SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th September 2010, 17:02

Mood
Fine

Post Jobseekers...

On tuesday I have an interview to see if I can get Jobseekers allowance because after months of searching I still don't have a job.

Obviously I'm worried about it but im more concerned with what to say and what it'll mean for me.

I don't want a job on mimimum wage, I want above if possible as I need to save for a car of my own. Do I say that or will I need to go for the job they find me whether it's min wage or not?

I have had a job in the past which was waitering, so are they most likely to look for the same thing? I would do it but I would like to do something else as well. I don't want to say I'll do anything as I don't want to end up in a really dead end job.

Also how much money do you actually get from them?

Thanks
Old 9th September 2010, 17:07

Default Re: Jobseekers...

Based on my own experience, they won't force to you apply to specific jobs, only suggest jobs to you and tell you that you should apply to them (if that makes sense) Basically, they usually expect you to do most of the searching and all the applying by yourself and you only have to show them 6-8 jobs for every 2 weeks (of which you don't actually have to have applied for any as long as you can just make it look like you have )

You can tell them what sort of job you are interested in looking for, they will normally make you suggest one main thing and then a couple of alternatives!

They should give you about £65 per week!
Old 9th September 2010, 17:08
Banned

you are under 25 iirc so you would get around 50 pounds a week,

yes they will probably try and force you into minimum wage jobs, especially if all you've had before was waitering jobs. i hope you have some decent qualifications, then you may be able to convince them not to make you apply
Old 9th September 2010, 17:11

Sorry! Forgot about the age-difference thing
Old 9th September 2010, 17:18
Banned

Mood
Alienated

Good luck and i think they tend to steer people towards the jobs they're qualified for.

*shudders at the thought of working*
Old 9th September 2010, 18:18

Mood
Dead

It's funny that a thread about jobseekers has turned up, because I'm off to the job centre to enquire tomorrow.

I was made redundant in July and I've been putting off going there, but my bank balance is declining so I must sign on.

@VeryQuietGuy.

You mean for months you've been unemployed but not claiming job seekers allowance? The idea is to be on job seekers while you look for a job. Also it's important to get your NI paid so signing on is a good idea. Oh and there is no seeing about it, you're entitled to it, mate. They can't really refuse you.
Old 9th September 2010, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Beggars can't be choosers. If you want a car, then why should the taxpayer fund it? It's attitudes like yours that feed ammunition to the Daily Mail, Talksport etc. etc.

If you want the luxuries of life, get a job like everyone else. Can't get a well paid job? Life isn't fair.
I tend to agree, it really annoys me people who think they are to good to work for minimum wage, yes it is pants but why should I fund your car when I can't afford one myself on min wage? Sorry if that sounds harsh but life is harsh.
Old 9th September 2010, 19:27

Mood
Dramaqueen

"Get a job". My God...
Everyone can disagree with me but meh. "Get a job" is bloody patronizing
Old 9th September 2010, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenAway
"Get a job". My God...
Everyone can disagree with me but meh. "Get a job" is bloody patronizing
Jobs are not easy come by I agree, but turning your nose up as its min wage doesn't help any.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:10

Mood
Creative

I'm a fully qualified Electronics engineer, I could not always get work in that so I worked Retail, catering, bar jobs collecting glasses, farm work anything rather than dole. Don't be a job snob, anythings better than being on benefits
Old 9th September 2010, 20:14

Don't worry about the interview, had mine two weeks ago, they basically just take your details, no forcing into anything, they just want an idea of what kind of work you want to find.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:56

Mood
Thinking

I'm also of to the job centre tomorrow to find more about jobseekers allowance, I really need the money to help get me to town and then to another town. Searching for a job is so hard, but the only reason why I am getting Jobseekers allowance is because my dad stops paying for me (which is rather selfish) and my mum will also struggle with helping me money wise. So I'll be on jobseekers allowance until I get a job.

But I do agree with what some people have said in here... A car should be the last of you worries. Use the money to travel around and find a job. When I get my money from jobseekers I'll be using the money to pay for optician oppointments, medication, glasses to correct my vision and supplements. That is all I'll be able to afford. I'd love to think I can use that money on new clothes and stuff, but I probabaly won't afford to be able to do that.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
Jobs are not easy come by I agree, but turning your nose up as its min wage doesn't help any.

i wouldn't work for minimum wage either..

it's slave labour imo. if i was younger maybe, but at age 25 i'll be dammed if i'm going to work a 40 hour week for that amount.

the absolute minimum i'd consider is 7 an hour
Old 9th September 2010, 22:01

Mood
Dreaming

I started a new job today. It's not minimum wage though. It's 17p above .

