SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th April 2021, 20:53

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Greta Thunberg: A Year To Change The World.

I have so much respect for Greta. Really dedicated to this topic, despite the abuse she has received. She’s not just an inspiration to climate change activists, but also to people with autism, as well as girls and young women. I work with children, and I’ve heard girls talking about her favourably many times now. I wonder if they would know or care as much about climate change if it wasn’t for Greta.

The documentary is fascinating itself, and it isn’t all about Greta but more what is happening to our climate. I know it’s all happening, but it’s quite depressing seeing what is happening.
Old 28th April 2021, 00:43

^ I shall be watching that. She is indeed an amazing young lady.

@ Nanuq - I watched The Rachel Divide last week.
It was certainly thought provoking and once you hear what a strange childhood she had it's not really surprising that she was somewhat confused when it came to her racial identity. I felt sad for her teenage son who just wanted an ordinary life where his mum wasn't constantly in the media spotlight.
Old 5th May 2021, 19:42

The first two episodes of the third series of Pose.

I'm glad it's back, but also glad it's ending. Only seven episodes too!
Old 6th May 2021, 00:16

Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist

Haven't seen it for aaaaages. Whole thing is up on youtube.

Old 6th May 2021, 12:29

The Godfather of Harlem

The actor playing Malcolm X looks more like Malcolm X than Malcolm X did himself, even down to bone structure and profile minutiae. Spooky SA-UK, spooky!
Old 6th May 2021, 12:59

Mood
Lucky

I can't find anything to watch apart from catching up on the latest series of HIGNFY.

It's mad to think with Prime, Netflix, and iPlayer there's nothing I can find to watch.

How do people find things to watch? Do you just try random stuff to see how it goes?

I did start watching the second series of Parks & Recreation as I heard it was better than the first, and although it was quite good/funny the creepy #metoo guy put me off and I don't think I can watch it.
Old 6th May 2021, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
I did start watching the second series of Parks & Recreation as I heard it was better than the first, and although it was quite good/funny the creepy #metoo guy put me off and I don't think I can watch it.
Louis C.K.? I haven't watched it since the stories about him came out. I thought he was only in the first season so was going to skip that if I ever rewatched it (a plus being that it's also not very good) but didn't realise he was in it later than that. I just checked and apparently after the first season he's only briefly in seasons 2 and 4 - it didn't feel like that much at the time.

Most of the shows I decide to watch are from reading reviews and seeing what looks good, others from what friends, family or anyone I talked to online have suggested (after I've then read about them for myself). Usually I decide what I want to watch and then look into how I'm going to watch it, rather than scrolling through streaming service lists trying to see what stands out. That approach always seems to take a long time and end in disappointment.
Old 6th May 2021, 13:28

Anyone else notice Esme's necklace on Sewing Bee last night?

Old 6th May 2021, 13:47

^^
I binned off GoT after two episodes, just not my thing, but the most unlikely people I know are/have been avid viewers, people who normally view the fantasy genre as utter bobbins.
Old 6th May 2021, 14:27

I almost gave up after the first couple of episodes of GoT too. It does get better towards the end of season one though, and then better and better for the next few seasons until the inevitable decline. I think the first season stands out as poor due to the combination of low budget and writing that fails at trying to set up all the pieces in a satisfying way. As soon as those are out of the way it's fine.

Apparently she made that necklace herself from hand sanitiser bottles and carabiners from the Sewing Bee crew. I just wanted her to open all the tops and spin around to paint a pattern over the floor I bet Prue Leith would buy one.
Old 6th May 2021, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Anyone else notice Esme's necklace on Sewing Bee last night?

How could anyone NOT notice it?

I like quirky but that went way beyond quirky. It's the most bizarre necklace I've ever seen. I kept thinking some of the lids would come off and she'd end up wearing a multicoloured outfit.
Old 7th May 2021, 06:32

^ *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Eleven...are you listening?

I hope it goes back to being released in October - darker evenings, spookier atmosphere lending itself nicely to the viewing experience.
Old 7th May 2021, 06:44
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Ooooooo Can't wait!!
Old 7th May 2021, 09:57

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Louis C.K.?
No, not him. But he was in the one I watched funnily enough which was a surprise as I wasn't expecting to see him on TV (I know he was in the show before wankgate broke).

But actually I meant Aziz Ansari. The fact that he plays a creepy character seemed to make it worse!

I know lots of people separate the "art" from the "artist" but I find it hard to watch/listen when the negative details about someone have been made public. My local radio keeps playing Michael Jackson and that turns my stomach!
Old 7th May 2021, 10:36

Mood
Bored

Eastbound & Down " Kenny f in Powers! "
Old 7th May 2021, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
No, not him. But he was in the one I watched funnily enough which was a surprise as I wasn't expecting to see him on TV (I know he was in the show before wankgate broke).

