Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd December 2009, 01:19

Mood
Happy

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

What a great thread. Congratulations everyone. How encouraging. Yesterday I completed my first day of training to be a volunteer. It went well. I return today. During the day I've arranged to join a Yoga group. Tonight I'm going out for a meal with 14 of the staff and volunteers. Wow ! Wish me good fortune that this progress will continue !
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:10

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbare
*gulp*. i've found out today that me and my team have made it through to the semi finals of the universities business competition i posted about before. i'm terrified and delighted: i really *don't* expect us to progress much further than this (and tbh i'd have massive ethical misgivings if we did) - but it's given me cause for quite a big rethink about how much i have allowed this 'SA' thing to hold me back in the past, and how much can potentially be achieved if you are prepared to change your thinking patterns even slightly.

i really want to say a massive thank you to anyone on SAUK who's ever given me any form of encouragement and support. and to let you know it's made a difference. tonight i am thinking perhaps with enough bloody-minded perseverance there really might be a light at the end of the tunnel. keep on keeping on people. x
That seems like it should go in a massive achievements thread! Well done!!!!!!!

And good for you too, Peterjohn. You are really moving forward with your life.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:36

Mood
Happy

thanks Teal - spot on with your " MASSIVE " COMMENT !!!
Old 11th December 2009, 13:05

Mood
Dramaqueen

OK - this is really tiny:

Elsewhere on the interweb someone has come down really heavily on me for my use of the English language (incidentally, one of the lovely things about sauk is that people focus on the content of what someone is saying rather than the way they say it)

Normally I'd be really upset (and I was, a bit) then angry (confess to a smidgeon of anger) and then I'd want to post something equally cutting in reply and I'd waste energy and time getting it just right and feel really negative about going back there.

But instead, I have assumed that she is really just showing off to herself, she doesn't know me and I don't know her. Her opinion of me is not relevant to my life, and if she really does get her kicks out of being grammatically superior to other people, then I am prepared to be generous and allow her this one for free Who knows? IRL we might even like each other.

If I want to be forgiven and forgive myself for my own social mistakes, I have to forgive others for theirs. I now feel quite warmly towards her for being as inept as I am, whereas in the past I would have felt she hated me.

It's all in the interpretation.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:27

^ I don't know why anyone would criticize you for your use of the English language. Your posts always strike me as well written and erudite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal
But instead, I have assumed that she is really just showing off to herself, she doesn't know me and I don't know her. Her opinion of me is not relevant to my life, and if she really does get her kicks out of being grammatically superior to other people, then I am prepared to be generous and allow her this one for free Who knows? IRL we might even like each other.
Most admirable
Old 11th December 2009, 14:11

Mood
Dramaqueen

Oooo I've never been called 'erudite' before! Thank you!

(I just used the wrong word by mistake as I wasn't really concentrating, as everyone does sometimes. You know, 'disinterested' when it should be 'uninterested', that kind of thing. Nothing controversial)
Old 11th December 2009, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal
(I just used the wrong word by mistake as I wasn't really concentrating, as everyone does sometimes. You know, 'disinterested' when it should be 'uninterested', that kind of thing. Nothing controversial)
In that case she's just a twit
Old 17th January 2010, 00:42

Mood
Thinking

Had a great day on friday, I was so relaxed and really felt like I was being myself around other people that aren't my family for once.

I spoke louder and alot more often than usual, joined in with some friendly banter and I really tried to speak to the girl I like :P I normally hesitate and get overwhelmed with nerves, then give up when I try to speak to her. But I've been mastering the art of being Spontaneous! I don't think, I just blurt it out as soon as the words I want to say come into my head, I would normally start thinking "should I say it now or wait a few moments? I need to make sure I don't stutter!" but I managed to ask her a question really confidently and made some other comments to her when ever the opportunity arose.

She's still really nervous and shy around me and could hardly answer my question(We're usually on par in terms of shyness.), poor girl was probably suprised and thinking "Woah, howcome he's suddenly so confident, he usually never speaks to me!" But I'm gonna continue to try and speak to her, hopefully eventually she'll be alot more relaxed around me. Don't care if I end up getting rejected, I'm just happy that I'm actually trying and I'd be more than happy being just her friend anyway.
Old 17th January 2010, 13:17

Mood
Sad

I don't have many achievements in life so I have to take what I can get. It has been 1 week since I self-harmed. The way I feel at the moment and the stressful thoughts of going to work tomorrow are probably going to end this sober spell pretty soon but at least I managed a week. I know it probably doesn't sound that much but I have hundreds of suicidal and self-harming thoughts every day so it has been quite hard.
Old 17th January 2010, 21:43