Good luck with your job hunting VQG.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:12

Mood
Fine

Once again one of my threads has been read the wrong way and I have been made out to be something im not.

None of you know the reason that I need a car of my own, it's becoming inconveniant to keep on sharing with my dad and I need one to help the family out especially my grandparents who don't drive and are ill.

I didn't say that I want to use the money I get from Jobseekers to fund a car, I would never do that and I'm not saying I'm to good to work for minimum wage.

Also if you had read it properly you would have seen I said "if possible" to work above minimum wage meaning if I was offered a job at minimum wage I would be grateful for it but would have preferred something a little better.

The money I earn from my job when I get one is what will fund a car.

I honestly think I should stop posting on here.

However a thank you goes out to those that gave some really good tips and what to expect.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:15

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryQuietGuy
Once again one of my threads has been read the wrong way and I have been made out to be something im not.

None of you know the reason that I need a car of my own, it's becoming inconveniant to keep on sharing with my dad and I need one to help the family out especially my grandparents who don't drive and are ill.

I didn't say that I want to use the money I get from Jobseekers to fund a car, I would never do that and I'm not saying I'm to good to work for minimum wage.

Also if you had read it properly you would have seen I said "if possible" to work above minimum wage meaning if I was offered a job at minimum wage I would be grateful for it but would have preferred something a little better.

The money I earn from my job when I get one is what will fund a car.

I honestly think I should stop posting on here.

However a thank you goes out to those that gave some really good tips and what to expect.
NOOOO!! xD

Don't leave. No one should have judged you from that comment you made about using the money to get a car.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:16

Mood
Fine

Post Re: Jobseekers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Beggars can't be choosers. If you want a car, then why should the taxpayer fund it? It's attitudes like yours that feed ammunition to the Daily Mail, Talksport etc. etc.

If you want the luxuries of life, get a job like everyone else. Can't get a well paid job? Life isn't fair.
I don't want the taxpayer to fund it.

I need money for essentials right now which will come from jobseekers and when I get a job the money I earn will fund a car.

Also I don't have an attitude.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:22

veryquietguy - if I, who can sometimes read things wrong, read what you were saying correctly, I don't quite know where other people got some of the stuff they said to you from.

Some people have very messed up attitudes. Pay no attention to these.

Good luck at the job centre, hope you find something you want
Old 9th September 2010, 22:24

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
veryquietguy - if I, who can sometimes read things wrong, read what you were saying correctly, I don't quite know where other people got some of the stuff they said to you from.

Some people have very messed up attitudes. Pay no attention to these.

Good luck at the job centre, hope you find something you want
Thank You
Old 9th September 2010, 22:27

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
I tend to agree, it really annoys me people who think they are to good to work for minimum wage, yes it is pants but why should I fund your car when I can't afford one myself on min wage? Sorry if that sounds harsh but life is harsh.
I'm not asking you to fund a car.

I never once said I would use the jobseekers money to fund a car.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:54

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
i wouldn't work for minimum wage either..

it's slave labour imo. if i was younger maybe, but at age 25 i'll be dammed if i'm going to work a 40 hour week for that amount.

the absolute minimum i'd consider is 7 an hour
Lol, I'm on less then £7 per hour at Tesco, think it's about £6.81.
Taking into consideration I do sundays, which is time and a half, it's not so bad.

However seeing as 8 years ago I was working for a medical company, and getting £6.75 per hour plus £25 a week shift bonous, and doing no weekend work, I've come down a bit. And it was a much easier job too.

Ironically people are often expected to work much harder in the lower paid jobs. At Tesco they expect you to run about like a blue arsed fly all day. I've often worked through lunch hours for no extra pay rather then get grief because I haven't managed to get through the 16 odd cages of delivery or whatever.
Then you get alot of people in much higher paid office jobs who spend about a third of their 'working' day browsing the net LOL.

And yeah, taxpayers do get irrate about people not wanting to do low paid work, which is understandable to an extent, but it makes me laugh that often the one's who get the most worked up about it (the classic Sun reading types) are usually in favour of spending obscene amounts of taxpayers money on invading other people's countries or on nuclear weapons that realistically can never be used (hopefully).
Old 10th September 2010, 12:27

I get contribution based jobseekers allowance, which I think lasts for 6 months. They have never put any presure on me to apply for any particular job. As long as I demonstrate that I am seeking employment they are happy.

