SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you care more or less about your appearence?
More 14 21.88%
Less 28 43.75%
About the same as in my teens and 20s 22 34.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th September 2012, 15:54

Mood
Mellow

Default Do you care more or less about your appearence?

I think I care less when going out nowadays compared to in my teens and 20s as I used to worry obsessively about my face (spots and blemishes), the way I walked and my bum being too big in some clothes!

Maybe though, if I was actively looking for a partner, I would make more effort.
Old 11th September 2012, 17:52

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Do you care more or less about your appearence?

clothes used to be a big thing for me,.
they were often a reason for being self-conscious or embarressed,
we didn't have much money when I was young so I'd always be wearing completely ridiculous outfits, it all felt out of my control to a cetain extent,...
and so a connection came into play between clothes and self-conscious embarressment

when I got older I'd always be very reluctant to dress up in any way as it would bring unwanted personal attention,.

in my late twenties and onwards I developed a very bland sort of uniform, same colours, same type of clothes, which I'd always wear everywhere without fail,..

it's only lately that I've realised I can dress up and make a difference to how I come across,.
and somehow the self-conscious thing has been reversed and I now feel less conspicuous if I do dress as best as I can,
and I'm more self-conscious if I don't make an effort...
Old 11th September 2012, 18:00

I don't think I've ever cared that much about the way I look, the only time i ever obsessed about it is when I was with my ex as he used to comment on how I look (in a bad way) a lot so I used to think loads was wrong.

But I've always been someone who hasn't put much effort into the way I look, maybe because I'm quite confident with in myself that I don't spend hours getting ready or choosing what to wear or doing my make up. I could easily go outside in my pjs and not care I wish i could tbh

Oh just realised this was in the overs forum, oppsy
Old 11th September 2012, 18:22

Mood
Pensive

"About the same as in my teens and 20s"

Except that when I was that age I was a lot more concerned about what other people think and fitting in. there is still some of that about for me now but I tend now to wear the clothes I like.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:44

Mood
Breezy

I care less about my appearance. I still take pride in myself though. I'm not going to let myself get out of shape or dress like a tramp just because I'm older but I don't really have any concern what others think of my looks in terms of what I'm wearing or my physical appearance if I'm happy with myself.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:48

Mood
Chatty

yeah. i try my best. Don't know why mind you......
Old 13th September 2012, 09:44

Mood
Torn

I don't want to look on the outside how I feel on the inside, so I make a great effort to look smart casual. My hair sometimes lets me down as it thick and grows so quickly, making maintenance expensive.

Sometimes my make-up leaves a lot to be desired too. It is put on quickly and with distaste at what I am seeing in the mirror. I think once you let yourself go, it is a signal to others that something is wrong. If you are young, it is not such a problem as their some variations on fashion that you can go for.

Having said that, my vicious morons neighbours never miss a thing I wear and will raise their voices to make bitchy remarks.

Anyone have any ideas where I can buy 6/8 size jeans that ARE NOT SKINNY? Would be obliged, as they say.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:06

Less. I still worry far too much, but I'm far more comfortable with the way I look now.
The amount of money I have wasted on clothes, that I have later decided don't look good on me is ridiculous.

A lot of the insecurities I used to have are either not relevant anymore or I simply care less about them. More worried about showing my awkwardness and nervousness through my body language these days.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:25

Mood
Cheerful

Less as I'm become older, but still feel paranoid and think I always will
Old 13th September 2012, 22:31

Mood
Curious

When I go out I put more effort In.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:40

Mood
Musical

About the same!
Old 13th September 2012, 22:55

I used to worry quite a lot that I was ugly, but not so much these days. Still not particularly happy about my looks though.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:41

I don't care anymore (or am just lazy and can't be bothered) unitl I am out and see someone I know and then feel really uncomfortable and embaressed because I am a slob Too late then!!
Old 17th September 2012, 15:29

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
I don't care anymore (or am just lazy and can't be bothered) unitl I am out and see someone I know and then feel really uncomfortable and embaressed because I am a slob Too late then!!
Well, the partial photo' said quite the opposite. Your hair was immaculate for starters!

As a nurse, I doubt you are a slob!!
Old 17th September 2012, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo
Well, the partial photo' said quite the opposite. Your hair was immaculate for starters!

