SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th December 2016, 10:41

Default How soon is too soon to quit your new job without it looking bad on your CV?

I left my old job for this new job. It's not that new actually, I started in July, but I want to leave this job to pursue my dream of not working here anymore.

How long do you think I'd have to stay here before I leave without it looking bad on my CV?

Is 6 months acceptable? Or would that look bad?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th December 2016, 10:49

Mood
Worried

Default Re: How soon is too soon to quit your new job without it looking bad on your CV?

You don't have to include dates on your CV. And if you do they don't have to be specific. You could just put "2016" ?

Plus it's not necessarily a bad thing to leave after a short time... it shows decisive action when you were in a situation that made you unhappy?
Old 8th December 2016, 10:57

Default Re: How soon is too soon to quit your new job without it looking bad on your CV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieLu
You don't have to include dates on your CV. And if you do they don't have to be specific. You could just put "2016" ?
Thanks. Yeah, I suppose I could be non-specific about dates on my CV, but with the job reference they ask for start date and leaving date of employment, I believe.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:07

I personally would say a year is the safest for it to look like you're not the flitting around type. Although, now I think about it, I think that's mostly about having different years for your start and end date. Luckily for you, now it's nearly the end of 2016, and I reckon writing July 2016 - January 2017 sounds so much better than July 2016 - December 2016. I mean, I know the people you're applying for jobs with can probably count, unfortunately, but I still think the different numbers helps you out.

So yeah, I'd say a year ideally but as long as you get yourself in to 2017 at least then go for it. It also depends on your previous employment. If you've had other jobs where you've stayed at for quite a while, and only one that's been shorter, then it shouldn't matter at all.

I think maybe you'll just have to be extra good at bullshitting your next job's interview but there's no way you'll be jobless forever because you only stayed at your last place for 6 months. I don't see it being a big deal at all.

Definitely worth leaving to achieve your dreams. I like that you dream big. "Not working there anymore" is some MLK inspired dreaming.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:32

You could just tell prospective employers that it is/was a six month contract? Would they actually check?
Old 8th December 2016, 20:24

Mood
Worried

^ I've done that before!
Old 9th December 2016, 21:34

I've had a bit of a quitting problem this year. To be honest I've just bullshitted my way forward, I even said I'd been travelling on one occasion as it was easier than the fairly complicated truth. Once you're in the door you're away.

This may be an awful example to follow but it worked for me. I suppose it depends where you're applying and how stringent their checks are.