SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th May 2010, 22:20

Mood
Alienated

Default Any other Phobias?

Do you have any other phobias apart from people and social situations?

I have an odd one - it's for things underwater. I don't mean living things I mean submerged cables, pipes and other obstacles. Lock gates and dams make me feel uneasy.

The thing I hate most of all are the filters and grates in the bottoms of swimming pools. They scare the living daylights out of me! They frighten me even if I can see little kids standing on them quite happily.

Swimming pool drains have had this effect on me ever since I was very small. A couple of months ago I decided to search the internet to reassure myself that no-one ever got hurt by one of these things.

I shouldn't have done that. You see, there's this thing called transanal evisceration (Google that at your own risk) that happens (albeit rarely) when someone sits on a pool drain. Chuck Palahniuk has written a jolly little tale about it called "Guts" - it's available to read online but be warned: allegedly 60 people fainted whilst listening to Palahniuk read the story whilst on tour.

I may never go swimming again!

Anyone else with an unusual phobia?
Old 25th May 2010, 22:24

Default Re: Any other Phobias?

I have a huge fear of bugs, I know thats not unusual. I do have really bad panic attacks and get hysterical. I hate it and would love to get it sorted out one day, it does have a big effect on my life I think.

I used to have a phobia of food as a child. I had to go to the childrens hospital from the age of 6 months as I wouldn't eat anything and I was losing weight. I hardly ate any variety of food for 17 years. At the age of 17 was when I started to try more things and face the fear and I have, I think, finally gotten over it, near enough. I'm so glad, it effected my SA aswell because of being embarrassed to eat infront of people and stuff.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:29

Mood
Fine

I'm afraid of bees and wasps, due to the fact I've been stung by them so many times. I'm also slightly afraid of heights, but only when climbing up/ on unstable man made structures. I'm completely fine if I have to climb a tree or on a massive rock/ cliff.

Also, I don't so much fear prawns and penut butter, but I'm always worried about eating them, because they make me have stomach convulsions, pass out, then throw up. (Yes, I know, lovely)
Old 25th May 2010, 22:31

Mood
Happy

Cows
Old 25th May 2010, 23:36

I'm emetophobic - fear of vomiting

I used to think it was unusual but apparently it's one of the most common phobias.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:41

Mood
Mellow

Snakes (or reptiles with freaky long tongues and sharp fangs).
Small spaces. (Claustrophobia I guess, specifically I hate having my head covered from above).
Putting my head under water. (I so would love to do scuba diving though but I even struggle to do snorkelling ).
Driving at heights, as in mountain/hill roads with sheer drops on the side.
Poo.
Speaking.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:41
Banned

heights can't even watch some one high up on tv it makes my palms sweat instantly. my neighbour seems to find it amusing to tell me all about his rock climbing weekends where he camps out on the cliff face over night. my palms have just started to sweat just from writing this post. i couldn't read blackmambas abseiling thread.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:48
mousey

Escalators
Old 25th May 2010, 23:53

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant

I have an odd one - it's for things underwater. I don't mean living things I mean submerged cables, pipes and other obstacles. Lock gates and dams make me feel uneasy.

The thing I hate most of all are the filters and grates in the bottoms of swimming pools. They scare the living daylights out of me! They frighten me even if I can see little kids standing on them quite happily.

Swimming pool drains have had this effect on me ever since I was very small. A couple of months ago I decided to search the internet to reassure myself that no-one ever got hurt by one of these things.
Did you hear about that english kid who got sucked into the swimming pool duct in Thailand?? Tragic story. His dad tried to get help off the lifeguards but they wouldn't believe him so he drowned

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-goggles.html

The only phobia I think I might have I experienced whilst snorkelling. I'd gone out on a dinghy a couple of hundred metres off a beach in the med. I went down with my snorkel to swim about but I lasted all of a minute. I freaked out majorly when I was under because there was nothing there. It was just a huge expanse of nothing, just the sea bed and the sea and the water was a bit murky. I just felt really vulnerable and panicky.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:57

