SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th May 2019, 16:56
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Other Personality Disorders

Out of curiosity has anyone on the forum got a diagnoses of either Avoident Personality Disorder or Schizoid Personality Disorder?

As in a formal diagnosis from a shrink or Psychologist etc... ? rather than just self diagnosed.
Old 16th May 2019, 18:10

Default Re: Other Personality Disorders

Not an official diagnosis, no. But I am convinced I have an avoidant personality disorder. So far as I know, you rarely get one PD on its own. Instead, if you have one, you are also likely to have traits from those most closely related. In my case, I have traits of the Avoidant, Dependent and Paranoid PDs.
Old 18th May 2019, 22:33

it's all labels. AvPD probably goes along with social anxiety, like avoidance to feel anxiety and stuff.
Old 14th August 2019, 20:00

I was diagnosed with avoidant personality by a psychologist.

As a side issue I once rang the Samaritans and said I’d been dxd with this and I received a completely different (and less helpful) response than the other time I rang them and said I had SA and GAD (I’m not sure which of their labels are accurate..)

I think complex PTSD might be worth looking into...there’s a book by Pete Walker on this (I don’t think it’s much diagnosed in this country )
Old 14th August 2019, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles88
i think many people with sa have avoidant personality disorder
Ah but is it really always avoidant personality disorder, or are people sometimes labelled with this if the therapy doesn’t “cure” the SA?
Old 15th August 2019, 00:57

Isn't Avoidant Personality Disorder (APD) just Social Anxiety (SA) that has become at its most debilitating

I mean, if someone experiences crippling anxiety when interacting with others it's hardly surprising if they start to AVOID the situations that cause them discomfort. I always (probably wrongly) assumed that APD is SA at its worst - in the same way that I thought SA is Shyness at its worst?

I was diagnosed years ago as suffering with a phobic anxiety disorder (SA) but I have never officially been diagnosed as having an APD although I'm certain I would fit all the criteria.
Personally, I HATE labels so I haven't or wouldn't bother to seek another one out although I can understand why some people might want to do so.

From what I can gather, from looking on the internet, both SA and APD are treated with exactly the same kind of therapies and if not 100% curable can be reduced to such an extent that the individuals life is no longer dominated by SA and is on a par to the anxiety the majority of the population feel in certain situations.

I find it all rather confusing if I'm being honest
Old 15th August 2019, 17:17

I also think labels can be very unhelpful at times.. but sometimes they can help us if they are accurate (and we know where to look for help which isn’t always easy..). I think Avpd is a severe form of SA, but maybe also has deeper origins than some people with SA have (but I’m not an expert) .. I know I was labelled as “withdrawn” by teachers from when I started school at 4 and that hadn’t really changed when I left at 17.
Old 15th August 2019, 21:21

^ That makes a lot of sense Bluebear. Thanks for explaining