SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th July 2006, 09:06

Thumbs up dire straits appreciation thread

I went shopping with the old dear at the local chavcentre containing Sports World (quick hurry!!! for England kits are marked down from £39.99 to £11.99) and the Brantano shoeshop.
During this time in the shoeshop, the sultans of swing by the mighty Dire Straits came on - a classic from the dadrock era it seemed to remain stuck in my head for the remainder of that day I have plenty of spare time to watch the Biography channel and caught some of the show on Mark Knopfler and his rise to stardom and at their peak they had a two week stint playing Wembley arena and tours in India and Africa, plus the total of over 100 million albums sold.
On the christian o'connell show they had a little piece on their reuniting and epic comeback for next years Glastonbury. This is great dadrock band from an era when size mattered and they will now be entertaining a new younger generation who will swing along to the classics from brothers in arms and money for nothing. Respect the direness of the straits for they are coming back loud and proud.
Old 9th July 2006, 09:55
Banned (by own request)

Default Re: dire straits appreciation thread

'Dadrock' they may be, but Mark Knopfler is a musical genius. That's all I have to say.

Now, where's my slippers?
Old 9th July 2006, 10:51

Of course, its dadrock but in a credible and listenable way which the youth can also jam to. Your slippers are next to the armchair where you always leave them.
Old 9th July 2006, 10:55

Mood
Pensive

I remember when I first heard Dire Straits, it was in the days when they used to show a short at the cinema. I was a cinema usherette. It must have been in 1980 and the short was a Dire Straits film.
I was very impressed and remember thinking 'this is great'.
Old 9th July 2006, 13:26

Mood
Sleepy

I must confess to owning all the Dire Straits albums. Or at least all the ones while they were still going as a band and touring. I remember Dave Lee Travis playing Private Investigations all the time and it reached #2 in the charts. At that time reaching such a high position was seen as an achievement. Records climbed the charts in those days - they didn't enter at #1 and fall down the charts the following week. One of these bands it has become EXTREMELY unfashionable to like. Dido has become the Dire Straits of this generation. Massive album sales - but nobody owns a Dido album.

I think I'll just add a bunch of Dire Straits albums to the Zip Manager at Easynews.

Shit - I'd better hurry up - there's only one hour left before they expire.
Old 9th July 2006, 13:31
d

Old 9th July 2006, 14:09

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime
This post has been edited - the original version was full of praise for Dire Straits saying they were going to spend all their money on an eBay auction just to make sure they could get a ticket for Glastonbury. At least, I thinks that was what was originally there.

That's me got 8 albums lined up for downloading now. I've bought most of the original versions on vinyl so it's not as if I'm stealing (all of them).
Old 9th July 2006, 16:43
d

Nooooo, i was just insulting the band but then decided to remove the comment because i thought it was inappropriate.

Last edited by d; 9th July 2006 at 17:06.
Closed Thread