Mood
Fine

The sea scares the **** out of me too, or rather the idea of being stranded in it.... just because I'd be so out of control, there'd be nothing I could do apart from sit and wait and hope someone rescued me.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-1
The sea scares the **** out of me too, or rather the idea of being stranded in it.... just because I'd be so out of control, there'd be nothing I could do apart from sit and wait and hope someone rescued me.
I love swimming in the sea and snorkelling but will admit sometimes it gives me the willies, like when something brushes against my leg or something big or dark suddenly appears right beside you in your peripheral vision, a turtle, sea lion, shark, eagle ray or whatever, ha ha. I love snorkelling and could stay down for half an hour at a time without raising my face above the surface. I'm a real water baby.

I agree with the murky water thing. I was off the coast of Thailand (though it was actually, Langkawi, a Malaysian island we were on) and the sea was very cloudy, though it didn't stop me swimming. I found out upon returning home that tiger sharks were popular in that area and may swim right up to the shore.

Also in the amazon, I wondered what would happen if the wee boat just capsized. It was the not knowing what was lurking in the murky water below that was kinda spooky.

Hey, it all just adds to the adventure, right?
Old 26th May 2010, 00:35

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Palmer
I love swimming in the sea and snorkelling but will admit sometimes it gives me the willies, like when something brushes against my leg or something big or dark suddenly appears right beside you in your peripheral vision, a turtle, sea lion, shark, eagle ray or whatever, ha ha.

I agree with the murky water thing. I was off the coast of Thailand (though it was actually, Langkawi, a Malaysian island we were on) and the sea was very murky, though it didn't stop me swimming. I found out on return that tiger sharks were popular in that area and may swim right up to the shore.

Also in the amazon, I wondered what would happen if the wee boat just capsized. It was the not knowing what was lurking in the murky water below that was kinda spooky.

Hey, it all just adds to the adventure, right?
wow it sounds like uve seen alot of the world , i really wish i had the courage to do what uve done, ive only ever been to spain and greece lol and they were just the normal package holidays nothing adventurous , although my dad recently inherited a house on the coast of south africa and when i feel up2 it i want to go there
Old 26th May 2010, 00:40

Mood
Mellow

I really love swimming in the sea also as it feels natural and more pleasant in salt water than a pool of chemicals. I tend to hate swimming near seaweed though as I think there's going to be something like an eel or sea snake going to pop up and eat me alive. I just wish I could feel comfortable and relaxed putting my head under water.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequiet1
wow it sounds like uve seen alot of the world , i really wish i had the courage to do what uve done, ive only ever been to spain and greece lol and they were just the normal package holidays nothing adventurous , although my dad recently inherited a house on the coast of south africa and when i feel up2 it i want to go there
Most of it was in one trip, otherwise it's been holidays with my folks. Hey, there's nothing wrong with Spain or Greece, btw.

South Africa, eh? Wow, that would be cool. I'd like to do the cage diving with the great white sharks, but don't know if I'd have the bottle to go through with it. One of my brother's mates did it last year while he was working over there, and just said it was insane! It would certainly be shit-scary but a totally amazing experience. Yes, I am a nutter
Old 26th May 2010, 00:44

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant

I shouldn't have done that. You see, there's this thing called transanal evisceration (Google that at your own risk) that happens (albeit rarely) when someone sits on a pool drain. Chuck Palahniuk has written a jolly little tale about it called "Guts" - it's available to read online but be warned: allegedly 60 people fainted whilst listening to Palahniuk read the story whilst on tour.

I may never go swimming again!

Anyone else with an unusual phobia?
Bloody hell never thought i'd find someone else with this phobia.

Although it's not as bad these days, i'm still very much aware when I go swimming. From the age of 11-15 was its most severe. I use to only swim in certain parts of my local pool.

I think what triggered it was hearing of someone who nearly drowned from a badly maintained pool when I was around 11 years old.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:54

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Palmer
Most of it was in one trip, otherwise it's been holidays with my folks. Hey, there's nothing wrong with Spain or Greece, btw.