As a nurse, I doubt you are a slob!!
*sits on sofa in track bottoms*

Oh my, my hair only looks like that when it's work days or maybe after a work day, otherwise it's pony, headband and fuzz .... I shall entertain you with a picture one day maybe

ok maybe not a slob..... but scruffy none the less! If I hadn't left my night job, I wouldn't make much effort at all. It's only since I been back on days I been wearing make up and straightening my hair. (and the rare times I go to the pub or an Sauk meet I will make some effort then)
Old 17th September 2012, 16:13

Mood
Torn

Unlike a lot of women my age, I tend to want to be comfortable more than smart at home. I like to be able to curl up on the sofa, hence my jeans, whatever, are kneed and creased, the inevitable fleece on the top half, freezing in this house - brow of hill, faces north - the elements hit it with a vengence. I wear makeup, its literally war paint, and try to keep my hair looking as though I'm not demented, as never know when the police might pop by again. I envy women who look immaculate in their home. I don't know how they manage it.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:43

I care far less. As a teen I had BDD to the point I wouldn`t leave the house as I honestly felt it was cruel of me to make other people have to see me. Now like most people I have days when I feel ok about how I look and other days when I just think "yuk",but even on the "yuk" days I tell myself that this is how I look whether I like it or not,and if people don`t like what they`re seeing then they shouldn`t be looking. This doesn`t stop the crappy feeling,but does make it so I can at least get on with whatever it is I need to do that day.

Signs of aging bother me,but there`s nothing I can do about them so I try not to think about them too much and just go with it. Getting (physically)older is not my favourite thing in the world but as my father always used to point out,it`s better than the alternative!
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:16

I voted more, but i guess its the same or a bit more than teens early 20's. I've always wore make up and dont want to feel as though i look horrible which i do without my war paint on... i care that i've gained loads of weight but need to care more enough to do something about it. I also think people are staring at me and looking at faults so like having make up on it makes me feel better. However i am a slob and enjoy not putting make up on and staying at cosy safe home in my sloth clothing ...
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:40

Mood
Tired

I find I care much less nowadays. I don't really see anyone, so I guess that has a lot to do with it. If I have an appointment at home, I do make an effort with my appearance though, so if I started to go out again I would probably care more than I presently do
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:43

hmmm i wished i would say yes, but my above average looks make up for my below average personality, but now im getting grey hairs, losing hairs and putting on weight so i guess i better develop some charisma before I end looking like a cueball
Old 28th September 2012, 02:58

Mood
Bookworm

^ my situation's similar. I do like my face and have been told it's a "good" one, I suppose I'm rather vain in that way, my uni friends would sometimes berate me for spending so long looking at my reflection lol. But don't worry, a) I don't like pretty much every other aspect of my appearance, and b) my hair's receding. In a year or two it'll all be ruined. And it's probably all premised on low self esteem anyway, thinking my symmetrical skull might make people like me but my personality obviously wouldn't.

Anyway :/
Old 29th September 2012, 00:18

When I was young 18 - 22 I didn't pay attention to my appearance , I suppose the character "Tom" from "The Good Life" springs to mind

Young people don't look too bad whatever they wear (I don't think chavs existed at the time)

When I was 18 - I looked about 30 , when I lost weight at 38 - I looked about 30

23 - 37 - I didn't look good - I looked like the living dead for much of that period

I have bus pass photos for some of these periods

If geeks had been popular when I was 18 - 22 then I may have fared better , but Take That and Bross were popular at the time

People said I was ugly when I was younger though , I remember doing temporary work at about 19 and a middle aged women temp worker (Claire Rayner lookalike) said "I had a face only a mother could love"

I didn't take much notice of it at the time

I looked my best at about 38 - 40 due to losing weight

Exercise and facial expression are more important than looks and clothes I think
Old 29th September 2012, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-moving-lines
^ my situation's similar. I do like my face and have been told it's a "good" one, I suppose I'm rather vain in that way, my uni friends would sometimes berate me for spending so long looking at my reflection lol. But don't worry, a) I don't like pretty much every other aspect of my appearance, and b) my hair's receding. In a year or two it'll all be ruined. And it's probably all premised on low self esteem anyway, thinking my symmetrical skull might make people like me but my personality obviously wouldn't.

Anyway :/
if your concerned about hair loss, Regaine is clinically proven to help, its about £15 a month for a months supply, and you have to take it for the rest of your life, but its worth it imo, id be devastated if I lost my hair, I don't possess a nice shaped head unlike someone like Bruce Willis, you can also get it on prescription if your go thinks losing your hair would cause you psychological harm.
Old 1st October 2012, 18:19

Mood
Torn

Quote:
If I feel like I am looking a mess, then it makes me feel miserable

Same here. I feel as you get older - although you're no age - it's more important to care for your appearance. You cannot rely on a luminous skin - although I had acne! - and the benefits of youth. Everything needs a little more help I find.
Old 1st October 2012, 20:24

Mood
Melancholy

I care much less. I was a bit of a "Barbie Doll" when younger and used to be preened to within an inch of my life. Now I don't go out, so don't tend to make an effort. My dogs love me no matter how I look.
Though, if I do have to open the door to someone, I'm very aware that I don't look my best now and get embarrassed sometimes.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:36

As a ginge i get openly ridiculed as soon as i enter a public space, so still worry same as in teens.