SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd January 2016, 19:51

Default Joining a club

Im joining a swimming club this year. My swimming level is fairly average, and I cant go underneath the water, however I need to get back into swimming , as its a really great way to keep fit.

Anyone else belong to a club?
Old 2nd January 2016, 19:58

Mood
Sweettooth

Default Re: Joining a club

I'd be too scared to join any sort of club but if you have the confidence to join the swimming club then I think that's brilliant and I'm sure it will not only benefit your fitness but your confidence too.
If I did have any confidence and could go out of the house alone I really have no idea what sort of club I would like to join.
Old 2nd January 2016, 22:55

I joined a tennis club a few months ago, and from a fitness aspect it's going very well.

It's something I really should have done years ago. I'd thought about joining for many years, but always put if off, largely as I was concerned with not knowing anyone and having no one to play.

The social aspect remains difficult though, and I have a habit of disappearing once the actual tennis has stopped when many of the others head for the bar.
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:14

Mood
Bashful

I want to join an MMA but too scared
Old 3rd January 2016, 16:17

I'm a member of a climbing/mountaineering club and it's definitely been very good for me in terms of social contact etc as well as climbing-wise. Was very scary joining but it's got easier, although I notice if I haven't done any club meets for a while it's harder to get to one (part of the beauty of a climbing club is sharing lifts to meets -> reduced chance of chickening out!).

Not sure if I'd get on with other types of club. Climbing clubs have quite specific aims and types of people that go. Quite like the idea of a swimming club but swimming does tend to be my chance to shut out the whole world and it is quite unsettling talking to people when not wearing my glasses.
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:39

Mood
Alienated

In my teenage years, I was in a swimming club and a trampolining club (by the persuasion of Mum). Since then, I've never been in a club, as much as I'd like to.

I looked at clubs to join at uni, but they were mostly sports-based, and I really do not like sports (despite what I did in my teenage years). There was quite a lad/ladette culture at my uni too, which certainly didn't appeal to me. If there was a photography, film or walking club I would have been interested.

I'm currently looking for something to do in my spare time to meet new people. I've attended 2 meetup.com events in London, so that's a start. But I would like to also join something more local. I looked at doing an evening photography course, but it was very expensive and about 2-3 hours a night which is a bit too much for me.

Hopefully I'll find something eventually.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:37

Mood
Balanced

@biscuits I didn't think it was possible for you to better your "eat ALL the biscuits" avatar, but I think you may have done it!
Old 6th January 2016, 13:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Dreaming

I've started my own weight loss group for women in my area; our first meet up is next week and I'm brickingggggg it!
Old 7th January 2016, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJones
I've started my own weight loss group for women in my area; our first meet up is next week and I'm brickingggggg it!
That's a great thing to have done. I hope it goes well

I'm not in any clubs as they scare me but I guess the gym is sort of a club. I can go when I want to and put my music on so it's not so scary
Old 7th January 2016, 03:31

If I could join a club I think it would do be good, esp if it was fitness related. Currently I'm only apart of the I can't sleep club lol.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:49

Got my first bike ride this Saturday with the local cycling club. Actually it's a sort of conglomerate of them all, for a charitable cause. Expecting rain and conversation