Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st October 2018, 02:53

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: Can't sleep :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
I can***8217;t sleep because I have a right sore throat :[

also because I***8217;m excited that Dom Monaghan from LOTR answered my question on Instagram *squee*

but mainly I can***8217;t sleep because I feel crud.
That***8217;s so cool! Which table did he pick?

(Also Thanks for wishing me well for my appointments (and newbs) they went okay, although I can barely remember what it was for now)

Here as usual, a little bit later I***8217;m going to go for an early morning stroll I think
Old 11th October 2018, 23:43

I can***8217;t wait for the clocks to go back
Old 13th October 2018, 04:15

Mood
Relaxed

The people next door woke me up with their screaming, shouting, crying and threatening to shoot eachother. Typical.
Old 15th October 2018, 03:04

I'm part of this club tonight, I've started to worry about things too which isn't helping.
Old 15th October 2018, 15:07

^ Thank you
Old 18th October 2018, 03:46

Oh this is good. Yeah, I tell you what, why don't I just lie here fully conscious for a few hours and then feel like recently ploughed dirt all day, when the sun's out and I'm in the office being expected to function as a human being with a job title and a name. That'll work. You've clearly thought this one through, subconscious brain, so I'll leave the difficult task of muddling through the day on a strong dose of caffeine in your capable hands... wait, you don't have any hands? well marvellous. I'm sure it'll just work out fine somehow!
Old 18th October 2018, 09:13

^

Hope it ain't so bad!
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:30

^Television will definitely send you to sleep!

I hope you manage to get some sleep, biscuits; I did manage to get some, I'm now getting ready to drive down to Luton airport.
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:53

^On holiday (to Athens) - I'll be collecting the someone special on the way. Now get off SAUK and get some sleep (in the nicest possible way)!
Old 3rd November 2018, 05:21
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Well the 3rd round of neighbours music started at 12.45 am and finished at 3.55 am. A new one even for him. My alarm is set for 6, haha. Don't think that's gonna happen.

Nice and quiet now he's decided to go to bed. If it wasn't for the other neighbours I would really be tempted to start blaring music
Old 11th November 2018, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urszula
Attack of the snorer
You haven't hit him with your pillow yet?
Old 13th November 2018, 03:22

I'm wide awake!
Old 16th November 2018, 03:16

I'm struggling to sleep tonight.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:09

I haven't been part of this club for a while but my rubbish sleep seems to have returned.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:48
Banned at own request

Seems I'm not ready for sleep even though I'm very tired.

-----------------------
Dan
-----------------------
Old 26th November 2018, 04:23

Urgh, feel like I've squeezed as much sleep as I'm getting tonight, all 3 hours of it. I start a new therapy group this morning, and have an early multi-bus journey to get there, so I'm in that horrible spot where I think should I squeeze my peepers really hard and try to get another hour or two, or cut my losses and start necking coffee but be a zombie for later? I'm rubbish at functioning without my kip.
Old 26th November 2018, 07:43

^^ Cor x2! Hope you have a good day today, or at least enjoy some exotic catch-up snooze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ what a jam packed scary and positive day! Hope it all goes well for you, Mezza :]. I’m sure it’ll be a goodun and that you’ll make up for the sleep tomorrow night (tonight?).
Thank you kindly, Biccers I managed to get an extra hour and woke up feeling a whole 5% more confident, yus!
Old 9th December 2018, 03:33

... call me Wide Awake Club member #2. Who's got the foam mallet?
Old 9th December 2018, 03:55
Banned at own request

I am awake also. A cold is keeping me awake.

-----------------------
Dan
-----------------------
Old 9th December 2018, 07:21

Mood
Mellow

^ i gave up. tho five hours not bad. now up.

with lavender you can put it on your temples to relieve headache tension - and your pillow - and also your wrists - the idea is the smell produces calmness. i came across something the other week t'internet that suggests putting lavender oil into a waterspray bottle and using it in your lounge or wherever in the home.
Old 10th December 2018, 05:39

Mood
Mellow

Well thanks nbor.. what was that...3 hours or summit? given up and now up. and that's on the high dose. gggrrr***8230;.gggrrr...gggrrr...that's definitely going on the diary sheets this weekend. "having kids" as they've said to me before..is not an excuse..looks to be at least P5 age now...two nights over a weekend...no..no***8230;...no...no...no.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:04

definitely didn't get much shuteye last night, my brain was stuck in shop demonstration mode, flicking between earworms (bloody You Give Love A Bad Name! ok sorry you've got it now) and worst case scenario threat analysis... I'll probably hit another 4pm slump at work and have to mid-air refuel with strong caffeinated beverages.
Old 13th December 2018, 01:07

Skeptical and suggestible as I am, I never actually believed this would work.
But golly gosh, I listened to Blue Gold last night and drifted off...

