SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th February 2024, 13:01

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

This didn't happen today - it was on Wednesday, but I forgot to post it - and it's hardly an achievement, but it was a big thing for me.

On Wednesday evening, I was picked up from my hotel by a coach to be taken to Enfidha-Hammamet airport; the coach stops at several hotels, of which mine was the first, so by the time it departed the last hotel, I'd already been on the coach for well over an hour. It was a little while after that that I realised I needed the loo and my bladder (especially as I advance in years) sometimes goes from mild need to desperate within a relatively short space of time and this was one of those occasions. The coach was still twenty minutes from the airport when I got out of my seat, went to the front of the coach and told the EasyJet rep that I couldn't wait until we reached the airport. The coach stopped, I got out and did what I needed to do (which seemed to take forever), with 50+ people who were waiting to reach the airport knowing what I was doing (I was behind a bush, but it was still embarrassing).

This was the first time I had ever done something like that; not so long ago, I would have risked having an "accident" rather than draw attention to myself in that way, so in retrospect, I feel quite proud of doing it. I did apologise to everyone as I made my way back to my seat (of course, I was sitting towards the back, just to add to my shame) but everyone was very understanding and it actually started conversations with the people near me, which was fortunate as not only would I be in the vicinity of these people for the remainder of the coach journey, but also the two-and-a-half hours spent at the airport and the three hours' flight back to Luton. It took me twenty minutes to pluck up the courage to ask for the coach to be stopped, but I'd now feel a lot more confident in doing the same again (should the need ever arise) as soon as I realised I had an issue.
Old 11th February 2024, 14:04

Mood
Cynical

^ Well done! That's a difficult thing to do but necessary as you say (shame there wasn't a toilet on the coach!) I'm sure a lot of people have been in very similar situations, or have waited and actually had an accident in similar circumstances which must be very embarrassing.
Old 13th February 2024, 12:37

I signed up for some friendship "blind date" thing a few weeks ago run by the East/SE Asian women's group I'm in, where they pair local people up with women who have moved here from Hong Kong recently. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't realise I'd be so anxious when I got matched up with someone last week and knew nothing more than her name and where/when we were meeting. It turned out to be fine in the end, we had dim sum for lunch and then just walked around some shops for a while, but it was great, she was lovely and very chatty. We've arranged to meet up for lunch again in a couple of weeks and I've put my name down to be matched with someone else too.
Old 14th February 2024, 12:49

^For me that's brave. But I'm so afraid of rejection.
Old 18th February 2024, 08:06

@greg - wow that's a high intensity anxiety situation. Good on ya for asking to go. I'd be doing that thing where I say to myself, "Count down from 10 and then go and ask... 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,5,4,3,2,1, GO!" and repeat that countdown about 8 times before working up the nerve to then go and ask.... and probably never ask.

^^ that is such a lovely, lovely idea.

^ that can be a scary thought, but to miss out because of fear of rejection is to risk missing out on acceptance as well.
Old 18th February 2024, 12:18

^^^ That's great, Jen, so glad you got along together. I hope the next one is a good fit too.

^ I didn't actually do a countdown, but I opened Google Maps to see how far we were from the airport and tried to convince myself I could actually make it (I might have done, if it weren't for the speed bumps ).
Old 18th February 2024, 15:48

^ oh cripes!

Needing a wee + speed bumps = puddle for sure

Here is your complimentary cheese for completing an SA challenge:

Old 18th February 2024, 15:55

^ That is an excellent cheeseboard. I may have to recreate that in real life.
Old 18th February 2024, 16:02

To me it's absolute chaos

I was trying to find the least offensive one - I like that the olives are kept in a separate bowl. Others had salami touching things and tainting the cheeses and breads with its taste.
Old 18th February 2024, 16:10

^ I agree that it's a little chaotic (I'd present mine differently) and I'm not sure about the grapes being in contact with the cheese, but it's a good variety of cheeses and I like the presence of the grapes, olives, different types of cracker etc. (I'd have cranberry sauce there too, works so well with soft cheeses). I don't believe that salami has any place on a cheese board.

This is the "Create your perfect cheese board" thread, right?
Old 18th February 2024, 16:15

Haha I actually have made that thread in the past
Old 18th February 2024, 17:06

Mood
Lurking

I managed to get the dealer to take an extra £1k off the price of the new car I ordered on top of the £2250 manufacturer extra deposit through the PCP agreement.

Then I told him that I will withdraw from the agreement a couple of days after I sign the paperwork and pick up the car, so that all I will have to pay is the balance of the car and a couple of days interest, instead of 2.5k in interest. And he said that's fine by him, as he has got his commission anyway for the sale.