 30 secs then repeat the whole process again (unbeleiveably hard). my interval training is just running round a footy pitch in a certain way. u jog 3 sides & sprint one side then jog 2 sides & sprint 2, then jog 1 sprint 3 , then sprint 4, rest for 2 mins and repeat.

during the season my schedule will look like this:

mon - (night) - 45mins complex training

tue - (morning) - 45mins anerobic endurance, (night) footy training

wed (night) - 45 mins complex training

thurs - (morning) 45 mins interval, (night) footy training 5 a side

fri - (night) - 45 mins complex training

sat - 11 a side footy match

sun - rest

im currently doing body for life cos my footy season is over . body for life consist of weight training, cardio and diet. u only have to workout for 3 hours and 15 mins a week but the workouts are very intense and produce miraculous results. u do 20 mins cardio 3 times a week (first thing in the morning on an empty stomach) and u do 45 mins weight training 3 times a week. my shedule looks like this :

mon, wed, fri night - weights

tue, thurs, sat morning - cardio

sun - rest

the body for life book is called ''body for life by bill phillips''.
Hmm interesting site. Im using something else that gives alot of infomation about the importants of the different strengh groups. Later gives example workout routines and tells ya how to plan your own. Its all in a book put in a very simple format that reads beautifully. Lots of information of how to do excercises safely. Lots of pictures. Gives many ideas on how to train in different ways so it doesnt become boring.

Look at what you do in season its not much different from what I do but less! I also use bodyweight and dont use weights at all. In the mornings, (Sometimes more basic things like isometrics later in the day) 6 days a week, I do whatever planned workout. I cant do polymetrics safely yet and is something I plan for later when im stronger with maximal strengh. Im focusing more on maximal strengh and a strong core. Im rather weak at the moment to do anything like explosive strengh etc. My lungs explode during most interval runs. Days vary but I only do about 15-30 mins. Sometimes I add finishes and sometimes I dont.

I will look through that site and compare the two. Looks like lots of usual information there too.
Old 26th April 2008, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by tituscrow
Just started with Wii Fit, see how that goes. Its fun, thats for sure! Im aiming to do 30 minutes a day, concentrating on balance as mine is apparently very poor.

Like lots of folk I struggle with a 10 hour workday, I work (on average) one out of three saturdays and I live alone so do all my own housework. I tend to go through periods of trying to exercise then entering a stressful or physically demanding time at work and so I stop.

What I want out of it is to feel a little better and less guilty about eating things I know I shouldnt.
Lol the Wii? Im not familier with that game I had to google it. Thats awesome. I dont have a wii but I like the idea of that! I will have to check that out.
Old 26th April 2008, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSI
Well, I paid for a gym membership in September and haven't used it much .....went to a muay thai kickboxing class with my sis 3 times (i was standing in for her friend but now i don't have anyone to go with)

I learned to skip (ie with a skipping rope) recently so i do that.

Ideally, I'd like to go to the gym regularly and learn to do some cool skipping tricks...........and find someone to go with me to kickboxing.

Exercise definitely lifts my spirits but I get SA in classes etc cos I feel stupid

I know that regularity is the most important thing but I'm quite lazy and unmotivated recently.

Kudos to everyone who does something regularly.

Sorry for rambling
Your not rambling at all its not unexpected to find people whos struggle with such things on an sa site. I used to and still do! This thris will hopefully make people think about it and learn stuff. I mean I never knew about the wii fit thingy untill now!

Have you thought about approaching this from a different angle? Your obviously struggling to go to a gym (I couldnt!) and its important for regular exercise. It helps againts depression and such. If you could do short excercises each day in the morning its 'massively' better than nothing. Irregular excercise can be such a punishment. It only takes a few days to lose whatever you did previously!

Im wanting to do kickboxing in a year or two. Thats my plan anyway. I first want to be in better shape which is ganna take time!

Also I just bought a skipping rope.. Forgot what called now.. but fast rope thing. I dont know how to skip as my co-ordination isnt very good. I never learnt in school. I think now I could learn but I havnt had much time for it. As soon as I learn to skip more efficiently I want to use it within my excercise routines as it would be a very usefull addition.

Motivation can lack for many reasons. Such as depression and depression can be directly tackled by exercise.. except your demotivated. Thats why its important to have a plan and to stick to it. Need to brake out that negative cycle and stick to a plan.

Theres some very basic exercises which I started with for beginners. It wont be asking you to do any polyometric whatever lol but more basic maximum strengh building with interval running etc.

