SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2015, 19:43

Default pension worries

I hit 50 this year and have been looking at what the future holds. I don't have a good work record so only managed to start my pension a couple of years ago. I've got another 17 years to go before I can retire which on one hand seems a depressingly long time but, on the other, doesn't give me much chance to squirrel away a decent retirement fund.
If all goes according to plan I should be debt free, i.e. no mortgage and hopefully the state pension will still be around but I wonder how much more i'll need to live on. How much are werthers?
Old 24th February 2015, 08:09

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: pension worries

Yes I know what you mean I hit 50 in a couple of months but still find it hard to look into pensions as I really don't want to still be here by then.
Old 24th February 2015, 12:44

There has certainly been an element of that kind of thinking to my lack of planning but I'm now ok with the idea of being old provided I can enjoy reasonable health and some financial security. Looking again at the figures, it's not as bleak as I'd first feared - no early retirement or world cruise but I'll hopefully not be a regular at the soup kitchen. I'm also considering stockpiling spam and cardigans and other non perishables now to see me through my dotage.
Old 25th February 2015, 21:35

Mood
Tired

hmm, I'm in the 50 this year club too,.

I've worked full-time for ages now, (god knows how I managed) but I still have no idea about pensions and stuff and how I'll manage on a pension

good ideas there cave-girl,. there's hope for us yet,
I have ample access to sheep,. there's a few hundred roaming about freely just a minutes walk from me, must look up some of those old val doonican knitting patterns.
Old 27th February 2015, 19:22

I don't think animal husbandry is going to be a main concern in my declining years but I am very seriously considering the idea of selling up and moving to where property is way cheaper, even crossing the channel to France would do it at current values.
I've submitted my application to pay additional pension contributions and have worked out how much I need to save per month to buy a French house at today's prices - check back in 17 years time to see how I've got on.
Old 27th February 2015, 22:14

Mood
Tired

^
Spanish property prices have been absolutely plummeting for years now,. and still are.
Old 27th February 2015, 22:40

Mood
Dead

Start growing pot in your loft space, worst comes to the worst at if you end up in prison at least you won't have to worry about food and lodging. Best case you make enough for some world cruises.
Old 28th February 2015, 08:23

Mood
Balanced

Old 28th February 2015, 13:51

Growing pot and other forms of self suffiency are of interest when planning my retirement. I'm not keen on Spain, also I've heard tell of people buying properties only to have them confiscated by the Spanish government. Greece is an option though, I have lived there before and enjoyed it. Property prices there are ridiculously low but I'm not sure what the quality of life would be like for an aging single man.