SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd September 2020, 17:06

Default Someone tell me this isn't a stupid idea?

Something I've been considering doing for a long time is taking part in an open mic night somewhere/probably just a small pub or somewhere like that and just playing one song. I've played guitar for ever, and not to brag but it is probably one of the few things that I'm actually quite good at (I have been told this objectively by people that don't know me that well as well) but I have hardly ever played in front of people, I've played 1 on 1 in front of a couple of people a hand full of times, but never played in front of an 'audience'.
If I did manage to make myself do this and it went well I know it would do wonders for me in lots of different ways but equally if it went badly it would probably knock me back to worse than where I was before.
This is one of those things that obviously I don't really need to do, I could quite easily continue whiling away the hours playing to me, myself, and I but one of those things that I would consider to do to push myself (out of my comfort zone) and who knows what else might come from it...
Old 2nd September 2020, 23:52

Default Re: Someone tell me this isn't a stupid idea?

I think you should attempt to do it.
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:19

Mood
Dreaming

Go for it

There are online open mics happening due to covid. that might be more comfortable for some people initially and be a potential stepping stone. Any open mics i've attended have always been supportive and clapped etc especially for first timers. It's a good way of getting involved in a like minded community without any pressure or commitment.
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:43

Mood
Tired

As someone has already mentioned, maybe take part in an online 'open mic' event,..

I've been enjoying watching amateur (and some professional ) guitarists contribute an uploaded piece to camera during lockdown, .I think it's a great idea,..

https://www.facebook.com/bumblefoot/...57422462023085
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:46

Mood
Bored

Do it.

You'll be crapping yourself beforehand, in the hour before your mouth will go dry and you'll have the "omg, what am I doing" moment but once you've done it you'll be walking on air for weeks.