SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th February 2020, 18:43

Default Re: You know you're getting old when..

^ You're a young man to me, limey
Old 10th February 2020, 20:40

^ Now you have to guess my age!
Old 10th February 2020, 21:05

^ Younger than I am!
Old 10th February 2020, 21:24

^ I'm guessing probs so. But perhaps by less than you think: both my sis and myself look considerably younger than our real age. My gf does even better, though, she was alcohol-carded a few months back, and she's 46 in a few days!
Old 10th February 2020, 21:26

When the 90s seem recent.
Old 11th February 2020, 18:10

The 90s finally seem like a while ago, but the 2000s seem very recent. As in, surely they've just happened, haven't they? I think of anything post early 2000s as 'after my time'.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:07

Mood
Alienated

What I find weird is..dealing with people at work, seeing people on TV...they all start to look/sound 12. There was a time I remember being the youngster, we have an apprentice at work whos 17..part of me feels were quite similar, the reality is I'm just about old enough to be his dad, he probably thinks I'm an old fart just like the rest of the actual old farts at work!
Old 11th February 2020, 19:10

^He will think that! I don't think I felt old until I was realistically old enough to be a teen's mum, not in biological terms but in sociological terms.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:06

Mood
Alienated

^ Combine that with my recently acquired thinning patch of hair and I'm about buggered
Old 18th February 2020, 20:18

What makes me feel old is reading this thread and realising how young the people who think they're getting old are! I'm old enough now to be a great grandfather (although I never will be) and for the record, anything after the 1960s are after my time (ok, that's a slight exaggeration, "my time" hasn't ended yet).
Old 18th February 2020, 21:17
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

When watching the Brit awards feels like a mild form of torture.
Old 18th February 2020, 21:53

You start getting rheumatic pains in winter (and in summer, too).
Old 18th February 2020, 22:44

^ When will that happen? I dread things like that!
Old 19th February 2020, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
When watching the Brit awards feels like a mild form of torture.
I dunno I remember Sam Fox & Mick Fleetwood presenting (80s sometime),I think torture set in quite early with that I did put it on and have no clue who some of the people were though,which would be seen as an `old` thing by anyone `young` I assume. Ah,sod 'em
Old 19th February 2020, 14:25

^^^^Sorry GV, I need to stop going on about how old I am! I find it annoying when a 23 year old starts telling me how old they are because they're going to be 25 in a little over a year. Keep it to the other 20-somethings please!
Old 19th February 2020, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl
^^^^Sorry GV, I need to stop going on about how old I am! I find it annoying when a 23 year old starts telling me how old they are because they're going to be 25 in a little over a year. Keep it to the other 20-somethings please!
It's fine - I enjoy reading this thread because people ten or twenty years younger than me seem to be spotting signs of their own ageing which I haven't encountered yet - although, as I mentioned, the flip side of that is that I should feel old because people younger than me are feeling old (if that makes any sense).

Last year, I saw a poster in a hostel in Thailand which read "You don't stop having fun when you get old, you get old when you stop having fun" and I know we shouldn't live our lives according to glib clichés on fridge magnets and stuff like that, but it did strike a chord.

@Mo & girlinterrupted: I have to admit that I have never watched the Brits (although I do remember the fall-out of the Fox/Fleetwood debacle), but I do remember them being established. I also remember that the NME instigated its own awards, the Brats, because the Brits was too pro-establishment. I've just seen the list of nominations, winners and performers from last night and that aspect does seem to be getting better (apart from Springsteen being nominated for best international male), although I wasn't aware that Foals had done anything outstanding last year, so was quite surprised to see that they'd won best group.

I don't like awards ceremonies of any kind (at least, those which involve people who already receive lucrative reward for what they do - people being given awards for charity work or similar, that's a different thing entirely) but if these things exist, then it's better when they raise awareness of up-and-coming young artistes rather than the established ones - and finally the Brits seem to moving in that direction. I must be out of touch though, because until I saw that she'd won best female international artist, I hadn't realised that Billie Eilish was American!
Old 19th February 2020, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
^ When will that happen? I dread things like that!
You might have dodged that bullet, at least for now. Rheumatic stuff runs in my family.

