SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th February 2016, 18:03

Question Supplements for anxiety?

Do you take food or vitamin supplements for your anxiety and how well do they work for you?

Whenever I try to get information about this I encounter lots of people claiming miracle cures or saying it doesn't work.

I have a package of 5-HTP and it's sat in a drawer for 6 months, I don't want to do myself more harm than good. Maybe it's impossible to cut through all the snake oil nonsense and I will just have to try it.
Old 15th February 2016, 18:09

Default Re: Supplements for anxiety?

magnesium was like ssris but it quickly wore off and it's not natural happiness
I would say supplements were unhelpful
Old 15th February 2016, 20:28

A good place to check out for this would be the nootropics page on Reddit. Some very knowledgeable people on there, but while some people said that the supplements they talk about are great for their anxiety, nothing I've tried has really worked for me (such as ashwagandha and phenibut). Instead, I've found supplements that help with wakefulness, motivation and focus.

Last edited by adlong; 15th February 2016 at 20:29. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th February 2016, 23:32

Mood
Lurking

I tried those Bach Rescue Remedies a while ago from the local health food shop. I think the one i tried was called White Chestnut (maybe not, i'll double check my medicine box) but it had no effect at all sadly. I wonder if they do work on some people?
Old 16th February 2016, 15:52

Try XanaX its a great supplement but you can only take it occasionally as a reminder of what the world feels like without anxiety. Get hooked n you're f***ed.
Old 17th September 2017, 12:12

I just bought ashwagandha and rhodiola and I'm looking forward to my upcoming transformation into the life of the party.
Old 17th September 2017, 19:01

Anyone here tried Noopept btw?
Old 14th October 2017, 12:01
Banned at own request

I find I return to Rhodiola Rosea quite often. It seems to have a variety of properties at a variety of doses. The starting dose is 150-250mg once per day. If that goes well you can up it to twice per day, each half an hour before meals (i.e. breakfast and lunch). Go no higher than 400-600 mg, as that's the dose used in studies. Worth trying for those who haven't.

Within an hour of taking it I can feel it's slashed any stress or situational anxiety. I don't take it every day, although I did try that a couple of years ago and after 10 days it felt like an anti-depressant, with mood & confidence effects.

I do find some jitters with it, but this is only if you take it with stimulants. To counter this I've been pairing it with Ashwagandha lately, and it seems a viable combination. Maybe I'll cycle them by taking them mon-fri and then have the weekend off.

Also, L-Lysine is a cheap and safe amino acid you can get which does lift mood slightly and lower anxiety slightly. I always like to have some in the cupboard.

I haven't tried GABA or any of the substances that work in that area (apart from Ashwagandha), but L-Glutamine is another amino acid that you can get which crosses the blood brain barrier and can be turned into glutamate/gaba as needed by the system. Can even be a bit sedating, I find.
Old 14th October 2017, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Dog
I find I return to Rhodiola Rosea quite often. It seems to have a variety of properties at a variety of doses. The starting dose is 150-250mg once per day. If that goes well you can up it to twice per day, each half an hour before meals (i.e. breakfast and lunch). Go no higher than 400-600 mg, as that's the dose used in studies. Worth trying for those who haven't.

Within an hour of taking it I can feel it's slashed any stress or situational anxiety. I don't take it every day, although I did try that a couple of years ago and after 10 days it felt like an anti-depressant, with mood & confidence effects.

I do find some jitters with it, but this is only if you take it with stimulants. To counter this I've been pairing it with Ashwagandha lately, and it seems a viable combination. Maybe I'll cycle them by taking them mon-fri and then have the weekend off.

Also, L-Lysine is a cheap and safe amino acid you can get which does lift mood slightly and lower anxiety slightly. I always like to have some in the cupboard.

I haven't tried GABA or any of the substances that work in that area (apart from Ashwagandha), but L-Glutamine is another amino acid that you can get which crosses the blood brain barrier and can be turned into glutamate/gaba as needed by the system. Can even be a bit sedating, I find.
Hi Lone Dog
Does L-Lysine work instantly as and when needed or should be taken daily to build up in the system?
Old 14th October 2017, 14:14
Banned at own request

@lynella:
Hello. Definitely as needed. I've often taken a couple of 1g lysine tablets before going out to do my shopping.