SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th June 2013, 23:38
davehedgehog

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

^what sort of exercise do you do gritty?

i find i notice a difference each time i exercise if i push myself that little bit extra the time before, the next time the exercise feels slightly easier. but if i don't push myself i just sort of stay on the same level. like i can cycle 15 miles every other day and not notice a difference but if on one ride i push it up a level and do 20 miles at a faster pace the next time i do 15 miles seems much easier.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:02
davehedgehog

^heart monitors seem to be quite helpfull. i'm thinking of getting a new cycle computer with one built in so i can see what mine gets up to during an average cycle ride.

i seem to improve more with my exercise if i have a couple of days off in between exercising so my muscles can recover from it. though i tend to get bored and just go for a bike ride any way. if your muscles still ache from your last work out then they haven't fully recovered yet so you shouldn't really be pushing them again straight away.

saying that it's still good to be active on rest days even if it's just going for a gentle walk some where but we all need to sit on our arse some days.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:31

Jogging went well, but was very painful. Asthma is proving quite the little bitch. :/
Old 12th June 2013, 22:09
davehedgehog

any one got any ideas of cardio type exercise you can do using upper body? not interested in lifting weights or doing press ups or sit ups. don't really want to go swimming. only thing i can find from google is upper cycling using your arms.

my legs ache from lots of cycling walking etc but i still want to do something. did think about buying a speed bag but not sure i'll use it enough to warrant the purchase.
Old 12th June 2013, 22:22

Mood
Breezy

^ just the upper body would be difficult but you could do rowing and concentrate on doing most of the work with your upper body. Versaclimber, again concentrating on using your arms more than your legs.
Don't think you'd get much out of a speed bag. A heavy bag would be a better bet if you have the space.
Or get a tractor tyre or big truck tyre and hit it with a sledgehammer. Knackering but cathartic.
Old 12th June 2013, 22:27
davehedgehog

^good idea with the tyre, i shall go round my mates and chop up fire wood for him.

why didn't i think of that.

might also think about sticking a big punch bag up in my garage, neighbours got one i might ask if i can have a go next time i see him.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:54

Mood
Sleepy

The last time I did any exercise was in P.E at school, and I bunked off most of that.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:50

Back to my PB on the squat and deadlift, after a month out of lifting, and sporadic lifting as of late, so I'm happy about that.

Today, however, my arse aches, my back aches, my shoulders ache, my legs ache, so exercising can do one - today is sweet FA day.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:25

Finished my training, so two weeks tapering down for my Ultra trail run, went for a hour jog today ,and took music, it was raining but hot, and my legs are a bit grilled ,so recovery time.

I have also started tanning my feet in an attempt to limit blisters, along with my daily dose of NOK , I think I spend more time on my feet than my make up in the morning
Old 18th June 2013, 18:36

Jogging again tonight.

AAWWW GAAAAWWD MY LUNGS!!!

Old 18th June 2013, 20:28

^ The joys lol.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:17

Courir
Weather hot and heavy, endurance 40 minutes then 2k faster finish. I wore some new white contention socks (not sure if that's the right term in English), but felt like a football player.. back 2 black tomo
Old 21st June 2013, 22:27

Hurt my back a bit when I was holding my legs out doing pull ups (my fault, I overdone it), so had to pull-out of doing my squats yesterday. I'll do them Sunday. Made up for it today with jogging, however :D. Went jogging with my dad again. He was moping about beforehand, saying he can't be bothered, but I kicked his ass. xD
Old 21st June 2013, 23:49

Mood
Breezy

^ If you feel you get that type of back strain again you could try and stretch out your hip flexors straight after doing the L sit pull ups for instant relief. (If you didn't know already)They attach to your lumbar spine as well as your hips so they directly pull on your lower back and the L sit hold will really tense them up = strained lower back. Of course stopping as soon as you lose a neutral spine position would prevent any back strain.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
^ If you feel you get that type of back strain again you could try and stretch out your hip flexors straight after doing the L sit pull ups for instant relief. (If you didn't know already)They attach to your lumbar spine as well as your hips so they directly pull on your lower back and the L sit hold will really tense them up = strained lower back. Of course stopping as soon as you lose a neutral spine position would prevent any back strain.
Thanks for the advice, man, but the bolded part is what I should have done. Went for an extra rep or two that I shouldn't have :/.
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:41
Banned at own request

^ well done

WHY FLAT TYRES?
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:23

Are we talking completely flat here or just soft? If the former, then... wtf, man? xD
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:39
Banned at own request

^ When I use to have a mountain bike, the tyres use to always go flat. I really wish I actually learnt to maintain the bike instead of allowing my mum to just chuck it out. It was fun riding it and I loved pedal power but was afraid to ride on the road and I needed to do more cycling I think to improve my posture, know how to properly use the gears.

It seems like some of the main things, not including ppl, that I want right now require money I need to find a way to overcome my fear of a paid job.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:44

Off to the gym. Back and biceps today. Bit nervous tbh as ive never been at this time before so hope its not too busy. Couldn't be bothered to get out of bed this morning so had a long lie instead ha
Old 24th June 2013, 23:42

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Thanks for the advice, man, but the bolded part is what I should have done. Went for an extra rep or two that I shouldn't have :/.
lol
Done it bazillion times!
Old 25th June 2013, 15:15
davehedgehog

bought my hybrid bike about a month ago i've done about 350 miles on it. my average speed when i got it was 11mph i've got it up to nearly 14mph now. i'm aiming to do 15 miles in an hour. after i had kidney stones last year my average speed was down to 9mph

went for a run last night well a run/walk 4 miles took about an hour, have to improve on that.
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba
Riding with flat tyres is a bit like self imposed torture, well maybe not but anyway got them pumped up and went out again today and it was piss easy to ride, could easily double my mileage I reckon.
lol yeah I reckon I get more exercise out of riding flats, that's what I keep telling myself anyway. I miss cycling.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:08
davehedgehog

my tyres are inflated to 100psi on my road bike. harder the tyres the less rolling resistance i'm not fussed on making lots of effort and not getting any where. my hybrids inflated to about 70psi as they're not high pressure tyres.

over the last few days i've been on three bike rides one to the new forest did about 25 miles another to local shore beach place about 25 miles and monday went to winchesters new cycle viaduct following national cycle network number 23 with a swim half way ride was 37 miles. today i'm doing fck all.

^won't be long mamba before you're back to pedalling, take the opportunity to give your bike a good clean and a service.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:20

f*ck that I can't be arsed that involves walking and standing. I've been doing push ups instead and my shoulders are getting nice and strong. Yay!! Finally.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:29
davehedgehog

^go on i bet your chain and sprockets could do with a clean, i've been using machine mart parts cleaner on mine it works great better than all the gimmicky crap sold specifically for bikes.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:29

Started doing sandbag training after my jogs. I need help.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:38

^ Whats that?
Old 10th July 2013, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
^ Whats that?
I made a 'sandbag' out of a bag of gravel (weighs about 25kg) by wrapping it in rubble sacks and duct taping it (it looks like a massive bag of crack ) and I do various routines with it. It's exhausting. I'm breathing out my arse at the end of it. xD
Old 12th July 2013, 17:28

This little cube has caused me more agony than one could fathom.

Old 12th July 2013, 17:38

Mood
Artistic

i really want to start exercising more..want to tone up.. will be getting my exercise ball out...walking my dog for longer...getting a new pair of trainers and doing some sit up, crunches, stretches etc just need motivation...