Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd July 2014, 15:19

Default Re: The Meditation thread

Interesting clip that may or may not help you if you struggle with meditation

Old 3rd July 2014, 22:12

Mood
Balanced

Hi, great thread thanks for posting, we do some meditation in the Liverpool Social Practice Group, I'm trying to meditate every day, I do think it makes a difference, here are some useful links:

Jon Kabat Zinn
Wherever You Go There You Are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c2X3B8yI8I

Guided Mindfulness Meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMjRN-ChzI

Full Catastrophe Living
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Catastr...jon+kabat+zinn

Mindfulness meditation featured on BBC Breakfast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMsUGB_KV7s
http://franticworld.com/

Articles:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/searc...tation&x=0&y=0
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:51

I wanted to share my experience with meditation so far. It's been 3 weeks of daily meditation and today I managed to spend roughly 40 mins of uninterrupted focus on the smoke-detector on the roof, a minor accomplishment in itself.

I am also doing some practice to temper down the control that emotions have over me through observing the ego and i'm having some success. I'm feeling glimpses of instances where I would normally jump to thinking patterns that come about through focusing on external events happening around me to being able to focus on being present and dwelling on myself. It feels like I am seeing humans as humans and not the cause of my own suffering or happiness.

What I am also noticing is that the ego inside me not only causes extreme negative thinking patterns but also extreme positive ones. I'm not saying experiencing joyful emotions is bad, but if the ego is at the root of it then i need to tackle it in whatever form it operates. Therefore, when i feel myself compelled to do something that would evoke emotions of joy and excitement, I can catch the ego in those situations, temper it down and come back to the now and dwelling on myself which is the exact same process as if the ego was compelling me to experience negative thoughts and emotions.

For example, sitting outside for 2 mins having a cigarette I noticed a lady across the road doing the same. Normally I would spend 80% of those 2 minutes thinking about her, what she is thinking of me, predicting negative future scenarios, remembering past similar experiences, then I might start to tremble a bit, feel anxious and want to get out of there etc... instead, I was able to see her and not have an immediate emotional response. I was able to just dwell on staring at the footpath in front of me and being aware of the changes happening from moment to moment. Granted there was some thinking going on, which was of an internal nature, but I was able to block her out and not even worry at all. Still early days and I need more practice I suppose.

I strongly believe that the meditation is training my ability to be aware and introspective which has enabled me to carry out the practice of tempering down my emotions. Without the meditation I don't think i would be able to carry out this introspection successfully.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:55
Banned

Mood
Scared

I'm struggling to do the meditation. I'm managing two a week. It takes discipline to do it every day.

One of the revelations I had during one meditation was realizing that you are not your thoughts. You are the silent observer behind the thought and your thoughts float in and out of your conscious awareness seemingly at will, like remnants from the past echoing back at you. I've heard people say something along the lines of 'you are not your thoughts' But to experience that was powerful. You only realize it fully through meditation.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:51

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonlane
One of the revelations I had during one meditation was realizing that you are not your thoughts. You are the silent observer behind the thought and your thoughts float in and out of your conscious awareness seemingly at will, like remnants from the past echoing back at you. I've heard people say something along the lines of 'you are not your thoughts' But to experience that was powerful. You only realize it fully through meditation.
sounds interesting Buttonlane,.

it is quite an eye-opening revelation when it comes to you like that,.