Pm me if your interested at all in talking.
Old 26th April 2008, 20:17

Hmm im confused, what would you consider strength training? Do you mean you target max strength rather than other strengh groups.

Maximal strengh training meaning "the force that one can exert under voluntary effort"

Compound training isnt something I do but im guessings its just a training type for building max strengh/muscle in particular.

5-10 reps of that sort makes sense when your training to build muscle alone without using other strengh groups. I would consider it still 'maximal strength' training though?
Old 26th April 2008, 20:43

Mood
Gloomy

Ahh, a topic close to my heart!!

I'm a kettlebell addict myself- excellent tool for GPP and strength endurance.

I cycle between a month of strength/strength endurance work and then a month of pure conditioning. My 'workouts' are very specific- not reams of different exercises. Kettlebells emphasise the posterior chain- the 'show' muscles get less attention- big pecs are not something I strive for!!

To be precise, 1 arm kettlebell clean and press and weighted pullups for strength, kettlebell swings and snatches for strength endurance. This is 3 times a week on a wave cycle. I 'practice' strength on the in-between days. Exercises such as turkish get ups, bent presses, deadlifts, farmers/overhead walks, heavy swings/snatches, grip/sledgehammer work ect but nothing too intensive on the CNS. As such I usually do something everyday bar sundays.

My strength aims are to be able to press a kettlebell at least half my bodyweight with one arm for reps (harder than dumbell equivalent lol) and pull ups with 150% bodyweight. For me that means using a 32Kg kettlebell- I want to press a 40Kg though hehe. 25 overhand thumbless deadhang pullups is also a target.

Muscle gain is nice, but I don't train the rep range for it to occur all that much- strength over size is my goal. The sheer volume of overhead pressing, (last workout was 75 20kg clean and presses per arm) does mean my shoulders grow, which is nice. If I wanted lots of muscle however, I would squat :D

If I do a pure strength month I deadlift 5 days a week- goal is tripple bodyweight.

Conditioning wise, the usual benchmark of good conditioning in the kettlebell community is being able to 1 arm snatch a 24kg kettlebell 200 times in 10 minutes, regardless of bodyweight.

I guess my aim is to keep my bodyfat low and be as well conditioned and as strong as possible!!
Old 26th April 2008, 21:03

Mood
Gloomy

Spot on with the reps Mastercaster- most don't see the difference :D

Some people slate strength, some slate muscle building, though of course no type of training is better than another, it all depends on your goals. As long as you train for your goals, then all is well

Why do I train strength? I just want to be really strong lol- I find that gives me a real quiet confidence hehe. I've had loads of people bigger than I pick up my kettlebells, and they can't believe what I do with them- gives a nice warm feeling inside lol. Whats more impressive- having your arse handed to you by a muscular giant or a wirey small guy!? I guess I'm also lucky that I have a good bone structre, (broad shoulders, small waist and I'm not very tall) and so the muscle I do have sits on me well, even though there isn't much of it there really. I'm sort of an illusion lol. Like I said however, my shoulders do grow due to the high volume- I'm never gonna say no to large shoulders!!

I do plan in a few months to do some high volume deadlifting, which should pack a few pounds on and fill me out. I never want to be massive though. Just want to build a good solid strength base right now and have an awesome work capacity hehe!
Old 26th April 2008, 21:12

Kettlebell lifting ay.

Lol that looks quite interesting. Why do you prefer it over I donno.. dumbbells? I prefer bodyweight myself so I dont know much about either. Might be something I will remember and try in the future if I want something different.

I sometimes use sandbags, or medicine ball or anything that is heavy and hard to hold. Thats usefull for explosive strengh and grip. Im crap at it so far.

When you do sledgehammer (Something I havnt done but is talked about in stuff I have read.) where do you do it?

How the hell did you get into that anyway. Dont be shy to post links about it.

Edit: I will be back later and answer.
Old 26th April 2008, 21:48

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Kettlebell lifting ay.

Lol that looks quite interesting. Why do you prefer it over I donno.. dumbbells? I prefer bodyweight myself so I dont know much about either. Might be something I will remember and try in the future if I want something different.

I sometimes use sandbags, or medicine ball or anything that is heavy and hard to hold. Thats usefull for explosive strengh and grip. Im crap at it so far.

When you do sledgehammer (Something I havnt done but is talked about in stuff I have read.) where do you do it?

How the hell did you get into that anyway. Dont be shy to post links about it.

