SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st January 2006, 03:22

Default Gender distinction

Does anyone else feel that it would be useful to know if members are male or female when reading posts? The SA Scotland site has those male/female symbols (do they have a name?!) beneath the member's name/username. Don't know if this is possible but just a thought...
Old 31st January 2006, 04:14

Default Re: Gender distinction

Yes!

I always wonder why its not like this.
Old 31st January 2006, 08:29

Mood
Dreaming

I'm always curious which genders posters are! There are some people here that I just assumed (based on their name/images) that they were a particular gender then later found out they were the other, it's weird!
The symbol idea is a good one. If people didnt want their gender known they could just ask for it not to be shown. I like this idea!
Old 31st January 2006, 08:32

Just do it like they do on other site.Give the people the option of it.
Old 31st January 2006, 08:40

Mood
Dreaming

Surely if our location can be displayed in the corner (optionally) then so can our gender?

Although, shouldnt this thread be in the garage? (although it wouldnt get noticed as much there)
Old 31st January 2006, 08:59

I suppose it would help, most people work out if you are male or female by the sort of username you have or the kind of posts you do. I have read what appear to be masculine or feminine posts and it later emerges that who you think is a boy or girl is actually the other gender !

From the above four posts (top to bottom) I'd guess you were boy, boy, girl & boy
Old 31st January 2006, 09:56

what for? although some people know my gender on here as ive been around for ages, i like the way i can post on some forums without necessarily giving away information about me that may influence peoples responses to my posts. i guess if its not compulsary then okay...
Old 31st January 2006, 10:36

What the hells the point of that? Its not a bloody dating forum. If you want to know, why not ask the person.
Old 31st January 2006, 10:44

for some reason when i first started posting i didn't want people knowing my gender. or i wanted to see if people could tell i was female from my posts. they couldn't - nearly everyone assumed i was a bloke. i am happy for people's genders to remain mysterious.
Old 31st January 2006, 10:59

Doesn't bother me either way. I can see arguments both for and against, though I'd tend to lean more towards the user's right for anonymity, and by virtue of that, gender establishment be left disabled by default.

This would probably get a better response if it was moved to The Garage.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardcreams
i like the way i can post on some forums without necessarily giving away information about me that may influence peoples responses to my posts.
I can see how you worry about guys thinking you're getting all stroppy / having a girly moment- PMT and lashing out whilst writing a post. Some guys would dismiss your opinions on those grounds, depending on the debate.

Quote:
What the hells the point of that? Its not a bloody dating forum. If you want to know, why not ask the person.
Don't get all worked up over it. People don't ask these sorts of things because of SA. Nobody was palnning on turning this place into a meat market. We'd need a gay flag option as well if it was to become that sort of place. The gender symbol would be just another feature if people wanted to use it, such as the avatar or post signature is.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker101
Marry me honey.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:30

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker101
Well I do want to know who I am talking to! I think it's good if we get to know each other, what's wrong with that?! We can choose to let people know in the top-right-hand corner where we're from. I think that's more private than what gender we are!
If we can show where we're from then why not what gender we are.
I think it's a good idea as an OPTIONAL system (just as location is).
Surely you can't argue with an optional system? If you dont like it, opt out!
Old 31st January 2006, 12:02

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman
In my experience it's not too tricky to identify a poster's sex. For instance, if whilst perusing the discussion board you find yourself thinking "My God, this person is completely barking" then your suspicions should immediately be aroused that you are reading the scribblings of one of the fairer sex. If on top of that you notice that the writer has no logical thought processes and resorts to hysterics, petulance and tantrums rather than sensible debate then the case is clinched: the poster is a woman.
If, on the other hand, you find yourself impressed by the well reasoned, rational way a post unfolds its argument, by the general of humour and good naturedness about the post, and by the author's willingness to see the bigger picture and not get bogged down in irrelevant details then the poster was undoubtedly male.