I had this too once, and straight away I saw that we are not the body either,.
that was quite powerful,.

these revelations tend to come hand-in-hand with meditation,.
but if you see it as some attainment or some "thing" you can hold then it tends to dissapear as quickly as it came.

it's quite difficuilt to just let these insights come and go becasue part of us gets quite excited about certain insights or revelations that come to you.
but the sureest way to stop insights coming is to get excited about them and to hold onto what you've come across or seen in yourself.
Old 23rd July 2014, 21:57

Mood
Bashful

As a psychologist, I'm supposed to say that meditation is great, and it is for some people. But I've used it and it has never helped me apart from sometimes making me think more clearly.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:39

Mood
Mondayblues

I really want to get into meditation to see if it helps. I have done guided meditations in the past and have been listening to hypnosis recordings lately too. I think its mindfulness that you are all refering to though. I will check out the links :-)

xx
Old 29th August 2014, 14:13

I find one moment meditation to be a great help so thought I'd share it with you guys in the hope you may get some use from it

http://youtu.be/F6eFFCi12v8
Old 29th August 2014, 17:38

I have downloaded an app onto my phone called 'Headspace'. I downloaded it last weekend but I have just now done session 1 which was just over 10 minutes.

So that is the first time I have ever meditated. As I feared I was struggling to breathe a bit during the session because I often find myself with 'air hunger' or the need to take a deep sigh or yawn in an effort to get more air but fortunately it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I wonder whether to just stick with this app for now or look into other things? I don't want to overdo it though initially because if I do that I will put myself off in the long run. 10mins a day sounds good for me for now.

Has anyone else tried 'headspace' ?
Old 10th October 2014, 13:16

Mood
Balanced

I have only just taken up mindful meditation recently but I am hopeful that it may be helpful. I like the way that it emphasises taking a step back from thoughts and emotions, observing them non-judgementally, just letting them be, and focusing instead on this single moment right now. I spend so much time ruminating on the past or worrying about the future that this is a valuable skill to learn, although it will take much practise to become a habit.

Also, I think it may be helpful to learn to acknowledge and accept SA thoughts and emotions with non-judgemental awarenss and kindness to the self rather than feeling I am in a constant (losing) battle with them.

I will probably write more on this in the future as I am keen to explore this approach to dealing with SA.
Old 10th October 2014, 19:34

I used to go to mindfulness meditation drop-in sessions, where I learnt the basics, but I don't go any more because just going makes me anxious. I never got into the habit of meditating regularly at home but I think I'll give it a go.
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:48

Mood
Balanced

I must start meditating again. Historically I have found it very difficult, not just the practice but also the discipline of sitting every day. I want to overcome that though because the glimpses I have had lead me to believe that it would be really good for me.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:01

Nice thread, I thought for those who are thinking of starting meditation a good place to start is the website, 'Headspace.' It was founded by someone who spent time as a monk and is trying to bring simple and practical meditation into the western world. I found it a great place to start as it provides some animation videos explaining the benefits of meditation and how it would be best to approach it. You can then sign up to a free 10 day course (all done on the computer, don't need to go anywhere), where you are guided through a short meditation each day. Here is the link if you are interested.

https://www.headspace.com/
Old 16th July 2017, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I've started "Calm" (app for android) and really liked it, done 7 days of calm, but then I've noticed that most of the content is locked and you need to pay for it. I definitely won't be paying for a meditation app until I check on myself if meditation is really useful.
I really liked 'the 7 days of calm' but yes, you then have to pay for a subscription to access all of the other meditations. I do still use all of the sounds and the music on that app though, they're very calming.
Old 29th July 2017, 11:47

I recently read a couple of short books on Buddhism and meditation by Steve Hagen (this one and this one - both £3 in The Works last time I was there) and found his ideas and suggested approach resonated with me more than others I've previously come across. I've been putting some his suggestions into practice too, and I do seem to be getting somewhere with it - particularly in more informal mindfulness practice throughout the day. I'd definitely recommend giving them a look.
Old 31st July 2017, 20:55

^ Great to hear you showing an interest in Buddhism and meditation, two things very important in my own life, the books look great, will have to see if my local Works has them (can't beat the Works)
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:44

^ Cheers, sir! There's differently something in it. And there seems to be mounting scientific evidence confirming it too. Let me know how you get on with the books if The Works delivers!
Old 5th August 2017, 20:56

^^ Oh definitely, there is a lot of scientific evidence out there, no excuses for not starting now if you're not already meditating

^ I'd more or less consider myself Buddhist, although without a deity as you say, I don't really see or treat it as a religion as such, more a philosophy or a guide on how to life my life, so much of Buddhist philosophy resonates with me, meditation and mindfulness, its pragmatism and emphasis on the 'Middle Way' meaning to avoid the excesses and extremes of life and its emphasis on compassion and honesty. And I think you're right, it certainly could be helpful for many people on this forum in managing MH issues, although you don't necessarily need to become Buddhist and get into all the spiritual dogma and ritual of Buddhism which can be intimidating.