Edit: I will be back later and answer.

Well, I used to love pullups and wanted strong shoulders + conditioning- Stumbled on a kettlbell site- they emphasise these thing so I thought I'd give it a try. Random really!!

I prefer kettlebells to dumbells because the centre of gravity of a kettlebell is way off centre- your stabilisers have to work really hard just to stop the damn thing from crushing you, even in the rack!! The equivalent weight DB feels like a breeze. Also, the snatch, (the 'best' kettlebell exercise) is an absolutely unique strength/conditioning drill- using a dumbell really aint the same. Don't get me wrong though, there is nothing wrong with dumbells! Freeweights in any form are excellent. This is just a route I've chosen- like I said I do mix in barbell work. One arm barbell sidepresses are another great drill!

I guess I also just like to be different hehe- sitting in my living room they are an excellent focal point!! Everyone is intrigued :D

Kettlebells also work the grip a lot- the handles are thicker than dumbells (about 1.5x), so just holding onto a 32kg cannonball falling from above your head with one hand is quite a challenge!! It also means I never have to do 'cardio'- I swing or snatch a kettlebell for just 10mins 3 times a week and it keeps me lean. It's not the actual work that keeps the fat off, it's the raised metabolism for hours that does it. Jogging for 30/45 mins just doesn't compare. After an intense session my heartrate is at about 195bpm. Of course if you really want to torch fat then longer sessions can be used.

The best place to start for kettlebell info is here:

http://www.dragondoor.com/

The website looks cheap and shoddy and the forum is badly structured, but the information is absolutely world class. Read the articles too- a mine of information. Not just kettlebell stuff there either- powerlifting, 'bodybuilding', bodyweight stuff and strongman training are often discussed.

I applaud your use of sandbags and odd item training- gives excellent functional capability- they are a big fan at dragondoor:D
Hope that helps- I can always give you more info
Old 26th April 2008, 21:49

Mood
Cool

Bugger all ATM!!
Old 26th April 2008, 21:53

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_ego_box
Spot on with the reps Mastercaster- most don't see the difference :D

Some people slate strength, some slate muscle building, though of course no type of training is better than another, it all depends on your goals. As long as you train for your goals, then all is well

Why do I train strength? I just want to be really strong lol- I find that gives me a real quiet confidence hehe. I've had loads of people bigger than I pick up my kettlebells, and they can't believe what I do with them- gives a nice warm feeling inside lol. Whats more impressive- having your arse handed to you by a muscular giant or a wirey small guy!? I guess I'm also lucky that I have a good bone structre, (broad shoulders, small waist and I'm not very tall) and so the muscle I do have sits on me well, even though there isn't much of it there really. I'm sort of an illusion lol. Like I said however, my shoulders do grow due to the high volume- I'm never gonna say no to large shoulders!!

I do plan in a few months to do some high volume deadlifting, which should pack a few pounds on and fill me out. I never want to be massive though. Just want to build a good solid strength base right now and have an awesome work capacity hehe!
It's quite surprising actually how people equaite size with strength, people often do body building exercises believing it'll make them strong and actually all they're doing is toning up useless or less then useful muscle.

I can recommend some fitness books i've found useful/helpful if you lot are interested!!
Old 26th April 2008, 22:39

Mood
Gloomy

Post away Pal, at no point does anyone know it all- we should all be willing to learn new material
Old 27th April 2008, 00:29

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_ego_box
Post away Pal, at no point does anyone know it all- we should all be willing to learn new material
Righty O, i shall try not to be a know it all.

OK i'm obviously coming at this from a MA percpective and as someone in this thread brilliantly pointed out people have different goals in fitness so these might not suit everyone.

Firstly i tend to find the military based fitness stuff to be particually good for building up useful muscle and stamina, soldiers obviously have to be very fit, particually if they're serving on the frontlines or in a combat role. Their training tends to reflect their need for total and hardcore fitness as a result it is usually better and more efficient then civilian fitness methods. The following three books i've personally found to be very helpful for military style fitness:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marine...9251151&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marine...9251301&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paras-Ultima...9251338&sr=1-1

These books aren't easy to get hold off nowadays though unfortunetly but if you can i'd strongly recommend them.

Also i've found this type of training very helpful if you're looking for a quicker, less intimidating and time saving military style method.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physical-Fit...9251566&sr=1-1

5BX, or 5 basic exercises, is a tenish minute a day work out designed by the Canadian airforce to give the best training possible in the shortish time.