After 6 months I think I would move onto Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, whether more pressure is applied to those on Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, I don't know and hopefully will not have to find out!

Edit: In fact, they have never even suggested a job for me to apply for.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:00

Mood
Lurking

Hi VeryQuietGuy

What will happen is that you will have an interview with an advisor, and you will create a document known as a 'Jobseeker's Agreement' with them. This will list three different job roles that you will be prepared to apply for and work in, and will be ones that you choose.

You will then be expected to search for and apply for jobs that fit those listed on your Jobseeker's Agreement, although there is nothing to stop you from applying for roles that are not included on it. The Jobseeker's Agreement will also list actions that you are prepared to take to look for work e.g. looking in the local newspaper, on the Internet etc.

Also, Jobcentre Plus will require you to take a minimum of three steps a week to find work, and to write these down in a diary which you will show to an advisor when you sign on. These steps are wide-ranging e.g. looking on the Internet, sending CV's out, attending interviews, calling employers etc.

The staff at Jobcentre Plus will be in a position to give you vacancies to apply for, but they can only give you firstly, vacancies listed with Jobcentre Plus, and secondly, vacancies that fit your Jobseeker's Agreement. I am not sure whether it will be mandatory for you to apply for them - it is a good idea to ask an advisor for clarification if you are unsure.

If you are on Jobseeker's Allowance for 13 weeks, you may be required to attend a longer interview with an advisor, where you may be asked to provide evidence of your efforts to find work, and you will discuss your Job seeking in more detail. After one year, if you are still on Jobseeker's Allowance (hopefully you won't be), you will be referred to a private organisation, where you will attend more appointments but still continue to sign on at your local Jobcentre Plus. But, as I said, hopefully you will have found a job by then.

I have to say that all of the staff at my local Jobcentre Plus have been friendly and helpful when I have had to go in.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your job search.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:23

Mood
Lurking

I would also like to add that there are two types of Jobseeker's Allownce: Income based and Contribution based.

Contribution based Jobseeker's Allowance is a benefit that you get if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions. Also, it does not matter how much money you have in savings in order to get it - you could be a billionaire and still qualify. However, this only lasts for six months and after this time you would go straight onto Income based Jobseeker's Allowance.

The rates of Jobseeker's Allowance per week are as follows:

£51.85 - 16-24 years old

£65.45 - Aged 25 or over

Income based Jobseeker's Allowance does, however, depend on how much you have in savings. If you have £6,000 or less in savings, you will get the full rate for your age group. If you have more than £6,000 in savings but less than £16,000, you will get a reduced rate. Usually, you lose £1 per week for every £250 that you have over £6,000. If you have more than £16,000 in savings, you won't get anything, but will still receive National Insurance Credits. Moreover, Jobseeker's Allowance rates are affected by any part-time work under 16 hours a week that you do.

Once again, hope this helps.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex76
Lol, I'm on less then £7 per hour at Tesco, think it's about £6.81.
Taking into consideration I do sundays, which is time and a half, it's not so bad.

However seeing as 8 years ago I was working for a medical company, and getting £6.75 per hour plus £25 a week shift bonous, and doing no weekend work, I've come down a bit. And it was a much easier job too.

Ironically people are often expected to work much harder in the lower paid jobs. At Tesco they expect you to run about like a blue arsed fly all day. I've often worked through lunch hours for no extra pay rather then get grief because I haven't managed to get through the 16 odd cages of delivery or whatever.
Then you get alot of people in much higher paid office jobs who spend about a third of their 'working' day browsing the net LOL.

And yeah, taxpayers do get irrate about people not wanting to do low paid work, which is understandable to an extent, but it makes me laugh that often the one's who get the most worked up about it (the classic Sun reading types) are usually in favour of spending obscene amounts of taxpayers money on invading other people's countries or on nuclear weapons that realistically can never be used (hopefully).