One other thing I want to mention that I've probably already mentioned in the past, is that if you're starting out in meditation, you will be awful at it at first, that's a harsh and important truth. I find it helps to think of it as a skill, if you're just starting to learn a musical instrument, of course you're going to be rubbish at it at first, persistence and practice is key, you've really got to find some self discipline and have a daily practice, now and again when you feel like it won't have much effect in the long term. It's a shame that so many people feel that meditation is not for them, it may not be a short term fix for anything, but it will almost certainly have a positive impact on your life if you persist with it.
Old 16th August 2017, 14:57

Mood
Torn

I've been using Deepak Chopra's Leela programme designed for games consoles - mines a Wii.

Here's the blurb...

''A fully immersive experience, the game uniquely combines physical activity and meditation using game consoles...allows players to utilize full-body gestures to relax the entire body...through seven meditations, users can focus their attention on specific parts of their bodies to relax and enter a "flow state"...Users may create a personal mandala--a representation of the unconscious self and focal point for meditation--and even share it on Facebook...Leela utilises the player’s own abilities to help cultivate a healthier, more harmonious and balanced life''

I'm not so sure about the gaming aspects - I find I'm concentrating on achieving the goals as opposed to relaxing, but the meditation side of the programme is good (but bear in mind I have no other experience of meditation) It helps regulate my breathing and I do feel calmer after doing it. I've only had it a couple of weeks, so not progressed much to other levels.
Old 16th August 2017, 18:56

I've never really been in to meditation but did try insight timer after boy recommended it. Maybe it's too late in the evening when I try it because I've used it about three times and fallen asleep on each guided meditation so I can't really comment on how effective it is - although it would clearly work very well if used with the intent of putting myself to sleep!!
I've also installed Headspace which gives you ten free guided meditations of three minutes each. I remain open minded as to whether or not meditation is for me, but the idea of it seems good. I've not done Headspace daily though so still have three sessions to do. I've tried to do this one in the mornings but if I'm honest, I really don't think I'm getting anything out of it, but would agree with Olly who says that in order to see its benefit you have to stick at it and not do it sporadically as I have done.
Old 5th July 2022, 23:57

Is there a good online community / app for meditation?
I find it easy to do stuff with someone and hard to stick with it by myself.

I've tried to attend physical classes, but half of the time I am sitting there all tensed and nervous that my stomach will growl during all this silence and people around...
Old 6th July 2022, 05:38

Have you tried different types of in person meditation classes? I've been to one before where I had to sit in the middle of a circle and they dangled crystals around me. I found that really uncomfortable from an SA point of view and I kept worrying that I was going to get whacked in the face with a rock. I couldn't relax.

But recently someone mentioned singing bowls and how some places use those as a sound to focus breathing on.

Sorry I'm not sure of apps, but the guided meditation cds that I've used in the past are good, so apps must be too
Old 6th July 2022, 05:38

It's been recommended that I should attend meditation classes but I worry that I'll have ants in my pants or want to shout, "BUMS!" or something like that!

(I think those could be the reason why it's been recommended!)
Old 6th July 2022, 11:14

Mood
Lucky

Yeah, Headspace is good. I did it for ages and found it easy enough to go along with.

It does feel a bit basic after a while though. I read a few books on meditation to try and get a better understanding of it.

I did the Waking Up app (they do a free version for people that don't want to pay) but that was too hard.

