SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2023, 17:45

Default How easy did you find it to access therapy?

Was it relatively straightforward? Some people talk as if it's just something you can decide to do one day, but I find it a very difficult process.

My GP seems very reluctant to refer me to anything. The only thing they seem keen to suggest is going back on medication that I've been taking on and off for about 20 years, but I don't really find it that useful. If I go back on it I'll be on it for the rest of my life but it offers me such little benefit I feel it would be pointless. If it could drastically change my life I'd be well up for it, but it doesn't really do anything.

I have a reputation as a "difficult" patient that doesn't engage properly with therapy. I worry that I've basically been blacklisted because of this. If therapy is only for go-getting aspirational types who take to it like a duck to water then I don't know why anyone suggests it would be of any use for me? My whole problem is I struggle with that kind of thing.

None of it is new to me, I've been in and out of mental health services for 20 years so I think that makes a difference compared to someone getting referred for the first time. I often feel like they've written me off as a lost cause now. They're focus seems to be more on me not getting any worse rather than getting better.

I find it mind boggling when I hear others talk about how much help is out there. It doesn't feel like that at all in my experience.
Old 7th July 2023, 18:07

Default Re: How easy did you find it to access therapy?

^ that's awful. I wonder if PALs or something similar could support with sorting this? Or possibly Mind?

----------

Really challenging.

Working full time Monday to Friday and long hours makes it extremely difficult to get seen.

This could be completely wrong, but I think I'd need to go somewhere privately to be able to be seen in the evenings (which wouldn't be ideal after a long day) or at a weekends. Unless things have changed?

I'm not sure what to do really.

If anyone who works full time or has an experience of going to see someone in the evenings or weekends to share that would be great.
Old 7th July 2023, 19:19

Default Re: How easy did you find it to access therapy?

I had a similar experience to Nanuq with my local talk therapy - self refer, assessment, another assessment with plan of action, then nothing, then a message 'if you don't get in touch within so-and-so time we will cut you off' .... ! I was going through the motions with it anyway. It was about this time last year - i had just started a new job, which was my main focus and it wasn't the best time for it. I wanted something more 'solid' anyway because i was going through a tough time and talking therapies don't work for me - not what's on offer anyway.

I don't even know what i want in the way of 'therapy'. I'm not your typical person and i'm not certain what my 'problem' is. General standard talking therapies don't work for people who're are mid-life and have always struggled to function within society.