SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2010, 14:50

Mood
Worried

Default Ok so I know this has been asked 1000 times before (GPs)

Firstly, I haven't been on here for way too long, sorry. I've been busy with uni, and if I'm honest trying to distance myself from here in a bid to 'forget' my anxiety. Well, it didn't work, so I'm back.

Three events in the past 5 days, plus having counselling which was essential for my uni course, has finally convinced me that I need to find out about medication. I've said this before, but this is the most serious I've been about booking an appointment.

Basically, we start client work in October at uni, ie, me seeing real people and attempting to make a half decent counsellor. If I carry on the way I am I may as well quit now, because not only will I fail the course but I'll be risking having a huge negative effect on my clients. I really, really don't want to, and can't afford to in both senses of the word, quit the course or take time out, really. And anyway, I don't want to. So, now that I've got until 20th September before I even have to go back to uni, and another month after that before client work starts, I figured now would be a good a time as ever to try to sort this out so I can actually speak to people.

Anyway, rant aside, if I were to go to see a GP, having no medical history of anxiety or depression or anything, and tell them the situation and that I wanted to be prescribed some kind of anti-anxiety medication, what would be my chances of getting it? I know full well how bloody useless most GPs are, and I really don't want to get fobbed off with counselling (says the counselling student!)

The other option I considered was buying something online, but just looking at the list of different drugs made my head spin, and seeing as I have zero medical knowledge I'd rather not go down that route in case something didn't agree with me, or I took too much or whatever.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:21

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Ok so I know this has been asked 1000 times before (GPs)

Please don't buy drugs online. I often thought about that before I first went to the doctor, but although he was not the most useful or considerate one I have ever spoken to about my anxiety, he was quite happy to prescribe beta-blockers, which can help with the physical symptoms and I am pretty sure any other doctor will if you explain, even without any history. I only went to the doctor after I finsihed uni.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:08

Mood
Worried

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Cats

I was working full time and my work were paying for me to do a degree. As part of the degree, I was on a placement that started in February, where I had to be observed working with people and feedback given on my progress. i didn't have great relationships with staff at my placement to be honest, but being under scrutiny caused my SA to flare up considerably and eventually, due to bad relations and my anxiety, the placement was withdrawn at the start of June, so I have to do the whole thing again next february.
This is exactly what I can see happening to me. We have to record all our client sessions and play samples to our supervisor. A few sessions of me jabbering like a wreck and I'll be off the course before I can say anxiety. Bugger....
Old 7th July 2010, 16:45

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holz
Thanks for the replies

This is exactly what I can see happening to me. We have to record all our client sessions and play samples to our supervisor. A few sessions of me jabbering like a wreck and I'll be off the course before I can say anxiety. Bugger....
I used to worry that i would never be able to teach a large class of students since i knew i had quite bad SA in social situations . But when i actually came to try it I found it was soon MUCH easier than i thought . I'm sure this was because I knew my subject and so the situation was not really like a social occasion where you have to think things up on the spot. It is not like a conversation even when youre asking the students for feedback.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:46

Mood
Lurking

Hi Holz,

I wish you well with the counselling course.
I'm a counsellor too, and went through much the same anxieties as you are feeling now. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd have got through without medication. That's purely a personal opinion, so I'm not saying others should follow suit or anything.

I was already on SSRI medication (antidepressants) before I started out on counselling courses. I only managed to get into college because the meds stabilised me to an extent. I was still anxious, but I could function.

Talking this over with your GP would be a good idea. If you feel that your anxiety is jeopardising your course (your future) then your GP should take notice. It's obvious that your anxiety is debilitating you to an extent, and that needs to be addressed. I know people have to weigh up the pros and cons of being on medication, but if you feel that you need them, and your GP agrees, now would be a good time to start. Some meds, as I'm sure you know, take time to settle in to your system and become effective. So better to start them well before you are back in college and working in your placement.

I'd avoid the online meds, personally. I think it best to get proper advice and supervision from a GP.

I don't find being on meds ideal. But trial and error has shown me that I do need meds to stabilise me or it all goes belly up. I gave going on them a lot of thought beforehand, and I think everyone should consider the possibilities before taking them. For some, they can be a bugger to get off, and of course, there are side-effects. I think that if you can function without them, do so. But if you feel you can't. It's your call. I'd definitely talk it over with my GP if I were you.

Good luck with everything.
Closed Thread