I think at the time I enjoyed Headspace, and it does feel restful/beneficial while you're doing it, but since I've stopped I've not missed it.

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with me, or everyone feels this, but whenever I try one of these things that are touted as being really good for you, I never really seem to notice much benefit.

Do these things work for everyone else but not me? Or is everyone going along with it because they thing everyone else is getting benefit from it?

Even exercise, which I do enjoy doing, doesn't really give me that noticeable mood boost that people talk about. Or at least it doesn't really make be feel better overall, as I feel tired from the exercise, which sort of negates any positives I get from it.

There are lots more I can think of that I've tried, like therapy, not using social media, cold showers, sea swimming, supplements/heathly eating, chiropractors, osteopaths, physios, some other apps I've tried.

The only thing that seems to make a difference is sleep. On the rare occasion I get a good night's sleep and feel refreshed the next day, I do feel better. But even then, something else can happen during the day which wipes out the good sleep feeling.

Maybe there's one thing out there that works for us, bit it's different for everyone and you have to try them all until you find it. Or it's all a load of bs!
Old 6th July 2022, 13:50

Mood
Lucky

Some things the NHS recommends are BS, acupuncture for example.

Maybe. But part of me really does wonder, though, if people really are getting the benefits from things that are claimed of them.

If all these things worked, wouldn't there be more healthy, happy people about, rather than so many depressed, overweight, ill people?
Old 6th July 2022, 17:14

Yoga really helps me. I need to find a class again. I wasn't able to go because of covid anxiety and I found YouTube doesn't create the same atmosphere.

Acupuncture does have medical research to support that it is an effective pain relief for chronic pain.

Also being healthy physically and mental health comes down to a lot of things. If your diet isn't healthy, you drink, smoke etc. then going to yoga isn't really going to be a counterbalance to those unhealthy behaviours.
Old 7th July 2022, 09:57

Mood
Lucky

I guess you are right. Most studies show things mostly only work on a percentage of the people in the study, so it would make sense that they wouldn't work on a significant number of people.

If you also consider the problem with them not being able to replicate the findings from studies, then I guess that explains why things that are recommended as "proven" don't actually make a difference for a lot of people.
Old 7th July 2022, 18:03

^^ do you think there is also an element of people wanting it to work and thinking it will work. You have to be open to the idea of it working really.

A bit like walking helps to lift our mood if we are feeling a little bit low. If you think, "not it won't!" then it probably won't and it will be a fried-it-once-and-it-didn't-work-so-I-will-stop situation.

people's openness to experiences and wanting something to help them must correlate with how effective a person feels yoga and mediation are in helping to relax and feel calm.

(When I say 'you' I mean the generic you, not you, Tonkin!)
Old 7th July 2022, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Have you tried different types of in person meditation classes? I've been to one before where I had to sit in the middle of a circle and they dangled crystals around me. I found that really uncomfortable from an SA point of view and I kept worrying that I was going to get whacked in the face with a rock. I couldn't relax.

But recently someone mentioned singing bowls and how some places use those as a sound to focus breathing on.

Sorry I'm not sure of apps, but the guided meditation cds that I've used in the past are good, so apps must be too
Well done for going to such a place! I wouldn't feel comfortable as well!
I remember that I couldn't even relax one on one with my therapist, when she asked me to close my eyes and do some breathing exercise.

It seems that I cannot do stuff on my own, so I need some sort of encouragement or support and that's why I am searching for some sort of community. I remember when I was reading "The Power of Now", I practiced what the book has suggested, but I stopped soon after I finished the book, so even reading helped me to stick with meditation for a while.
Old 7th July 2022, 19:17

Thank you

I hope you find a group that you feel able to join.

My sister goes to mediation classes and she's invited me to go to one with her. It's the one with the singing bowls. (She lives too far away for me to ever attend again but it will be nice to go for a taster session)

I'm a bit worried that I'll start laughing or something! In a nervous way, I mean!