SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th October 2008, 10:10

Default Whats with the eyes??

first of all, let me let yall know that i am paranoid , as well as sa. Ok, so when im at work, taking peoples two dollars one after another, i noticed that people get really pissed and crazy when u don't look at them in the eyes. I have big problems doing this because when I look people in the eyes I feel like they are sucking all of the energy out of me and draining me completely. Its a weird, indescribable feeling. I don't enjoy it, yet I have realized that other people CRAVE it, confirming my belief that they get some kind of satisfaction out of looking into ur eyes and trying to read u. If I don't want to look in a strangers eyes while they hand me two dollars, should I force myself to do it and feel bad?
Old 17th October 2008, 10:26

Mood
Inspired

Default Re: Whats with the eyes??

Youre right . They do crave some recognition that they exist. Especially in America . We are a bit less in your face here in the UK. It freaks them out if you just act like a robot .

Try not to think of it as draining yourself . It is not just a meaningless routine because once you get used to it you will start getting something of a buzz from getting a smile back . I promise you.
Also the as*****s won't feel so bad .
Just try it with one or two customers at first . Maybe one who you don't see regurlarly.
Something like -glance in their eye and say "good morning" or at least "thanks".

You could go be a hermit in the mountains ;but if you don't you have to give a LITTLE to other people .Just like you have to drive on the right and you have to pay taxes! It might feel like a bad deal because of all the sh** youve been given but the response of the good guys will make it worthwhile. Try it just a little to see if I'm right! If guys hit on you just say no!
Old 17th October 2008, 10:28

I've been training myself at work to look people in the eye and can manage a few seconds before i get awkward, blush and look away.

I've no idea why i can't. I've never been brought up on it except for my partners dad, who made a comment about it.
Old 17th October 2008, 16:58

[QUOTE=hardy;641065]Youre right . They do crave some recognition that they exist. Especially in America . We are a bit less in your face here in the UK. It freaks them out if you just act like a robot .

i want to be a hermit in the mountains!!!...........where do i sign up?
Closed Thread