SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th November 2015, 17:16

Mood
Tired

Default An observation about drinking and anxious thoughts in social situations

Is anyone familiar with that situation where you don't know what to say, don't know how to approach people yet at the same time, your mind begins to race with thoughts such as 'they'll think I'm anti-social', 'they'll think I'm weird'?

I have found that drinking sometimes makes these thoughts WORSE and more difficult to identify. Last night, I stuck to shandy and stayed pretty much sober. These thoughts were far less powerful than they have been at other times I've been in that same situation.

Sometimes when the above types of thoughts show up in social situations, they can lead on to other thoughts, such as how hopeless it is to make friends, how unattractive you are etc. A bit like a chain. which only serves to upset you.

Now, what I've discovered is my mind is more likely to start to run-away with a stream of negative, upsetting, inhibiting thoughts like that.

ALso, I should mention a thing about hangovers and anxiety.
I recall similar events I've been to when I've been hungover. Sometimes being hungover can put the negative thoughts and anxiety into overdrive, other times not so.

Anyone else made similar observations about drinking?
Old 19th November 2015, 17:21

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: An observation about drinking and anxious thoughts in social situations

I actually find my SA is better after i've had a few drinks. It doesn't go away completely, I still have the moments of 'am I being too loud? Did I just accidentally talk over someone? Do they think i'm a twat?' and for this reason I never get really drunk, just a bit merry. I'm a happy drunk and find my wit.

It's too easy to reply on it in social situations though, so I am very careful never to drink 2 nights in a row and never more than once or twice a week. I am a potential alcoholic keeping a very tight rein on myself while loving a drink, especially on a friday night