£6.81?

i last heard the place where i got made redundant from (Wilkinsons) are paying £6.30. i would possibly work at a place like that again part time for around that money as it has a fairly pleasant work atmosphere and the work isn't too stressful ...etc

but if supermarkets can afford to pay that much above minimum wage then why can't other jobs like office jobs? the jobcentre sometimes try to push me to apply for minimum wage office jobs and an office job is a more skilled job than working in a supermarket so why should i accept the job and get paid less than a supermarket would pay me?

to work in an another office job i would not consider it for less than 7 pound an hour because i quite dislike it, a part time job in a supermarket i would consider 6 pound something because the job isn't so bad...

and you are right about them coming down hard on you. my supervisor always moaned at me because i was picking stock too slow (i had to pick stock from the warehouse to go to the shop floor according to what was needed when i scanned them with the RF gun) he had ridiculous targets that were nearly impossible to meet on how much stock needed to picked per minute and me and the other 2 people who worked there were called and received warnings over it several times, there was one point where i thought they would sack me, but if they sacked me they would have to sack the other guy as well because he picked slower than me.

in the end after he realized we were never going to meet his targets he stopped hounding us so hard. i used to take advantage when he was not in though, like taking 1 hour breaks instead of 15 minutes hehe..
Old 10th September 2010, 17:06

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott85
I would also like to add that there are two types of Jobseeker's Allownce: Income based and Contribution based.

Contribution based Jobseeker's Allowance is a benefit that you get if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions. Also, it does not matter how much money you have in savings in order to get it - you could be a billionaire and still qualify. However, this only lasts for six months and after this time you would go straight onto Income based Jobseeker's Allowance.

The rates of Jobseeker's Allowance per week are as follows:

£51.85 - 16-24 years old

£65.45 - Aged 25 or over

Income based Jobseeker's Allowance does, however, depend on how much you have in savings. If you have £6,000 or less in savings, you will get the full rate for your age group. If you have more than £6,000 in savings but less than £16,000, you will get a reduced rate. Usually, you lose £1 per week for every £250 that you have over £6,000. If you have more than £16,000 in savings, you won't get anything, but will still receive National Insurance Credits. Moreover, Jobseeker's Allowance rates are affected by any part-time work under 16 hours a week that you do.

Once again, hope this helps.
Thanks a lot!

I appreciete that you went to all that trouble getting that info for me.

I'll be getting £51.85.
Old 16th September 2010, 17:25

Mood
Dead

Been on the phone to the job centre this afternoon for 40 minutes

I went this morning and they simply gave me a leaflet with various phone numbers on. I called them and now I've got an interview tomorrow afternoon. While I was down there I couldn't help but notice the number of chav scum. All I got all the way there were strange looks off people, and while in the job centre, even though it was for 2 minutes, it seemed like an eternity. It was as though time stopped so I could be ridiculed by God himself.

£65 a week! Happy days NOT!!
Old 16th September 2010, 18:34

Mood
Chatty

Cool Re: Jobseekers...

You don't mince your words do you? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Been on the phone to the job centre this afternoon for 40 minutes

While I was down there I couldn't help but notice the number of chav scum.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:38

I signed on for jobseeker's two weeks ago. Can't say I'm that impressed with the job centre so far. I went all the way up there. It takes 30 mins to get there from my home by car if I get a lift, or £8.60 for a return ticket on the bus. I get there just to be given a card with a phone number on. I phone them up, 30 min phone call taking details and ask me to go for interview 2 days later. Another 30 min trip up there, they take some details, give that jobsearch form thing and send me on my way. Do they actually do anything to help you in your search, or just ask you to continually prove that you're actively looking for work so you can get the benefit? And what if you're a postal customer? What does that mean? Will they call me?
Old 16th September 2010, 21:48

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay9
I signed on for jobseeker's two weeks ago. Can't say I'm that impressed with the job centre so far. I went all the way up there. It takes 30 mins to get there from my home by car if I get a lift, or £8.60 for a return ticket on the bus. I get there just to be given a card with a phone number on. I phone them up, 30 min phone call taking details and ask me to go for interview 2 days later. Another 30 min trip up there, they take some details, give that jobsearch form thing and send me on my way. Do they actually do anything to help you in your search, or just ask you to continually prove that you're actively looking for work so you can get the benefit? And what if you're a postal customer? What does that mean? Will they call me?
Same with me, I had to drive 20 miniutes to get there, waste time going around in circles trying to get parked only to be given a yellow card with a number to phone. Did the same as you, phone up and get this really cheeky operator who spends an hour interogating me and gives me an interview.

The guy who interviewed me was nice enough but I don't think they do help in your search, although he booked me on to a course in Stirling which aims at getting young people into work so that was alright.

I don't know about the postal cutomers.
Closed Thread