SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd December 2006, 08:20

Default A conversation

Helloo there,
Yesterday I had to ask a workmate/superior a fairly dull question about a work matter, I was doing fairly well at impersonating a normal human being and containing my madness when he asked me a question that required a lengthy answer, at this point I panicked, started stuttering, bumbling, shaking, sweating, and possibly even dribbling, I could see the look of confusion in the poor guys eyes as I dissapeared into my own personal hell, a version of reality narrowed down to a small black point of hyper self awareness, a rabbit frozen in my own headlights.
I was vaguely aware of the surreal conversation going on as if heard from another universe, a classic case of depersonalisation I suppose.
Oh what fun life is, none of it makes sense to me, even at the best of times its a strange and ghostly thing, like swimming in ectoplasm.
Old 2nd December 2006, 08:33

Default Re: A conversation

Hey Mr Biscuits,

I experience the same on a daily basis... Thoughts start running through my head like, "What the hell am I trying to say? I don't even remember the question.." Very frustrating!!! Sometimes what I do when that happens is look past the person and focus on something else in the area, so that the person I'm attempting to talk to ends up looking in the same direction I am, wondering what the attraction is. This sometimes gives me some time to catch my breath and talk myself into calming down a bit..I actually started doing this cuz I couldn't look people in the eyes, and I used to get annoyed when they looked away, but now I realise its helped a lot!! :embarass:
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:07

Thanks for the reply chen, its comforting to hear other peoples experiences of this. Wouldnt it be great if we could all just be ourselves without fear of being judged, total acceptance by all. The fear and confusion seem to be a conflict between the way we are inside and the way we wish to appear to others, resulting in paralysis.
Id personally love to go to a group or meeting where the agenda was total acceptance, total freedom to be yourself, fears, desires the lot, for me there would be no fear at all then, it would be very liberating. I think this deserves a seperate thread...someone should arrange it!
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:29

If you visit the SA-UK Meetings room, you may find a group within your area or alternatively you could start one. I've found it a bit more difficult given I'm on the other side of the world where SAD isn't as well-known or cared about for that matter but I'll get there!
Closed Thread