SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th October 2018, 12:35

Mood
Worried

Default Re: The Autism, Asperger's and ASD Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spaceman

There were a few fun practical exercises too. One involved showing me a picture book which seemed to show flying frogs terrorising a town and I had to develop a story based on these pictures. Another she gave me five objects - a toy car, a feather, a cube, a tiny ice cream and I can't remember what else - and I had to make up a story involving these five objects. Given I have virtually no creative ability this is something I struggled with and there was a long silence before I came up with something pretty basic.
Wow-that sounds very difficult. If it was a proper car I'd have said there was a cube and feather in the car as I went to buy a tiny ice cream. However I wouldn't know where to begin with the items as you described.
Old 19th October 2018, 19:25

Mood
Tired

The story I came up with was there was a man eating an ice cream, and a bird swooped down and stole it, then the man drove home and sat on his cube shaped sofa.

I've already had enquiries from a couple of major publishing houses.

Another one was I had to describe to someone who had never brushed their teeth before how to brush their teeth.
Then there was "Can you describe what anxiety feels like?" and "What do you think would be the good and bad things about being in a relationship?" and "Can you describe what love feels like?". Cue long silences, ummm.....
Old 19th October 2018, 22:29

Mood
Worried

That's much better than I'd be able to do.

As for the teeth etc I'd struggle with that, and I'm verbally very intelligent. I can know what a word means, but ask me to describe it to someone and I'm flummoxed.
Old 19th October 2018, 22:36

Mood
Worried

That's much better than I'd be able to do.

As for the teeth etc I'd struggle with that, and I'm verbally very intelligent. I can know what a word means, but ask me to describe it to someone and I'm flummoxed.
Old 20th October 2018, 15:03

Mood
Dreaming

@ Mr. Spaceman, that sounds terrifying to me! Well done for getting through that. I don't think I would've been able to come up with anything under pressure. Were the assessors understanding about that sort of thing?

Twice now I've made an appointment with my GP to ask for an autism referral, and twice I've chickened out and cancelled the appointment. I'm actually starting to worry that I'll be blacklisted from my doctor's surgery for cancelling so often.

Next appointment is on November 1st, if I actually make it to the surgery that is. I mean, you hear so much about GP services being overstretched and the NHS being in crisis, I guess I don't want to bother them with something that isn't life-threatening (silly, I know).
Old 21st October 2018, 00:09

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle
Were the assessors understanding about that sort of thing?

The assessment took place at the Maudsley Hospital in south London, which is one of the major mental health places in the UK so I'm fairly confident of them being understanding. The women doing the assessment were quite pleasant. The one asking the questions had a permanent smile on her face but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that is just her nature rather than she was laughing at me

As for being blacklisted, if you cancel your appointment (my surgery says to give them 24 hours notice), then it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you simply don't turn up for an appointment that they get mad, and even then you have to do it regularly for them to kick you off the practice list.
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:46

Mood
Dreaming

Thank you, that's helpful to hear.
Old 25th October 2018, 21:20

Mood
Worried

Did anyone else worry about a forthcoming ASD assessment ?

Or is it just me being a chronic worry wort? I'm more certain I'm neurodiverse than I am I'm on the spectrum. Things like dyspraxia and NVLD make as much , or more, sense.

My fear is that not being found to be on the spectrum would shut down other avenues re being neurodiverse.
Old 27th October 2018, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spaceman
The story I came up with was there was a man eating an ice cream, and a bird swooped down and stole it, then the man drove home and sat on his cube shaped sofa.

I've already had enquiries from a couple of major publishing houses.
That sounds a pretty good effort to me. Not easy to think creatively under pressure.

I'm not on the spectrum, as far as I know, so I probably shouldn't be commenting on the assessment questions, but I have to admit that the temptation to tease them with the most disturbing sexual story I could think of involving ice cream and feathers and cars would have crossed my mind - just to see if they started scribbling notes furiously. It might have wiped the smile off that lady's face if you you got all enthusiastic about what the hero of your story likes to with ice cream and feathers in the back of his car with sexual partners and then go into all sorts of worryingly lurid details about his adventures.

But I suppose if anyone were to do that they might end up being referred for quite a different sort of assessment.
Old 29th October 2018, 20:01

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
Did anyone else worry about a forthcoming ASD assessment ?

