SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2018, 22:05

Exclamation Don't know if this is relevant but I'm very proud

Hello everyone,

Anyone who remembers me will know that I'm one for posting random stuff - and today I just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

I was here a couple of months ago when I was going through a very difficult time with SA... but I took a break a while ago due to being the absolute baby of this site haha!

Since I took the break, I have been taking baby steps... and yesterday was one of them.

One of my main issues is public transport, and it was one of the problems I posted about during the time I was here regularly. I, at the time, couldn't bring myself to go on it at all because of anxiety. Up until yesterday, that was still true. I hadn't been on a bus (apart from private ones) since September and yesterday I finally felt able to change that. Although I was with people, I feel it is a big step as I simply hadn't done it at all.

I figured I must be getting there surely... so thought I'd post it here (don't know if this it the right place or not).

I hope you are all doing ok, and if you're not that you're getting the help and support you need!!
Old 1st January 2018, 22:11

Default Re: Don't know if this is relevant but I'm very proud

Goodness... just realised the baby steps pun - sorry!!
Old 1st January 2018, 22:43

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanotherone02
Hello everyone,

Anyone who remembers me will know that I'm one for posting random stuff - and today I just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

I was here a couple of months ago when I was going through a very difficult time with SA... but I took a break a while ago due to being the absolute baby of this site haha!

Since I took the break, I have been taking baby steps... and yesterday was one of them.

One of my main issues is public transport, and it was one of the problems I posted about during the time I was here regularly. I, at the time, couldn't bring myself to go on it at all because of anxiety. Up until yesterday, that was still true. I hadn't been on a bus (apart from private ones) since September and yesterday I finally felt able to change that. Although I was with people, I feel it is a big step as I simply hadn't done it at all.

I figured I must be getting there surely... so thought I'd post it here (don't know if this it the right place or not).

I hope you are all doing ok, and if you're not that you're getting the help and support you need!!
Congratulations! That is a significant accomplishment!

I've often felt anxious about public transport as I would feel "trapped" when on a bus or train, especially if there was no restroom. I've also felt panicky on airplanes. I'm still somewhat anxious and therefore prefer to drive when it's feasable to do so.
Old 1st January 2018, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover
Congratulations! That is a significant accomplishment!

I've often felt anxious about public transport as I would feel "trapped" when on a bus or train, especially if there was no restroom. I've also felt panicky on airplanes. I'm still somewhat anxious and therefore prefer to drive when it's feasable to do so.
Aww thank you.

I can't drive, and thus have to get buses and trains everywhere if no one can or will take me. I've spent the past few months constantly asking people for lifts or not going at all. Hence I'm so proud of such a small thing.
Old 2nd January 2018, 00:05

Mood
Relaxed

Well done

I need to work on this myself, I can be anywhere locked in with people, so public transport is not a possibility currently.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:33

Mood
Fine

Nice one

I didn't get on a bus on my own until I was 29 I only learnt to drive the end of last year Do you get driving lessons at school/college? I remember having the opportunity, go for it if you can!
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:38

You're making great progress, I'm not overly keen on public transport, I must try and challenge myself to use the bus/trains now and then.
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
Well done

I need to work on this myself, I can be anywhere locked in with people, so public transport is not a possibility currently.
Does it make you anxious?
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:39

Mood
Relaxed

Yes, it makes me want to throw up.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:55

Thank you everyone! I don't think I can face going on my own yet, and I don't think that will happen very soon, but hey.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity
Nice one

I didn't get on a bus on my own until I was 29 I only learnt to drive the end of last year Do you get driving lessons at school/college? I remember having the opportunity, go for it if you can!
I'm not sure, I don't think they do that but I may be wrong. I think even if they did they'd be for over 16s probably (I've just turned 15).
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:26

Well done! Try to keep pushing yourself so that the new confidence doesn't wear off. Ideally, using public transport needs to become such a habit that you don't think twice about it.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelwyn
Well done! Try to keep pushing yourself so that the new confidence doesn't wear off. Ideally, using public transport needs to become such a habit that you don't think twice about it.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to aim for.
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:54

I hadn't been on public transport alone until I was 16. The first time I got a train on my own I was 26 and I was so nervous. I tend to be a much stronger person now, so I can get over the first time anxiety and then every time you do something with nothing going wrong it becomes easier.
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia
I hadn't been on public transport alone until I was 16. The first time I got a train on my own I was 26 and I was so nervous. I tend to be a much stronger person now, so I can get over the first time anxiety and then every time you do something with nothing going wrong it becomes easier.
I was 13 or 14 when I went on a bus alone... used to do it loads and then stuff went wrong and I just couldn't for absolutely ages. I haven't done trains yet at all for similar reasons.

Yeah, I get what you mean about it getting easier if nothing goes wrong. Nothing went wrong on Saturday... I mean I still have the same fears but not quite in the same way if you know what I mean.
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:12

Hi notanotherone02. I just joined the forum (after a few weeks of browsing) specifically to say ***8220;well done***8221; to you Guessing we can all relate to how hard it can be sometimes to go outside your comfort zone so big kudos to you for achieving that.
Old 2nd January 2018, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewyear
Hi notanotherone02. I just joined the forum (after a few weeks of browsing) specifically to say “well done” to you Guessing we can all relate to how hard it can be sometimes to go outside your comfort zone so big kudos to you for achieving that.
Aww that's so sweet of you joining to say that, thank you so so much!!
Old 2nd January 2018, 19:18

That***8217;s an amazing achievement you should be very proud. Everyone of us has different anxieties. Any achievement big or small is worth shouting about.
Old 2nd January 2018, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya
That’s an amazing achievement you should be very proud. Everyone of us has different anxieties. Any achievement big or small is worth shouting about.
Thank you!!

The only real place I can shout about these achievements is online (people in real life don't really get it - at least the people I know anyway lol). So I'm glad I found here.
Old 2nd January 2018, 21:13

Mood
Balanced

Well done, I am all for pushing oneself gently out of ones comfort zone and not just surrendering to this irritating condition.
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
Well done, I am all for pushing oneself gently out of ones comfort zone and not just surrendering to this irritating condition.
Thank you ***128522;