SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th July 2007, 22:51

Default I'm new and can't think of an original title

Hi everyone. I usually post on another site but when I'm depressed like I am now, I have real issues in social situations. Anyway someone on that site recommended this one so here I am!

Some days I will go to town and feel like I am on a stage and everyone is looking/watching me, does that make sense?

Also, when talking, my voice is so quiet cos I am so nervous and I find that I have no tone in my voice either. I didn't always be so monotone, think it's just the depression manifesting, but I find myself trying to guess what tones to talk in.

Hope someone understands my warblings!
Old 29th July 2007, 23:31
Deepest Blue

Default Re: I'm new and can't think of an original title

Hi ya *Starla*,

Welcome to the forum !

I used to post on another forum too so it makes a refreshing change to find a place that would give you a different pespective on things.

I sometimes feel what you're feeling to when in town and shopping, although i actually do enjoy shopping it can sometimes be quite daunting as if you are being watched, but in reality you're not, it's just that you are quite aware of your surroundings.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to feel anxiety in shops as I think there are two issues with lighting.

The first is longer term, that in bright daylight we produce more serotonin, and in dim (especially artificial) light serotonin levels are reduced.

This would not explain the almost immediate experience of anxiety in places with that type of lighting.

I think the other more immediate effect with fluorescents is the flicker, which is usually impercetpible, but is picked up unconsciously. This flickering movement, especially in peripheral vision could be associated with something moving and being a threat - akin to being in a jungle and being aware of an unusual movement of leaves. This combined with a number of people, in a place with no natural light may trigger anxiety.

The flickering will repeatedly fire off the reorientation response, which would also explain the fatigue and problems with concentration that many people experience under fluorescent lights.

All this can contribute to a lot of things, the surroundings can have quite an impact on how you react around not only people but how you are feeling at the time.

I know how you feel because i get the same way sometimes.

Take Care
Danny.
Old 30th July 2007, 07:43
Sidney

Old 30th July 2007, 19:40
I.G.

Hi *Starla*, welcome to the site
Old 30th July 2007, 21:53

Mood
Pensive

Hello and welcome Starla
Old 30th July 2007, 22:52

[QUOTE=Muffin Head

I sometimes feel what you're feeling to when in town and shopping, although i actually do enjoy shopping it can sometimes be quite daunting as if you are being watched, but in reality you're not, it's just that you are quite aware of your surroundings.
.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Danny for your lengthy response. I like shopping too, its all I seem to do! Although like you say I think its is just being aware of your surroundings. Theres too much stimulus going on and I think I get the on edge feeling, although its not all the time thank goodness.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me
Old 30th July 2007, 23:29

Mood
Thinking

Hi sarpal, nice name i get how u feel, i get them alot.. btw a original title , Hi im new

whats bipolar disorder ?
Closed Thread