SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th April 2007, 17:40

Default How do you cope?

I know this sounds stupid,
but ive got into the habit of making myself tired,by staying up late at night,so that i feel more confident being around other people.

The problem is i feel depressed and negative when im tired,but i do feel more confident,because i dont care what people are thinking of me so much.

It feels like a vicious circle,
I hate being tired all the time,but i dont know what else i can do,i fee like i cant cope.
Old 16th April 2007, 18:10

Default Re: How do you cope?

i get the reverse, if im tired i get nervous and edgy which makes my sa worse do u take any meds??
Old 16th April 2007, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NES-SKI
i get the reverse, if im tired i get nervous and edgy which makes my sa worse do u take any meds??
Same here, I find after a proper nights sleep I feel much more in control than if I am sleepy.

thequietone, I would recommend trying to get regular sleep as from what i have read irregular sleep patterns or not getting 6-8 hours sleep every night can take years off your life.
Old 16th April 2007, 18:41

TheQuietOne,

I can relate to what you're saying, though it seems to work both ways for me. When I'm really tired, I tend to get over emotional and paranoid and out of control. A little tired though, and I feel much better, cos as you say, I care less what people think of me. When you have loads of energy, I suppose there's more energy for overanalysis etc.

I sometimes used to drink loads of wine and feel better going into work the following day as I'd feel so physically shit, I only had the energy to focus on physically getting through the day. It was a miserable thing to admit, but the shitter I felt physically, the better I was mentally as I had no room to worry about anything else. I'm not so bad now, though I do quite enjoy the feeling a "slight" hangover gives (ie. a bit dazed) as my thoughts are slower and I'm generally more chilled and care less about things that usually worry me.

Sorry, am rambling, but just wanted to reply that I get where you're coming from and it has eased off for me a lot in the past few years; to the extent where I don't feel so shit that I have to suffer a hangover from hell and severe sleep deprivation to feel mentally better. Hopefully, this might be the case with you too in the near future!
Old 16th April 2007, 19:38

Yeah i do take meds,i take seroxat

Its like a vicious circle,i just noticed that it makes me feel less nervous,but it makes me feel down and depressed as well .

I know its not good for me but i dont know what else i can do,it feels like its the only way i can cope.
Old 16th April 2007, 20:10

If I am exhausted I think it makes my anxiety worse, but yes sometimes being tired I can feel less worried more in a pleasant dream state.
Old 16th April 2007, 20:35

I used to do that quite a lot when I was in my early 20s, for the same reasons you gave here. As I got older though, I found this no longer worked so well, most times I just feel crappy when I don't sleep enough, so I try to get my 8 hours whenever possible.

Sometimes it still helps to have little sleep though, when I am really terrified of something. For example I had a job interview last October, and there was a lot of pressure on me to actually get that job. That night I had next to no sleep, but I went to the interview reasonably calm and ended up landing the job.

I still wouldn't recommend this after all said and done though, or main goal should be to deal with our anxieties more calmly and not to daze them. But in emergencies, the sleep deprivation can sometimes still work for me.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:18

Being tired brings lots of introspection for me. I like to be fresh and alert otherwise the moods set in and I just can't be ar*ed doing anything and just couldn't give a stuff.
Closed Thread