There you are you see. All quite straightforward really.

Bananaman (male, obviously).
Oh of course, why didn't I think of that? Oh, it must be because I'm female. We have such silly, simple minds you know. Now I think I need something to calm me down after so much thought. Where's my chocolate bar...
Old 31st January 2006, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
Marry me honey.
Are you male or female?
Old 31st January 2006, 13:31

I'm not bothered either way really, although having said that, I do like to form a mental picture of who I'm talking to when replying to a poster. I've often thought I was talking to a person of one sex when in fact they were of the other. Not that this is a problem or anything.

On the old board I actually posted here as a female for a short time but no one sussed me, not even people I know really well via PM messages. I was still 'me', but just used a different username and signed my posts with a female name. People can react differently to your posts dependent on the image they get of you, and gender can influence that image. Some people were different to me as 'her' than they are to 'Innerspace'.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markimark
That wasnt you was it? The one that i sent that picture to? I dont normally do that sort of thing you know the camera just happened to go off as i was getting out the shower!
And I suppose the picture just fell into the envelope and posted itself did it?

Any more lip from you on this board and the picture gets posted on the site. OK?
Old 31st January 2006, 14:18

This thread has just laid out into the open a whole bunch of homo- erotic urges. Time to come out boys.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:30

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Kitty
This thread has just laid out into the open a whole bunch of homo- erotic urges. Time to come out boys.
these urges never seem to require much prompting, from what i've seen on here. not that there's anything wrong with that of course
Old 31st January 2006, 14:31

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman
In my experience it's not too tricky to identify a poster's sex. For instance, if whilst perusing the discussion board you find yourself thinking "My God, this person is completely barking" then your suspicions should immediately be aroused that you are reading the scribblings of one of the fairer sex. If on top of that you notice that the writer has no logical thought processes and resorts to hysterics, petulance and tantrums rather than sensible debate then the case is clinched: the poster is a woman.
If, on the other hand, you find yourself impressed by the well reasoned, rational way a post unfolds its argument, by the general air of humour and good naturedness about the post, and by the author's willingness to see the bigger picture and not get bogged down in irrelevant details then the poster was undoubtedly male.

There you are you see. All quite straightforward really.

Bananaman (male, obviously).
going by this post, bananaman must really be female
Old 31st January 2006, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
these urges never seem to require much prompting, from what i've seen on here. not that there's anything wrong with that of course
Fancy a drink tonight ? Thats after we go pump up our muscles at the gym in Soho.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:36

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Fancy a drink tonight ? Thats after we go pump up our muscles at the gym in Soho.
pump your own muscles!
Old 31st January 2006, 14:37

Quote:
OOO! Only if I can borrow your silver spandex top.
Old 31st January 2006, 15:04

Did someone say Spandex? :D
Old 31st January 2006, 16:03

Mood
Dreaming

Okay, this conversation is going off topic now. That's usually okay, but I do want the mods to take notice of this thread. It should really be in the garage, any chance of anyone moving it?
Old 31st January 2006, 16:06

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by markimark
just cut n paste your original post and place it in the garage amber
It's not my thread.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
Okay, this conversation is going off topic now. That's usually okay, but I do want the mods to take notice of this thread. It should really be in the garage, any chance of anyone moving it?
Naughty me. I'll remember to slap my wrist.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:08

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
Naughty me. I'll remember to slap my wrist.
Good. I'll let you off this time but you better never step out of line again. I mean it!
Old 31st January 2006, 16:13

Okay. On topic. Mind not wandering. Mind not wandering.

Does it really matter if a person's gender is clarified on the site? I admit that psychologically it will change how people will interact/communicate with each other, but sometimes I think not knowing allows the beautiful words to flow and dance through the ever lasting mystery of member gendership.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:18

My tongue and cheek are making spit babies together.

markimark - we've done it again. We should be reported to the UN Security Council for Ruining Internet Threads.
Closed Thread