SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd June 2006, 19:34

Last edited by raven; 25th June 2006 at 00:04.
Old 23rd June 2006, 20:33

Default Re: Beta Blockers

Hey,

I'm taking Benadrol (propanolol) and in the side effects leaflet it says 'Pins and needles, numbness and muscle weakness or tenderness may occur'.
If its worrying you or effecting your life I would go back to the doctor though.
Old 24th June 2006, 00:18

I've been wondering about these things called beta blockers for some time now. I wouldn't want to take them for the rest of my life,but if they could aid me in my bid to control my fear of "blushing" to begin with then maybe I would give them ago.

For those that have used them (and I'm talking to people that are Blushers here) - how effective are they,or have they been for you in you bid to control your blushing?
Old 24th June 2006, 09:04

That's the strangest thing I've heard from someone taking beta-blockers. I think tapering them off and a trip to the doctor fairly urgently would be wise.

I take 80mg suspended release propranolol a day and haven't experienced anything like that.

Look here for possible side affects http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-i02.html#Head_6
Old 24th June 2006, 10:10

Mood
Pensive

I thought Beta Blockers were something you only took now and again when you were facing an anxiety-provoking event such as a driving test or flying. Am I wrong?
Old 24th June 2006, 10:35

Yeah, how often are you taking them raven, and how much?
Old 24th June 2006, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
I thought Beta Blockers were something you only took now and again when you were facing an anxiety-provoking event such as a driving test or flying. Am I wrong?
That's how I started on them. Just taking 20mg now and again for when I felt particularly nervy. They weren't doing enough since I have anxiety most of my waking moments. Cutting out all caffeine and using a propranolol tablet that is in my system 24 hours a day has improved my quality of life a fair amount. My heart no longer thumps in my chest when I try to go to sleep and I can watch telly or whatever without my leg nervously bouncing up and down like crazy.

So in conclusion you can use them either way. All the time or just once in a while. Depends on how bad your physical anxiety is.
Old 26th June 2006, 00:06

Hi ,

I have been on them for 7 years. I even take 1/4 of a tablet sometimes, eg 10mg.

I go for days without them and have days when I take 40 mg if i have to present to the directors at work etc.

I have never had any side effects but I do notice that my heart beat slows down.

Good luck.
Old 27th June 2006, 15:18

Hi all,
Beta Blockers are used according to the patient's conditions. Dosage is determined depending on your severity of panick/anxiety. I still use them today and find them highly effective for taking away the adrenaline bursts you get before an attack or bout of anxiety.

It can help with the fear of blushing, but technically doesnt actually stop blushing.

Blushing, in context of anxiety related triggering, is not related entirely to heart rate.

It is related to the sympathetic nervous system. I won't bore you all with that medical technicalities right now tho!
Old 27th June 2006, 17:26

Hey, so thanks for answering my question, although i have now removed it.

Beta blockers are primarily used for people with heart conditions, to lower blood pressure, they are given to people with anxiety related illnesses because if you lower blood pressure it reduces anxiety.

This is one of the beneifical side effects. I won't bore you with all the stuff about blushing, you can find out yourself on the links on the SA-UK home page. But basically it's all to do with the size of the capilleries in your face. Reducing your blood pressure lessens the amount of blood to your capilleries, thus reduced blushing.

As to my side effects (thanks lora for the info) this happens in some people apparently and is nothing to worry about, and i'd rather have slightly numb fingers than blushing anyday of the week.

Anyway i've got one more post to add to and then i'm going to stop for a while as i've been feeling really angry lately and i don't want to upset all you lovely people (although i've just brought a new chair with wheels on and am having great fun rolling up and down my living room while spinning round (sad!)) by posting something i don't mean.

So keep well and i hope to be back at some point.

cheers, alex.
Old 27th June 2006, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven
Hey, so thanks for answering my question, although i have now removed it.

Beta blockers are primarily used for people with heart conditions, to lower blood pressure, they are given to people with anxiety related illnesses because if you lower blood pressure it reduces anxiety.

This is one of the beneifical side effects. I won't bore you with all the stuff about blushing, you can find out yourself on the links on the SA-UK home page. But basically it's all to do with the size of the capilleries in your face. Reducing your blood pressure lessens the amount of blood to your capilleries, thus reduced blushing.

As to my side effects (thanks lora for the info) this happens in some people apparently and is nothing to worry about, and i'd rather have slightly numb fingers than blushing anyday of the week.

Anyway i've got one more post to add to and then i'm going to stop for a while as i've been feeling really angry lately and i don't want to upset all you lovely people (although i've just brought a new chair with wheels on and am having great fun rolling up and down my living room while spinning round (sad!)) by posting something i don't mean.

So keep well and i hope to be back at some point.

cheers, alex.
'Quote' the raven,never more. lol

I've gotta get one of those chairs for when I'm online. Thanks for the info.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:07

Ive started these as of half an hour ago, 20mg three times a day, so ill keep you all posted.

I have a date tonight, so that will be a good test!
Old 10th January 2007, 15:03

Good luck with the meds, and good luck with the date too. :roundnrou
Closed Thread