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/...ory-grown-ups/

Can’t sleep? Millions are using the Calm app to hear a soothing bedtime story for grown-ups

It’s enough to make you lose your sheep. The clock ticking mercilessly on, while sleep remains elusive. The frustration of knowing that the morning – and the time to face a new day – is drawing closer.

It’s no secret that we’ve become a nation of night owls, partly due to the never-ending stream of technology at our fingertips. As many as one in 10 of us could be turning to medication to help us drop off, with sleeping pills costing the NHS £50m a year.

The chief executive of Netflix, Reed Hastings, famously commented last year that the streaming service’s biggest competitor was sleep.
Our devices are stopping us sleeping

Technology is certainly the enemy of a restful night – the blue light emitted by our phone screens is thought to block the production of sleep-inducing melatonin, not to mention the adrenaline and cortisol that constant notifications can send surging into our systems.

But still, many of us rely on technology to help us drop off. From meditation apps to soothing podcasts, our phones could be the source of the perfect lullaby. Or perhaps a bedtime story?

The founders of the Calm app, Britons Michael Acton-Smith and Alex Tew, cottoned on to the benefits of a soothing tale while working in Silicon Valley. They added the first “Sleep Story” to their meditation and relaxation app in 2016 – “The Queen of Calm”, read by meditation instructor Tamara Levitt.

It struck a chord. More stories followed, and now people tune in from all over the world, with 75 million total “listens” since its inception, and up to six million listens a month. Several of the stories are free, with more to be unlocked when you subscribe.

Stories that are soothing but not boring

Calm is now celebrating its 100th Sleep Story, Sacred New Zealand, a travel adventure through stunning scenery and Maori legends, which is read by Game of Thrones star (and mindfulness practitioner) Jerome Flynn. Other famous faces – or voices – include Stephen Fry and Joanna Lumley.

Acton-Smith drew on personal experience to create Sleep Stories. “I would go to bed at 11pm but find myself messing around on Facebook until 3am,” he says.

“Then I’d try listening to podcasts or audiobooks but the interesting ones would keep me awake. So we knew there was a need for this and decided to create stories that are deliberately not boring so much as soothing.”

It’s certainly a challenge – how do you create a story that is designed with the idea that your audience shouldn’t make it to the end? There is an art to creating a Sleep Story, the founders say – it needs to be slow, melodic and soothing, “like a lullaby”.

Bite-sized tales designed for nap-time

Stories vary from fiction – classic and modern – to nature documentaries and bite-sized tales specially designed for nap-time. There are stories for children, too, if you can’t quite face doing the Gruffalo voice for the umpteenth bedtime.

Some of the subject matter is particularly soporific: “Cricket Explained” (narrated by commentator Henry Blofeld) and “Painting with Bob Ross” are sure to lull you in no time.

Others come with more than a little twinkle in the eye – a tale about the Shipping Forecast, a classic sleep aid, and “Drifting Off to Sheep”, about – you guessed it – counting sheep.

Likewise, the narrators are chosen for their soothing tones – Flynn in particular is hailed for his “calm and dreamy voice”. Don’t expect Brian Blessed to feature any time soon.
The holy grail in the age of insomnia

Tew says that the search for sleep aids has been like finding the holy grail in the age of insomnia. “We need to create a transition time, so that rather than stimulating our minds with TV or emails or social media, we instead allow them to unwind,” he says.

“We seldom do this. It’s no wonder that so many of us struggle to calm our racing minds and nod off naturally. Sleep Stories are meant to take you back to a simpler mental state and prepare for a deep rest, just as it did when you were young. There’s no reason we can’t all have a good night’s sleep, without medication.”

Top 10 sleep stories on Calm

1 Blue Gold
2 The Waterfall
3 Close Your Eyes Sleepy Paws
4 The Secret Lagoon
5 The Seventeenth Princess
6 The Velveteen Rabbit
7 Wind in the Willows
8 The Nordland Night Train
9 Wild Ponies of Chincoteague
10 Happy Little Zees with Bob Ross

Old 16th December 2018, 09:15
Banned

hummm hey hoo hmmmm. it's 9.15(am) and I'm up. which is unusual.
Old 16th December 2018, 11:30

It sounded like someone was dragging furniture around at 3am upstairs.... WTF neighbours! Plus lots of loud talking and doors banging. How about a bit of consideration thanks. We're not all night owls.
Old 6th January 2019, 00:05

Wide awake when I should be asleep.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:17

The sleep just isn't happening tonight... at least I'm spared the infuriating dream I had last night, though it did end with me destroying the entire planet out of rage and frustration, which was rather cathartic.
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:45

I'm back at the breakfast club .
Old 23rd January 2019, 04:13

^ Me too, not that i ever left it!

Hope you manage to get a few Zzzz newbs
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:29

my housemate wakes me up at 5am every day and I can't resleep, so today I'm attempting to adjust my sleep pattern to be the same as him. 9pm sleep, 5am awake.