Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th July 2007, 13:33

Mood
Sneaky

Default PC problems, please help!

ok, i can't use my pc. here's what happened.

when you start up, you can access this menu where you can adjust the fan settings and stuff. i don't know what this menu is called, but i'll call it the "system menu" for the sake of this post.

the other day, i started up my pc, and this "system menu" came up. i pressed escape or whatever it is you press to come out of it, and then it said "save changes and exit?" and i thought, "well, i didn't make any changes, but ok"...so i pressed ok and that was that.

the machine started up again, and the system menu came up again - but this time it said "enter password"! i can't get past this stage. i have no idea why this password would be required or what it might be.

anyone have any ideas? is my computer fcked eternally or can i do something about this?

help!
Old 5th July 2007, 13:41

Default Re: PC problems, please help!

Try this page. Make a note of who makes what is called the BIOS (makes sure everything is working before it starts the operating system). It'll either be American Megatrends (AMI), Award, Phoenix or another manufacturer (see post #5 for screenshots of what you need to look for). If you can't see it, press TAB or look for an option which says something like "show POST screen".

This page has default passwords you can try to get back in and disable the password feature.

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

Try all the passwords.

If that fails, you'll need to open up the PC, I have had to open up someone else's PC before with the same problem and it does work. Let me know if it worked or not.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:41

Sounds a little like what happend to mine shrtly after a 'friend' apparently 'reconfigured' it
What i had to do as soon as I switched it on was to hit F8, then a start up menue would pop up then hit Esc, it would boot up then.
Mine was caused by a courrupt file.

Not much help sorry
Old 5th July 2007, 13:43
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
ok, i can't use my pc. here's what happened.

when you start up, you can access this menu where you can adjust the fan settings and stuff. i don't know what this menu is called, but i'll call it the "system menu" for the sake of this post.

the other day, i started up my pc, and this "system menu" came up. i pressed escape or whatever it is you press to come out of it, and then it said "save changes and exit?" and i thought, "well, i didn't make any changes, but ok"...so i pressed ok and that was that.

the machine started up again, and the system menu came up again - but this time it said "enter password"! i can't get past this stage. i have no idea why this password would be required or what it might be.

anyone have any ideas? is my computer fcked eternally or can i do something about this?

help!
Sorry, not much I can say to help, but have you tried using "password" as the password? (or admin) as these are often the default passwords.
Old 5th July 2007, 14:05

Just for sullenskink's benefit, these are the major BIOS screenshots to determine which BIOS you have, so you know which passwords to try for your PC. It may differ slightly from what is seen here.

American Megatrends BIOS:

Award BIOS:

Phoenix BIOS:

Ignore all the red lines and yellow rings obviously! :p
Old 5th July 2007, 14:49

Might be an obvious suggestion, but you could try just entering a blank password. Is your Motherboard second hand or anything? The previous owner may have set the password at some point in the past, and it may have accidentally got switched on again somehow. If all else fails, you can always reset your motherboard settings, though you would then have to reconfigure it again.
Old 5th July 2007, 20:07

Mood
Innocent

If its NOT the bios, but windows is protected, tap f8 as it boots then choose safe mode - when it loads, go to control panel/users and click the tab saying about asking for passwords (say 'no') and apply. reboot, you're done!

If it is the bios, remove the power leads, open the case, find the battery on your motherboard (a disc-like watch battery in a holder) and take it out carefully (blunt screwdriver). Then run the screwdriver over the little 'jumper' contacts around the bottom and side of the motherboard. This wipes the bios memory and removes the passwords!
It will NOT bugger up your computer
put everything back together and boot up, you will have to enter the bios (unless it is fairly new) to set it up again (usually just enter it then save and exit).
Phew
Hope this helps.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:08

Mood
Sneaky

well, it doesn't sound like my computer is ruined, at any rate! thanks for these suggestions, i will try em out. i'll let youse know how i get on. again, thanks a lot, i'm missing my online scrabble! (er, and sauk obviously )
Old 6th July 2007, 12:26
Gecko

Yeah get it sorted out, you have a duty to entertain the good people of sauk. Just like Concept and Fugmaster who have been resting on their laurels, of late. I need regular doses of wacky humour to keep me from crossing the line into despair.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:29
stu1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotCool
If its NOT the bios, but windows is protected, tap f8 as it boots then choose safe mode - when it loads, go to control panel/users and click the tab saying about asking for passwords (say 'no') and apply. reboot, you're done!

If it is the bios, remove the power leads, open the case, find the battery on your motherboard (a disc-like watch battery in a holder) and take it out carefully (blunt screwdriver). Then run the screwdriver over the little 'jumper' contacts around the bottom and side of the motherboard. This wipes the bios memory and removes the passwords!
It will NOT bugger up your computer
put everything back together and boot up, you will have to enter the bios (unless it is fairly new) to set it up again (usually just enter it then save and exit).
Phew
Hope this helps.
Yeah, take the battery out for cmos, wait untill memory has discharged.

Stu
Old 7th July 2007, 16:03

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
Yeah get it sorted out, you have a duty to entertain the good people of sauk. Just like Concept and Fugmaster who have been resting on their laurels, of late. I need regular doses of wacky humour to keep me from crossing the line into despair.
haha! your mood depends on my shitty banter!? you gonna die!
Old 7th July 2007, 16:05

Mood
Sneaky

none of the passwords worked for me, so it looks like i'll be taking that battery out.

if this wipes the BIOS off, how does one get a BIOS back on again? i didn't set up my software from scratch.

do i need some sort of BIOS disc or will windows set it up for me with some kinda wizard?

again, thanks to everyone who has helped out here, i was kind of panicking!
Old 7th July 2007, 16:15

Mood
Pensive

It's not easy to corrupt your BIOS as it's hard wired/(programmed) into one of the chips on your motherboard. So don't worry about messing it up somehow!

Try the battery thing and see how you go. Hopefully this will restore the BIOS to the default settings and you won't be troubled by requests for passwords.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:16

Mood
Sneaky

oh, so taking the battery out only puts the settings back to default?
Old 7th July 2007, 16:20

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
oh, so taking the battery out only puts the settings back to default?
That's the idea, yes.
You're trying to make it 'forget' it's last known settings, so it reverts back to it's defaults.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:22

Mood
Sneaky

groovy! i can do that when i get home!

by the way, i just had a vanilla slice - is that filo pastry? it was delicious.

actually i'm talking BS - i had two - THEY were delicious.

thanks for your help. and if you are lying, its a good prank!
Old 7th July 2007, 16:26

I hope you can get your PC fixed, sullenskink. I'd hate to be without mine, I've become so dependant on it.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:27

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross PK
I hope you can get your PC fixed, sullenskink. I'd hate to be without mine, I've become so dependant on it.
i'm pretending i'm not dependent on it. i'm just viewing this as a large inconvenience.

:embarass:
Old 7th July 2007, 16:28

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
that filo pastry?
Nah, just good old fashioned flaky i think(?)

Quote:
and if you are lying, its a good prank!

MUHAHAHA :batangel:

Old 7th July 2007, 17:00

Mood
Sneaky

POWE---EEERR UP!

that's done it, folks, i'm back on the world wide internet in skink manor now!

thanks again peeps, seriously cool that you lot were so helpful. i did the battery thing.
Old 7th July 2007, 18:45

Mood
Innocent

Cool, glad it worked!
Closed Thread