SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th June 2006, 21:32

Mood
Volatile

Default The World Cup!!

I have no one to go and watch the world cup with and I really enjoy the Pub atmosphere on match days. I have to go in to town tomorrow and I was thinking of just going in to a pub buying a lemonade (I can not use dutch courage cos of meds) and getting lost in the crowd.

I feel fine about this my only anxiety is people will think I am weird for being on my own. If I wanna make some friends though I have to go out, I am not going to meet anyone in my flat! Also does any one have any opinion on women going to the pub alone. I know my mother would strongly discourage me. My Mum often passes her anxieties on to me!

Has anyone got any tips on getting through it. I feel I should make the effort!!

Is anyone else in the Reading area and wanting to watch the England game tomorrow?
Old 9th June 2006, 21:45

Default Re: The World Cup!!

I find watching football is about the only situation in which I feel comfortable being on my own in a pub. I'm sure people won't think you weird if you are on your own. As for thoughts on a woman going alone into a pub, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Me, I'll probably sit alone in my flat and watch tomorrow's game. I was tempted to go and watch on the big screen at Docklands (some other SAUK members are, and on to a Greenwich meet), but it's a bit of an effort for me with the hot weather and all that.
Old 9th June 2006, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
I have no one to go and watch the world cup with and I really enjoy the Pub atmosphere on match days. I have to go in to town tomorrow and I was thinking of just going in to a pub buying a lemonade (I can not use dutch courage cos of meds) and getting lost in the crowd.

I feel fine about this my only anxiety is people will think I am weird for being on my own. If I wanna make some friends though I have to go out, I am not going to meet anyone in my flat! Also does any one have any opinion on women going to the pub alone. I know my mother would strongly discourage me. My Mum often passes her anxieties on to me!

Has anyone got any tips on getting through it. I feel I should make the effort!!

Is anyone else in the Reading area and wanting to watch the England game tomorrow?
At he 1998 world cup, I watched England v Argentina at a local Irish pub - not sure that was a good idea, but the lads I was sharing with went out earlier and i felt left out sitting at home by myself, so I went by myself. I just stood by the bar watching the big screen, and had a bit of a convo with a guy what walked in.

Its probably much harder for a girl to walk into a pub by myself - especially when full of lads getting drunk lol.

I'm Newbury, but I don't drive so can't get to Reading easily - not sure about getting on a train on Saturday, probably too busy. You're welcome to head my way, there's probably a choice of pubs here with a screen. You could always just brave it, and if you get hassled try a different pub - must be a good choice in Reading.

There used to be some from Reading, there was a support group there, not sure if they are still around.
Old 9th June 2006, 22:51

Mood
Volatile

Thanks Paul, Tim,

I have a few things to do in Reading in the morning so I don't think there will be time to go to Newbury. I think I will slip into a busy pub though as I love the atmosphere on match days.

I did not see any support groups in Reading when I looked the other day, if anyone from the area wants to get together informally to just go out let me know!!

Maybe I will head into the city fro a match after I get back from holiday in 2 weeks?
Old 9th June 2006, 23:15

depends which bar/pub you go in, some bars i go i on my own and feel ok, but not the oldey mans pubs i feel everyone looks at you in those places, you will be ok, and have fun!!!
Old 9th June 2006, 23:15

I'm going to have a day out in bath tomorrow.The plan is to cycle from home (aka- bristol) along the 'bristol to bath' cycle path. Its about a 17 mile journey which will take about 2 and a half hours to do,if I go slow that is.

But about half way there,there is a pub and I'm going to stop off in there for the england game.
Closed Thread