I'm already seeing some signs, especially this time of year: stiff and clicking fingers, cricks in neck and general neck stiffness, aching knees, aches in the pelvic area, etc.

Worst is my back, it's still hurting from playing pool over a month ago! I'm really annoyed as I love the game and was planning on joining a local league.

Combine all the above with my current bladder woes and spreading grey/white hairs and suddenly I'm feeling my age.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:18

I'm not yet 30 so I'm probably not supposed to be in this thread, but lately I've sometimes found myself thinking "****ing kids" when teenagers are walking while staring at their phones and getting in my way or riding past on their bikes doing wheelies.

I don't watch the Brit Awards because I find awards ceremonies quite boring, but I do like quite a few of this year's nominees (FKA Twigs, Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish, Lizzo, Michael Kiwanuka, Mahalia, Charli XCX and Tyler, the Creator). I think a lot of (actually probably even most) people give up on music when they're in their teens or early 20s, then spend the rest of their lives listening to the same limited selection of bands/artists on repeat. That's probably why an event like the Brits can make some people feel the passage of time. There's equally good music released every year though and a continuous stream of new things to enjoy and get excited about (not just the stuff represented at the Brits). Most people seem to convince themselves "It's not as good as it used to be" purely because they listen to music for nostalgia purposes and new music doesn't remind them of their youth.

I don't understand why people like Tom Jones, Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart were there though. Surely 99% of the viewers haven't even heard of them.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.

I don't understand why people like Tom Jones, Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart were there though. Surely 99% of the viewers haven't even heard of them.
^ Conversely I'd only heard of one of the nominees you mentioned

Do women still throw their knickers at Tom Jones?!
Old 19th February 2020, 15:26

From a clip of his red carpet interview I saw it looks like they should be throwing statins at him.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:30

^ lol
Old 19th February 2020, 15:45

^^^^ I agree that there is a lot of good new music around these days, probably more than ever before - and artistes are having longer careers than ever before too (I mean, The Who and The Rolling Stones are still around!) so there is something for everyone. I am always amazed, when I go to festivals, that the young bands are managing to sound so fresh and establish an identity when so much has gone before - I mean, I know from The Sound Of Music that there are only seven notes! I do deliberately seek out festivals which showcase up and coming artists (Glastonbury has always been good for that, although I haven't managed to get a ticket now since 2011 - every year, a million people are online trying to buy 190.000 tickets; this year, I did get through to the part where all I had to do was make my payment and then the bloody site crashed - I hate See Tickets!). I have to admit that I don't feel the emotional connection to new bands that I used to, at least not very often - I think the last bands / artists that struck a real chord with me were London Grammar and Jack Garrett) but I do appreciate and admire what they do and enjoy listening to them at some level - I think every generation needs its own music and I think those who are in their teens and twenties now have a massive array of good music at their disposal, plus since probably the 1990s, we have been experiencing a cross-genre fusion which means that people are being exposed to different kinds of music, whereas when I was a teenager, people pretty much chose a genre (with me it was heavy metal and prog rock) and stuck with that - of course, my own tastes have widened considerably since then.

As for the Ronnie Wood / Rod Stewart thing, I believe there was a Faces reunion? I know they did a mini-festival about a decade ago (I was otherwise engaged) but there are people around for whom that would be something special; I think people know Tom Jones (he has a bit of resurgence in recent years) from being a judge on some talent show, I think it's called The Voice or something like that (talent shows aren't my thing either).