Mood
Dreaming

Talking Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

I feel so good right now not completly but I am happy. My mom normally gets me mad and angry with her attutide and I was like Im not going to let her tone get my anxiety down. She was get at me about how she was angry with my dad and I instead of getting angry with her I used my calm voice (which is a hard thing for me to do when she uses that angry tone) and said I dont think it is a good idea that I go out with you. I dont want your tone getting me down in my moods and giving me an anxiety attack. I said it calmly with a lot of control. It felt so good to not lash out with her when she does with me. Then it just gets me in a bad mood. Then she makes my anxiety go up. but I did self talking to myself because I heard them fighting and that helped me to not get angry with her. I feel so proud of myself. I know it might not be a big thing to others but it is to me because she gets me angry normally so easily. I think this is a new way to overcome my issues or at least some of them.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:31

Mood
Happy

I completed my yoga set this evening, grappled with and dealt with a difficult problem in a much more mature way, visited a friend in the mental illness hospital.....and I'm leaving home at 4.45 tomorrow morning to walk to prayer hour at 7, meeting up with a friend who is currently isolating to accompany him to prayer hour.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:59

Mood
Mellow

Well done everyone, I love this thread because it's so uplifting.

Peterjohn, that's a lot of achievements for one day

poemsbyme3: not getting angry shows a huge amount of strength - hope it continues.

After a lull in my jobhunting due to feeling very down, I made 5 phone calls to universities and colleges on Tuesday, and sent off my CV the next day. Now I feel motivated again.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:10

WOW I just made a phone call that could've been potentially very negative. I had to spend 1 hour summoning up the courage before picking up the phone. And it went ok. I still feel like blacking out from the stress of it all.

KICK ASS!
Old 21st January 2010, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSI

After a lull in my jobhunting due to feeling very down, I made 5 phone calls to universities and colleges on Tuesday, and sent off my CV the next day. Now I feel motivated again.
I know how it feels to be unmotivated with zero confidence about doing the calls, etc but doesn't it feel great once you do it

I had to go to a printers this afternoon to get something printed out after my printer at home didn't want to play ball. I ended up asking if he ever needed any graphic design work done and it turned out he doesn't have a lot of time to do it himself, sounded rather interested in using me as a freelancer if anything came up - something that I so want but as you can imagine is pretty hard getting work in with this sa thing going on
Old 21st January 2010, 22:18

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabzz
I know how it feels to be unmotivated with zero confidence about doing the calls, etc but doesn't it feel great once you do it

I had to go to a printers this afternoon to get something printed out after my printer at home didn't want to play ball. I ended up asking if he ever needed any graphic design work done and it turned out he doesn't have a lot of time to do it himself, sounded rather interested in using me as a freelancer if anything came up - something that I so want but as you can imagine is pretty hard getting work in with this sa thing going on
Wishing you good fortune with that
Old 25th January 2010, 19:15

Answered the phone when it rang instead of just leaving it for someone else! turned out to be a sales call with one of those annoying recorded messages but the fact that I answered the phone still stands! Also I just answered the door to a house hunter and showed him round (i'm at uni and its that time of year when everyone's looking for a house for next year and people just wander the streets and knock on random houses doors and ask to look around) lol I did a little victory dance when the guy had left because I was so proud of myself
Old 25th January 2010, 21:28

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSI
Well done everyone, I love this thread because it's so uplifting.

Peterjohn, that's a lot of achievements for one day

poemsbyme3: not getting angry shows a huge amount of strength - hope it continues.

Thank you. Yes I have been going up and down with my anxiety depression anger moods lately it feels like a roller coaster. I have been trying very hard to control these negative thoughts and bad moods. It feels like once I get into it then it is harder to get out of this dark hole or dark tunnel is what it feels like. Today I got very bad anxiety and depression with anger but I just let the emotions come out after I was trying to block them for so long then wrote out a poem called I still am human and then when that didn't completely help I went to go lay down on my bed and do my meditation CD that I have been feeling that I needed to do for so long like for almost a week now and it helped make me feel better. Im proud of doing the CD because I haven't done the whole CD in one day with almost perfect attention because I have moments of daydreaming but I let my thoughts go and the last one was positive thinking and I haven't done that one till today in a long time and it was very rewarding.