Moving on from military methods:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...9251848&sr=1-1

This one's aimed at lads much more then lasses but can be done for women. Written by Charles Bronson (the criminal not the actor) these methods are designed to be very cheap and can be done in very little space. He developed the whole system from inside his prison cell and prisons exercise yard. Despite the fact he's regarded as one of Britain most notorious and famous criminals the book is extremely good from a fitness view point. It also includes a chapter on penis enlargement!! :D

Finally, from a weight lifting view point, i'd recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weight-Train...252316&sr=1-22

Ignore the Martial Artist part of the title if you aren't interested in MA, the book is designed to give you exercises that produce effective, useful muscle rather then show muscle!!

As i said at the begining these books might not suit everyone but hopefully they'll give someone some good instruction.
Old 27th April 2008, 00:59

Mood
Cool

Forgot to add, this book is also worth a butchers:

http://www.firefighterfit.com/

Based on firefighter fitness and mainly aimed at those wanting to join the fire service the book is full of practically advice and tips for excellent fitness.
Old 27th April 2008, 01:04

Mood
Crappy

I don't exercise at all!! After 8hrs at work on me feet I'm generally too F**ked to do anything, but I know I should! I want one of them wii fits but I have no money after paying for new glasses I am well pee'ed off. I don't drive so I walk about quite a bit, that's it.
Old 27th April 2008, 14:48
Banned

Quote:
Hmm im confused, what would you consider strength training? Do you mean you target max strength rather than other strengh groups.

Maximal strengh training meaning "the force that one can exert under voluntary effort"

Compound training isnt something I do but im guessings its just a training type for building max strengh/muscle in particular.

5-10 reps of that sort makes sense when your training to build muscle alone without using other strengh groups. I would consider it still 'maximal strength' training though?
2-4 reps = power

5-6 reps = strengh

8-12 reps = muscle growth

12- 20 reps = endurance
Old 27th April 2008, 15:32

Mood
Cool

Depending also on the weights you use, i'm not sure about those figures though David, where did you get them from.
Old 27th April 2008, 15:57

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCaster
Military style fitness is extremely demanding physically.
Doesn't have to be, not at the lower levels, it really does depend on what you want out of execising though.
Old 27th April 2008, 17:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Depending also on the weights you use, i'm not sure about those figures though David, where did you get them from.
ive been into training for years and thats just wot im aware off. im sure if you went on the internet then thats the same info ud get on this subject.

obviously weights is important to yes. for instance if u use an extremely light wieght for 8-12 reps then that simply will not result in muscle growth
Old 27th April 2008, 17:15

Mood
Cool

Quote:
I don't buy the useful muscle/ show muscle lark. Its a way of trying to discredit more conventional styles of weight training, it dosen't need to do that. No doubt any martial arts/ specialised training will make you a hard ass, don't need to stamp all over conventional weight training
I'm not aware of anyone actually doing that, in most cases all they're doing is demonstraiting the right exercies for your goals.
Old 27th April 2008, 21:05

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Military style fitness is extremely demanding physically. I guess if you have goals in mind or want to make drastic changes more quickly then pushing yourself to do that stuff is an option. However I think most people get better longterm progress, cutting back on energy expenditure by doing less intensive training. I could imagine myself doing something like this but not on a regular basis

I don't buy the useful muscle/ show muscle lark. Its a way of trying to discredit more conventional styles of weight training, it dosen't need to do that. No doubt any martial arts/ specialised training will make you a hard ass, don't need to stamp all over conventional weight training
Military style training results in frequent injury just because the volume of training has to be compressed into a relatively short space of time to get a large number of people to an adequate standard. It's perhaps not the best for an individual seeking to maximise their fitness gains whilst staying injury free. It's mostly based around running too which is why most of the problems occur.

IMHO opinion the functional versus non-functional muscle debate could just be seen as hypertrophy versus strength (not just limit strength could be strength endurance). What is your main priority? A body-builder or recreational trainer might seek size and aesthetics over pure strength or power. They might achieve a high degree of strength but it wasn't their main goal more a side effect albeit a desirable one. Personally speaking I trained powerlifting for a few years for strength and packed on quite a lot of muscle in that time as side effect, I went from 78kg to 89kg at my heaviest. I certainly wasn't complaining about it!
Old 27th April 2008, 21:12

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Some I've seen have slagged off bodybuilders
Mmmm i've not seen that in my circles but i suppose it's not surprising given that the world fitness does attract some testosterone fueled idiots.
Closed Thread