SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th June 2010, 14:20

Mood
Dead

Post Celebrities with mental illness

I never knew so many celebs had bipolar disorder (I know its not sa) but its good to know we are not alone battling mental illnesses, does anyone know of any celebrities with sa?
Old 27th June 2010, 14:29

Default Re: Celebrities with mental illness

Quite a few celebrities are reclusives, possibly due to a form of social anxiety caused by overexposure to the public, like Morrissey for example. He always seems shy and distant in interviews too. But of course most celebs will be confident as that's how they got there in the first place. I doubt many people get famous from being anxious around people otherwise I'd be mega famous by now.
Old 27th June 2010, 14:33

Mood
Woot

The dude from the stone temple pilots/velvet revolver has SA, I think (don't quote me on that, lol)
Old 27th June 2010, 14:33

Mood
Blah

I often wondered if Paul Scholes the footballer had SA as he never gave interviews and hates doing them, perhaps hes just private.. tho hes shy talking to people or cameras it seems but not shy to perform on the pitch.

You're woman who played steve mc donalds mum in corrie was in the piory recently for depression and she got the electric shock treatment thing and said it worked for her though it was horrific.. sometimes I feel like I'd like to try it! a friends dad got it done as hes scarred with mental problems following his job as a prison officer during the height of northern irelands troubles, it didnt work for him..
Old 27th June 2010, 14:38

Mood
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniX
I often wondered if Paul Scholes the footballer had SA as he never gave interviews and hates doing them, perhaps hes just private.. tho hes shy talking to people or cameras it seems but not shy to perform on the pitch.

You're woman who played steve mc donalds mum in corrie was in the piory recently for depression and she got the electric shock treatment thing and said it worked for her though it was horrific.. sometimes I feel like I'd like to try it! a friends dad got it done as hes scarred with mental problems following his job as a prison officer during the height of northern irelands troubles, it didnt work for him..
Yea I heard about the electric shock treatment it sounds interesting I'd like to have it done but its probably to dear!
Old 27th June 2010, 20:52

Mood
Alienated

Yes Sir Laurence Olivier is supposed to have had SA, and I have also heard that Dina Carroll and Daryl Hannah are sufferers. I read an article once about Daryl having social anxiety, although if you google it the consensus seems more to be that it is agoraphobia with some social anxiety symptoms.

One celeb I know of who has actually came out and talked about it openly is Donny Osmond! You can read about it here - http://socialanxietydisorder.about.c...onnyosmond.htm

So we are not alone!!
Old 27th June 2010, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalCrackers
Dina Carroll
Random!
Old 28th June 2010, 01:06

I read that Richard Hammond developed SA after the accident in the jet car, but it was only short-term.
Old 28th June 2010, 12:43

That's a shame, I could've done without seeing his irritating face on TV for awhile.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIan
That's a shame, I could've done without seeing his irritating face on TV for awhile.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:28

Richard Hammond used to be cute but he now looks like the son of Nick Cave or someone with that strange hairstyle. And of course Nick Cave is the son of Frankenstein.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:48

Aww, no The Hamster is such a cutie!

and top gear's a v. entertaining show.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:22

Mood
Lurking

fabio capello has a mental illness im sure, bringing heskey on to when we needed to score? surely a sane person would never have done such a thing.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
maybe not sa but kenneth williams was apparently a very lonely guy
A number of the old comedians were lonely or had sad lives - in fact just about all the Carry On stars had troubled lives. I imagine some of them would have been quite difficult to get on with, I know Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey hated each other in that bitchy way.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:30

Mood
Musical

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
maybe not sa but kenneth williams was apparently a very lonely guy
I heard he struggled a lot with self confidence
Old 30th June 2010, 16:14

Mood
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
fabio capello has a mental illness im sure, bringing heskey on to when we needed to score? surely a sane person would never have done such a thing.
Haha that made me laugh
Old 1st July 2010, 09:22

Mood
Stressed

Marcus Trescothick suffers/suffered from anxiety, particularly when away from home. I have his book about his troubles with international cricket etc but haven't read it yet!
Old 1st July 2010, 12:24

Mood
Sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
Richard Hammond used to be cute but he now looks like the son of Nick Cave or someone with that strange hairstyle. And of course Nick Cave is the son of Frankenstein.
Yeah I prefered Richard with his hair cut really short. He looks trampy looking now. lol
Old 1st July 2010, 18:56

Mood
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka
Yeah I prefered Richard with his hair cut really short. He looks trampy looking now. lol
Back to the subject please! lol
Old 7th July 2010, 14:39

Mood
Worried

Sia Furler has all but quit the music industry - stopped doing live shows, and possibly recording full stop, because of anxiety and PTSD. Reading her twitter feed brings tears to my eyes...
Old 7th July 2010, 21:05

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holz
Sia Furler has all but quit the music industry - stopped doing live shows, and possibly recording full stop, because of anxiety and PTSD. Reading her twitter feed brings tears to my eyes...
I didn't know that. That's really sad to hear
Old 14th August 2011, 22:12

Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network) has spoken about his anxiety in several interviews. It's nice to see that he has a sense of humour about it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h9G_UF0Bq0

He also speaks pretty candidly about his OCD. http://www.movieline.com/2009/09/jes...g.php?page=all
Old 14th August 2011, 22:22

Mood
Thinking

^Strangely he does seem to play the anxious characters a little too well.
I've always thought Richard Ashcroft looked like he had a mental health problem.
As ever, google provides the answers..
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...llness_1150946
Old 14th August 2011, 23:17

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
What?? She's my favourite vocalist, she always seemed so lovely and down to earth. Damn that's sad
Old 14th August 2011, 23:29

Mood
Dreaming

There's a fair amount of bi polar types out there. But its actually getting to me that bi polar is starting to become 'fashionable' , like its some gateway to being noticed or somehow makes what you do more deserving. I remember Catherine Zeta Jones coming out saying she had it and I was talking with this lass in a coffee shop, who also had it - a lot more aggressive than mine, about it and both agreed that the more celebrities announce they have it the more it the more they can cash in on it. Its a serious problem for many and the way some celebs have used it as a commodity draws away from the actual humanity behind the condition.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:38

I had CBT last year and my therapist said that George Clooney suffers from social anxiety. I'm not too sure about that but there you go!
Old 14th August 2011, 23:42

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTKsaucex
There's a fair amount of bi polar types out there. But its actually getting to me that bi polar is starting to become 'fashionable' , like its some gateway to being noticed or somehow makes what you do more deserving. I remember Catherine Zeta Jones coming out saying she had it and I was talking with this lass in a coffee shop, who also had it - a lot more aggressive than mine, about it and both agreed that the more celebrities announce they have it the more it the more they can cash in on it. Its a serious problem for many and the way some celebs have used it as a commodity draws away from the actual humanity behind the condition.
Funny you should mention Catherine Zeta Jones but some T4 presenter got in trouble for saying it was probably just the menopause
Old 14th August 2011, 23:44
Banned

Quote:
She got diagnosed with Grave's disease and attributed her previous symptoms of panic attacks to that i read but is back touring i heard after getting her health better.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:55

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Funny you should mention Catherine Zeta Jones but some T4 presenter got in trouble for saying it was probably just the menopause
Jamella Jamil. Yeah I remember. She made a good point that hormone problems have been wrongfully diagnosed with bi polar. I'm not fussed about jokes made about the condition. If one controversial subject is taboo, all of it is in my books.
Old 15th August 2011, 00:26

Mood
Insomnious

Shy/Socially Phobic Celebrities & Everyday People

Closed Thread