South Africa, eh? Wow, that would be cool. I'd like to do the cage diving with the great white sharks, but don't know if I'd have the bottle to go through with it. One of my brother's mates did it last year while he was working over there, and just said it was insane! It would certainly be shit-scary but a totally amazing experience.
yeah i think it would be cool over there , my dad just got back from a six month stay and he never stops going on about how good it is , i had the chance to go with him but my SA stopped me , i regret it now becuase maybe doing something big like that could sort my head out, i just got back from majorca last month and that 1 week holiday got me out of a rut so 6 months , who knows how helpfull that could have been

i dont think i will have a problem with the sharks , ppl scare me more than sharks haha
Old 26th May 2010, 01:01

I'm not keen on heights but it depends on the circumstances. I've been to the top of very high cranes and it didn't bother me but put me on top of some cliffs and I'll get the heebee-geebies.

Also scared of bees and wasps (is that a phobia or just common sense?)
Old 26th May 2010, 01:05
mousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
i'm scared of wasps. my son stood in a wasps nest when he was picking blackberries and was stung hundreds of times
Old 26th May 2010, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey
i'm scared of wasps. my son stood in a wasps nest when he was picking blackberries and was stung hundreds of times
Ooo, not nice
Old 26th May 2010, 01:06

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
I'm not keen on heights but it depends on the circumstances. I've been to the top of very high cranes and it didn't bother me but put me on top of some cliffs and I'll get the heebee-geebies.

heights is a funny 1 for me , i dont mind heights but im completly scared of high edges , like looking over the balcony in a hotel , even watching some1 on tv leaning over an edge gives me the shivers
Old 26th May 2010, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequiet1
heights is a funny 1 for me , i dont mind heights but im completly scared of high edges , like looking over the balcony in a hotel , even watching some1 on tv leaning over an edge gives me the shivers
Yeah, same here
Old 26th May 2010, 08:44
Banned (at own request)

lifts , spiders , cars , buses , trains (any mode of transport)
Old 26th May 2010, 19:44

most big dogs but especially greyhounds
Old 26th May 2010, 20:01

Sharks, Clowns, China dolls, Bridges...
Old 26th May 2010, 20:21

Lightning (despite being in awe of it and finding it brilliant to watch on film). In the daytime as long as I'm prepared I'm fairly o.k just go indoors but if it happens at night laid in bed I don't know why but I feel like a target..

My fear of heights isn't so bad as it was when I was younger, I'm o.k in a building with glass windows standing looking out I can reason most of the time that I am secure, if it was a more precarious situation like a high narrow walkway, or a safe but exposed feeling position an open stairway like the Eiffel Tower if you walk up, or a high ladder I think I would still get vertigo.

Internal medical procedures/operations, pain.

Large Spiders give me the heebie jeebies (sp), poor spideys, (even so I will force myself to get a glass and card and take them out if not too freaked out) and not to keen on daddy long legs just because they seem to lack direction.. (I could make a joke about myself here but I won't )
Old 26th May 2010, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula
most big dogs but especially greyhounds
Did you have a bad experience Ursula? I've always had a fondness for greyhounds the ones I've known have had lovely natures though.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:16

Willow, yes I had a very bad experience as a couple of greyhounds killed my cat. I have always been scared of big dogs and my phobia has gone a bit out of control since that happened last year. I have a new cat now(the one on my avatar). Luckily she doesn't like going outdoors so I don't have to worry.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:07

Sorry to hear that. I can understand that not helping your fear.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:13

Mood
Worried

Feet. Not sure why. Not even sure if it's a proper fear. I just really get nervous around people with their feet out and I can't have my feet out... in public. It's ok at home but I don't wear open toed shoes and shake a bit when I go barefoot anywhere outside. Gonna be difficult on holiday this year as I've just been a brave girl and bought some flip flops =-s
Closed Thread