SSI-- you did a very good achievement I know how hard it is for me just to make one business phone call. I break down or stutter or say umm or i dont know. Then I get really quite. You did a very good job well done...
Old 26th January 2010, 07:40

Mood
Happy

For a long time I never answered my phone. just let it go to the message service. However I made a vow to never not answer the phone again, which so far I've stuck to. Feels like me ruling the fear rather than the other way round.
I love these posts and I'd like to congratulate everyone on their successes and wish you all continuing and great success.
How about forming the Mutual Admiration Society with a rule that we were only allowed to uplift each other, for together we are strong !!!!
Old 26th January 2010, 17:43

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjohn
For a long time I never answered my phone. just let it go to the message service. However I made a vow to never not answer the phone again, which so far I've stuck to. Feels like me ruling the fear rather than the other way round.
I love these posts and I'd like to congratulate everyone on their successes and wish you all continuing and great success.
How about forming the Mutual Admiration Society with a rule that we were only allowed to uplift each other, for together we are strong !!!!
Thats great news. I have a hard time answering the phone I get anxiety before, during and sometimes afterwords. I really need to work on that myself because I normally just answer if it is my parents that call if not I let my parents answer the phone or I let it go to voice mail. Unless I know it is for me like a doctor I hesitate to pick it up because of my anxiety of what to say, how to say it, how do I sound on the phone etc. I become very self conscious. So well done on your achievement. I like your idea of the Mutual Admiration Society that is a good idea to stat strong together.
Old 27th January 2010, 03:33

Mood
Dreaming

What I achieved today. I achieved working hard on my anxiety report for my online health class. I worked on it in the morning then I had to get ready to go to my doctor appointment then I came home and I worked on it some more. Im actually on my 2nd rough draft now and I just started it this morning. lol I normally procrastinate on reports because I find it so hard to start writing it down but I did it. I belted down yay. Also yesterday I talked to my dad about my depressing sucide thoughts and he didnt seem concerned or mad because he seemed so happy that all my health problems are related to anxiety. So that made me feel very relived and happy yesterday. So all in all I had some good moments here and there this week.
Old 27th January 2010, 05:49

Mood
Happy

Well done on your very positive day.....keep persevering cos your going to overcome.
Best wishes and God bless
Peter
Old 4th February 2010, 15:01

Mood
Thinking

Smile Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Yesterday I rang up a company to say I wanted to cancel my member ship, after putting it off for over a month!
Old 4th February 2010, 15:04

^
Old 5th February 2010, 18:40
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Had a cracking week at work- I lead the team meeting yesterday and I volunteered for it as well.
Old 7th February 2010, 01:11

Mood
Thinking

Spoke to the girl I like in college, then when I got home I was pleased to find she added me on facebook she sent me quite alot of messages and we chatted on facebook chat for a while, sccooorree I'm gonna get to know her more then ask her out
Old 7th February 2010, 07:39

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaim
Spoke to the girl I like in college, then when I got home I was pleased to find she added me on facebook she sent me quite alot of messages and we chatted on facebook chat for a while, sccooorree I'm gonna get to know her more then ask her out
Well done - hoope that goes well for you !
Old 7th February 2010, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl1980
Had a cracking week at work- I lead the team meeting yesterday and I volunteered for it as well.
How daring!

Good for you!
Old 13th February 2010, 15:17

I met a complete stranger last night (friend of a friend) and felt no anxiety whatsoever. She was a very nice open minded lady so that certainly helped.

I did make a few 'mistakes' (whatever you want to call them) for example my voice wasn't loud enough at certain times and I had to repeat myself. Normally this would make me feel embarrassed because I'd instantly think 'Argh I can't even talk properly I'm crap', but that didn't even enter my mind this time around. I just repeated myself with a louder voice and thought nothing of it (she just didn't hear me, no biggie).

Thankgod this is getting easier. It's about time!!
Old 13th February 2010, 20:30

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
I met a complete stranger last night (friend of a friend) and felt no anxiety whatsoever. She was a very nice open minded lady so that certainly helped.

I did make a few 'mistakes' (whatever you want to call them) for example my voice wasn't loud enough at certain times and I had to repeat myself. Normally this would make me feel embarrassed because I'd instantly think 'Argh I can't even talk properly I'm crap', but that didn't even enter my mind this time around. I just repeated myself with a louder voice and thought nothing of it (she just didn't hear me, no biggie).

Thankgod this is getting easier. It's about time!!
Good job. I know I get that way sometimes when a friend asked me what I said then I get self conscious and feel so stupid and be like never mind or pretend not to hear because I feel embarrassed. I need to work on that. Good job keep up the good work
Old 17th February 2010, 18:18

Thankyou. We take things far too personally, it may just be a case of them not understanding you, or them not hearing you, which is not neccessarily your fault!