SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th January 2007, 16:54

Default just a thought

Just a thought that worries me,does anyones voice,walk,posture or facial expression change when they are in the company of people they don't feel comfortable with? My voice seems to be deeper and i mumble alot,when i am walking it seems akward and my feet are not in time with one another.....my posture is slumped over and stiff and i can't seem to open my mouth or smile the way i would normally when im at home,although im not like this when with my family. god i am weird
Old 18th January 2007, 16:58

Default Re: just a thought

That's me all over. I'm not as bad as I used to be though.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:05

ah i see...did it go away naturally or how did you get better?
Old 18th January 2007, 17:13

Yeah, I think our body language changes a lot more than we realise. I know my bandmates have said I don't walk as stiff as I used to when I first met them...I guess it happens really. You get nervous and you tense up.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:45

Yes i agree,whenever i get home from work my muscles ache so much because i have been tense all day and im afraid that i will get permanent wrinkles from smiling so much to try and cover up how miserable and nervous i am.
Old 18th January 2007, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelittlegirl
ah i see...did it go away naturally or how did you get better?
I just got better naturally. Some stuff happened to me though with hospital stays and stuff so I got more used to being around strangers. I still don't talk much though. Barely at all to strangers.
Old 18th January 2007, 18:30

Thats great! good on you! wish i could get a little better too.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:58

I think my voice goes lower and mor mumbly and more quiet when im feeling anxious and self consious.
Old 18th January 2007, 22:46

Mood
Inspired

its really a common symptom of SA. it does go away almost magically when your SA or self esteem improves.
I know thats not much help at the moment if you feel SA quite bad but it does show that it is a symptom of Sa and cant be got rid of by worrying about it
Old 19th January 2007, 02:28

nice one....yeah i have thoughts of grimacing then putting an axe in their skull....but i figure a false SMILE just about covers wot im thinking.your thoughts are natural in my book.....
Old 21st January 2007, 17:32

Thank yous for your advice....i think thats a good idea what you suggested about recording yourself on your phone 'imgonnabeawheel'....i think ill give that a try and probably cringe when i watch it back.lol...good luck with your interviews!
Old 21st January 2007, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelittlegirl
Just a thought that worries me,does anyones voice,walk,posture or facial expression change when they are in the company of people they don't feel comfortable with? My voice seems to be deeper and i mumble alot,when i am walking it seems akward and my feet are not in time with one another.....my posture is slumped over and stiff and i can't seem to open my mouth or smile the way i would normally when im at home,although im not like this when with my family. god i am weird
Your not wierd.Your just experiancing anxiety. I know a few people who have the same problems as you. Your not alone.
Old 21st January 2007, 18:51

thanks iammeagain...i feel better knowing im not alone....i just desperately want to be normal and fit in.
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:10

Mood
Inspired

I agree with other posters its completely nOt wierd behaviour. Its absolutely a normal response to feeling anxious . Theres little that you can do by concentrating on it and hoping you can learn to act "normal" . It goes away automatically when your anxiety is not so high. I know its not easy to reduce anxiety; I'm just saying its a waste of time trying to control your posture or walk etc.

However, it does seem to help a little to copy the walk of somone you know is confident. but dont do it in front of them or they might think youre taking the micky! I think this works not so much by the actual copy of their walk but it seems that you take on a little of their confidence.
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:30

I get this really badly too and I thought it was just me going mad! lol. Sometimes when I'm talking to people and feeling particularly self conscious and anxious, I blush furiously, my eyes go wide like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights and occasionaly my face twitches very noticably too which is awful and just makes the situation a million times worse because then the person I'm talking to wonders what's wrong with me :embarass: I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this so thank you for this thread and I wish you luck in overcoming it
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:22

Hi there

This is a classic sign of SA, usually through being nervous. I have had times where I could not even speak, during telephone interviews etc..

I put it down mainly to the self-conscious aspects of SA. We are too busy thinking about ourselves and how we come across, rather than focusing on what is happening around us. I have found adopting a 'curious' attitude about things really helps and allows you to adopt a look 'in to out' mentality, rather than the normal 'out to in' that we do.

If you can master this, you will find that you 'forget' about yourself, enabling you to relax a bit more. Try to really look at people, what they are dressed like, how is their hair, do they look anxious etc..all this will allow you to be more relaxed and forget about how you are feeling. With repetition, you will improve your self-esteem and confidence and go from strength to strength..
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:46

Thanks guys for all the advise. I usually try to walk confidently but it only ever lasts for afew minutes and then i tense up again. I need to focus on other people more than on myself,its just hard to break the habit of a lifetime. I'm glad i'm not the only one with these symptoms sylvan,thanks for your post,i wish us both luck in overcoming them!
Closed Thread