But actually I meant Aziz Ansari. The fact that he plays a creepy character seemed to make it worse!

I know lots of people separate the "art" from the "artist" but I find it hard to watch/listen when the negative details about someone have been made public. My local radio keeps playing Michael Jackson and that turns my stomach!
Ah, I completely forgot he was in it!

Yeah, his period of disgrace was very brief and he seemed to get back into doing stand up quite quickly afterwards. I'm similar to you in that way and I would rather just avoid something that includes people who are confirmed to be awful, which isn't a problem at all when there are so many other things to watch. I guess what Ansari was reported to have done seems rather trivial compared to most other "cancelled" people though. The way the story was reported was strange anyway (with little details added that were irrelevant yet presented as if they meant something), but to me it sounded like nothing more than a date that ended badly due to the same kinds of assumptions and arrogance that would be seen anywhere else. She consented to some things and didn't consent to something else, which was respected and then she went home and was asked if she was okay the next day, after which she looked back on her experience with regret.

It's definitely something people could learn from in terms of examining their own behaviour around others (which it seems like he's hopefully done), but it just doesn't feel like it's something that can be compared to what people like Louis C.K did (who, despite his awful behaviour, has spent the last couple of years working again while being praised by loads of his contemporaries!). I loved Ansari's Master of None - both seasons came out before the story was reported - and thought I would never watch a third season because the whole thing did leave a sour taste despite trying to view things fairly. I didn't even know he was making another, but I just looked it up and it starts in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not yet, although apparently the new season is co-written by Lena Waithe and focuses on her character instead, and she was my favourite part of the other two seasons, so... yeah, I don't know.
Old 7th May 2021, 14:51

Mood
Lucky

Yeah I agree. What he did wasn't at the worst end of the spectrum and the way it was reported wasn't quite right. Maybe he shouldn't be cancelled forever and people are allowed to be forgiven but I don't have to watch it, especially as this is my first encounter with him. Or something like that...

I really liked Louis CK so found that harder to deal with. I never watched any of this stuff after it came out but I'm confused about how I feel about it so I just stay away which is a bit of a cop out but I don't really want the moral quandary of watching his stuff and having to take a stance on what that means eg am I condoning his behavior etc.
Old 7th May 2021, 19:09

The Flight Attendant
Old 8th May 2021, 00:06

Mood
Bored

Line of doody
Old 11th May 2021, 20:18

The Brit Awards

So pleased that Arlo Parks won

Love love love love LOVE the Elton and Years and Years collaboration.
Old 12th May 2021, 18:02
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Snowfall.
Old 12th May 2021, 20:52

^ I binned Snowfall after three episodes, almost completely due to the irritating actor who plays the CIA guy. His portrayal just felt so hammy and unrealistic, his acting range limited to frowning with his jaw hanging half-open in most scenes.

The Godfather of Harlem, focusing on a similar theme in the 1960s, by contrast, I am very much enjoying. Is filling the post-Ozark hole.
Old 13th May 2021, 21:08

Leigh-Anne: Race, Pop & Power
Old 14th May 2021, 18:25
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
^ I binned Snowfall after three episodes, almost completely due to the irritating actor who plays the CIA guy. His portrayal just felt so hammy and unrealistic, his acting range limited to frowning with his jaw hanging half-open in most scenes.
Well, I enjoy it! I never would have guessed that the main actor, Damson Idris, is British! His accent is so good! Mind you, The Wire (which Snowfall is obviously influenced by) was similar in having British actors like Idris Elba and Dominic West playing central roles.

It's into its fourth series now - that guy you hate has a less prominent role in the later series.
Old 14th May 2021, 19:54

Mood
Alienated

Johnny Vegas: Carry on Glamping.

Follows Vegas as he creates a glamping site using old buses and fire engines. I love all the mechanical side of this, and it’s funny too! Vegas is just as likeable as I thought he would be.
Old 15th May 2021, 11:04

Davina McCall: Sex, Myths and the Menopause.

Only got half way through this because she appeared to be hailing HRT as the miracle drug for 40/50 something women. Well, it didn't help me

Should have known better, as another of Davina's programmes always seem to exaggerate the positives and ignore the negatives is Long Lost Families. While everything is great for some, others (me) virtually had the door slammed in their face.
Old 15th May 2021, 13:15

Mood
Lucky

To be honest, looking to Davina McCall for health and relationship advice was never going to end well!
Old 15th May 2021, 16:24

^
Old 15th May 2021, 16:42

Mood
Cynical

^^^ Oh dear, I know it can make a big difference to some women but you have to find exactly the right one. If you're wealthy and famous you probably have a lot more options of doctors and private clinics you can go to too!
Old 15th May 2021, 18:39

The Leicester and Chelsea match. Wooo, Leicester