@limey, I do have the white hair (I don't know when it went grey, I shaved off my waist-length hair for charity when I was 40 and kept it shaved until I was 50, so it was sometime during that decade) and I had back pains for a few days while I was in Montenegro earlier this month, so perhaps time is catching up with me! I get the odd crack in my knees (I used to crack my knuckles quite a lot, but think this may have been anxiety-related as I seem to have stopped doing it) but it's normal for gasses to build up in joints, so I don't really think of that as a sign of ageing (maybe I'm wrong). Maybe you can still join that pool league? Perhaps you need to swing your hips a bit as a warm-up before bending over the table?
Old 19th February 2020, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
Do women still throw their knickers at Tom Jones?!
Yes, they do - but these days they take clean ones in their handbag especially and he wipes the sweat off his forehead with them and throws them back (do I, at this point, have to admit that I have seen Tom Jones live three times?); it's just become a bit of a comical tradition, I think.
Old 19th February 2020, 23:04
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinterrupted
I dunno I remember Sam Fox & Mick Fleetwood presenting (80s sometime),I think torture set in quite early with that I did put it on and have no clue who some of the people were though,which would be seen as an `old` thing by anyone `young` I assume. Ah,sod 'em
Oh yeah, I forgot about some of the awful old days of the Brits.

I don't mind some of the music but some of it is very samey and some of it is a bit.... of the times - self absorbed? a kind of reflection of the social media culture we live in. Not sure really what I mean to be honest, I can't quite put my finger on it but I just find some of it a bit annoying. I truly am turning into an old fart!
Old 24th February 2020, 16:28

You start to feel afraid of the future. And you start to worry about being old. I have never been happy, but I never really thought about, or worried about, the future either. Now I do. My neighbour cleans for old people, and she has told me horror stories of how some of them live. One 86-year-old, totally alone in a bungalow, had had diahorrea. When my neighbour arrived, it was everywhere, and this old woman had had to live with the smell for three days, with no one to clean her up or help. That’s the reality of growing old without children to care for you. I have also heard horror stories about what some carers can be like (though I’m sure many are lovely and kind). My neighbour stopped taking chocolate and other treats for her mum because the cleaners and carers would steal it.
Old 24th February 2020, 18:30
Banned

yep, Jimmy. did she have kids, or just none nearby

when you start saying "yeah I saw him on TV xx years ago" or "yeah I remember that happening xx years ago" when xx is more than 10. or a number.

"yeah I saw Gordon Ramsey on TV 10 years ago on HIGNFY (have I got news), he didn't swear then"

editited.
Old 24th February 2020, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77
That’s the reality of growing old without children to care for you.
Unfortunately this can be a reality for the elderly who do have children. My grandad had a similar experience and was living on his own until the age of 94. He has two children, my uncle lives miles away and rarely sees him and my mum tried to visit every two to three days whilst holding down a job. She'd come round to visit and clean him up after accidents, his carers would too.

The reality is, even if you do have children, there's no guarantee you will be cared for by them into your old age.

My grandad is in a care home now in the dementia wing. He had too many falls and was no longer mobile enough to live independently.
Old 24th February 2020, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo_
The reality is, even if you do have children, there's no guarantee you will be cared for by them into your old age.
Sadly this is very true. It's not always that children of elderly relatives don't care, it can often be that they live far away, or have quite serious health issues of their own. The 'children' of 90 year olds are often 60 plus themselves. Tragically, some children don't even outlive their parents. And if an older parent has severe dementia it can get to the point where it isn't safe for them to remain in the family home.

As has been said here before, having children certainly isn't a guarantee of escaping a rather miserable and lonely old age.

Sorry to be so depressing
Old 25th February 2020, 07:34

^ Absolutely. My mum is 65. She did everything she could to care for my grandad, as he refused to live anywhere but on his own. She couldn't keep him safe though as she couldn't physically be there 24/7.
Old 25th February 2020, 15:02

Mood
Cynical

Yep, my Nan lived until she was 86 and wanted to stay in her own home, so she had carers coming in twice a day to help her wash and dress etc and meals on wheels in the middle of the day....then at the weekends my Mum and my Uncle would take turns to stay over and do some housework and laundry for her, and also sort out any problems or issues with carers as they came up. It's a huge responsibility and for people who live a long way away from their parent or are an only child it just might not be possible. Then there's the people who simply have very difficult relationships with their parents!