Or is it just me being a chronic worry wort? I'm more certain I'm neurodiverse than I am I'm on the spectrum. Things like dyspraxia and NVLD make as much , or more, sense.

My fear is that not being found to be on the spectrum would shut down other avenues re being neurodiverse.
Yes I'm worried (assuming I actually get an assessment, that is!).

Firstly I'm anxious about having to meet strangers and tell them intimate details of my life. But also, I kinda have too much riding on this now. If after all this I'm diagnosed as neurotypical I'd be disappointed, to say the least. My counsellor talks as though I've already been diagnosed with autism, she seems that sure of it. Previous crappy experiences with mental health services and past misdiagnoses contribute to my feeling of foreboding as well.
Old 29th October 2018, 21:01

Mood
Worried

My worry is remembering details of my childhood if asked. My autobiographical memory is poor. And as you say -talking to strangers.

I'm 90% certain I'm neurodiverse but only 35-50% certain I'm on the spectrum(it fluctuates).
Old 5th November 2018, 12:07

Mood
Worried

Date for autism assessment has been made . February 2019. Apprehension /expectations levels are through the roof . Ideally they would like to speak to someone has known me from birth/infancy. That is tricky. Father is 88,lives in the States and has a patchy memory for my early years . My mother is dead. I have a brother and sister who live in London. I'm doubtful they'd come to Wiltshire to be with me at the assessments. There are no Aunts and Uncles to come to an assessment.
Best I can really do is my stepdaughter who has only known me since I was 25 .

They say they'll go by medical/social care reports if not , but I'm wondering if written info from my brother and sister will suffice.
Old 5th November 2018, 23:01

Would your siblings be able to help you though? Is there a big enough age gap? I suppose whatever info you can muster up is helpful.
Old 5th November 2018, 23:52

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl
Would your siblings be able to help you though? Is there a big enough age gap? I suppose whatever info you can muster up is helpful.

Have emailed them. My brother has said he's not sure what to say. I've sent him a few links to give him some ideas. My sister has said she'll try and come to the assessment work permitting.

They are 2 and 3 years younger than me .
Old 6th November 2018, 19:10

Mood
Dreaming

Good luck with your assessment Firemonkey.

Well I managed to get to the doctor's and get a referral to the autism service. I don't know any more than that at this stage.

Appointment was a bit gruelling though! Although the Dr was nice, she did grill me a bit about reasons why I thought I had autism, which I stupidly hadn't prepared for. Then she started asking about my mental health, talking about adjusting my meds. She referred me back to the mental health team, which I'm uneasy about tbh (but I didn't feel able to say so at the time, I am terrible at thinking on my feet). Basically last time I saw the CMHT they were useless and (among other crappiness) tried to take me off a drug that I'd told them was helping me. So we'll see how that goes. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
Old 7th November 2018, 07:53

Mood
Worried

^ Thanks. Nervous as can be . Have heard conflicting stories about the assessment process ranging from it was a gruelling experience to it being a walk in the park.

Big fear is if they don't say ASD other areas to obvious neurodiversity won't be mentioned. I already know they don't cover NVLD which is what I believe I fit better than ASD.

It's the fear of not getting official confirmation of the way you are and still being left in the dark.
Old 11th November 2018, 14:53

Mood
Worried

Well got email back from my dad. According to him-

Quote:
There seem to be few if any characteristics of you as a child up to age 8 on which could provide evidence that would be supportive of a diagnosis of autism
I donít know whether this is because there are no signs or a case of a parent not wanting to accept a child of theirís may be on the spectrum. It certainly contrasts with my sister scoring me 165 on the RAADS-R at aspie tests. Cut off for ASD is 65.

He added that heíd always seen me as being at the high potential end of any scale. As I have mentioned probable learning difficulties before on Facebook I get the impression he may be in denial.
Old 13th November 2018, 21:03
Banned at own request

A random question but if you had been repeatedly misunderstood due to ASD, how did it make you feel? How did/have you dealt with it?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:07

Mood
Cynical

^^ Perhaps your father's idea of signs of autism are more on the severe end of the scale, like speech delays or signs of a low IQ. In his generation the diagnosis of Asperger's didn't exist so people saw autism in a certain way rather than the way we now know it can present?